Hyper 212 Evo or Hyper 612?

mgsstar

Should I get the CM Hyper 212 evo or the hyper 612 for my heatsink? Which one offers better temps?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

What's the CPU, case and RAM and are you OC'n?

212 Evo I think it is as opposed to the 212 Plus - I can't remember the one that has the groves between the heatpipes on the plate in which thermal paste normally escapes.

so will i get better performance with the hyper 212 evo than the hyper 612 because the 612 has wider fins for air to pass through...

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

so will i get better performance with the hyper 212 evo than the hyper 612 because the 612 has wider fins for air to pass through...

From memory the 612 will give you better performance however as Linus said last night in the live stream with his comments on GTX650's vs 660Ti's and their cost difference vs frames per dollar spent. The 212 will give you much better value for money than the 612.

From memory the 612 will give you better performance however as Linus said last night in the live stream with his comments on GTX650's vs 660Ti's and their cost difference vs frames per dollar spent. The 212 will give you much better value for money than the 612.

Is it possible for u to confirm if the 612 performs better than the 212 evo because i might buy the hyper 612 if it offers better cooling...

212 evo with a Corsair SP120 push and any other decent fan for pull will do you good. I can get 1.4v on my 2500k and stay in the mid 80's on a warm day

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

From a review on NewEgg:

i had reviewed this before and gave it a good rating but after using it over a week i did not like the temps i was getting so i did a test between the hyper 212 and this 612 i reseated the 612 and did a 30min test with prime95 the idle temps were 28,26,29,25 at 100% load the temps were 79,82,83,78, then i mounted the 212 the idle temps were 27 25,28,23, and at 100% for 30min were 69,73,75,67 as you can see the 212 has better temp, at first i could not believe the 212 could be better than the 612 so i remounted the 612 one more time and i got close to the same temps as before so the 612 is going back, i think what makes the 212 better is the direct contact heat pipes all test were done with artic silver paste im using the 2600k @ 4.8 ghz with 4.4 vcore

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165852

If you are looking for good temps don't go with a entry level cooler I own a 212 for my Core i5 3570K and at load I get form 40-50C and when I oc to 4.5Gzh I get 80-90C so its good for stock settings and way better then intel cooler but still not very good at all just get a H80 or something.

I would just go with the 212 for that price range. Skip the 612 and get a Noctua or Thermalright If you were really going for better cooling. I have the 212+ with a couple of GT's and it works just fine.

ok thks for all your answers ill probably get a d14 or stick with the 212 evo...

If you want to get a higher overclock I'd get the D14. Currently at 4.9GHz. The EVO should do fine at 4.5GHz depending on your chip.

Well the 612 appears to outpace an H80, so if you're serious about overclocking, spend the extra money and get it.

If you want to get a higher overclock I'd get the D14. Currently at 4.9GHz. The EVO should do fine at 4.5GHz depending on your chip.

My chip is the 3770k so the temps will be hotter than the previous generation... So probably need to get d14...

I was told by someone at Coolermaster that for vaule get the Hyper 212 Evo, I did and it's great and they said if I'm overclocking get 612

My chip is the 3770k so the temps will be hotter than the previous generation... So probably need to get d14...
Yeah I have the 3570k. They aren't too bad. Luckily I got my D14 for $39 on NCIX on Black Friday so look out for it to go on sale again!

Take it from a 212EVO user, its a beast and the value is amazing :D! I overclocked my FX CPU and its doing just fine :-) !

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

But my chip is an intel chip not an amd chip so there will be temp differences... Many people said that the 3770k generates more heat than the last generation intel chips. (correct me if i am wrong) So I probably need a suggestion which cpu cooler can oc my 3770k to at least 4.5ghz.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my case is a Shinobi window with 2 front 2000rpm fan intake, a side fan 2000rpm intake, and two 1000rpm fans at top exhast and one 2000rpm fan at the rear exhast.