Phillips x2 vs akg k7xx?

I'm upgrading my headphones and I was wondering which of the two would be better for listening to music And gaming for hours on end. My main concern is comfort though because I use my headphones for around 4-5 hours a day while doing research and reports. I think the k7xx needs an amp and the fiio e10k seems to be good enough to power it if I get the k7xx but does the x2 even need one? I don't know if my motherboard has any built in DAC (Asus z-170a). Thanks :)

OFC it has a build in DAC, if it did not have a DAC you would not be able to hear any sound from your PC since that is digital and sound is analog. Try with onboard first and for the love of god stay away from a e10k it is kinda meh.

Those two headphones are very very different. The k7xx are more neutral'ish with a bit of "warm" sound (not that warm) and the x2 has a more "fun" sound, the x2 gives up a true bass extention for a mid-bass boost, while the k7xx has less mid-bass, but has a better bass. The k7xx has the bigger soundstage.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

OFC it has a build in DAC, if it did not have a DAC you would not be able to hear any sound from your PC since that is digital and sound is analog. Try with onboard first and for the love of god stay away from a e10k it is kinda meh.

Those two headphones are very very different. The k7xx are more neutral'ish with a bit of "warm" sound (not that warm) and the x2 has a more "fun" sound, the x2 gives up a true bass extention for a mid-bass boost, while the k7xx has less mid-bass, but has a better bass. The k7xx has the bigger soundstage.

Comfort wise is the k7xx better for prolonged use? I feel like the x2 would be really heavy on your head. So for gaming k7xx would be better because of its bigger soundstage? And how about for like electronic music? Which would be better? Thanks 

18 minutes ago, Rosa said:

Comfort wise is the k7xx better for prolonged use? I feel like the x2 would be really heavy on your head. So for gaming k7xx would be better because of its bigger soundstage? And how about for like electronic music? Which would be better? Thanks 

The K7xx are very comfy and yeah the bigger soundstage helps in games, but they are both good for gaming. For electronic music maybe another member like @FloRolf can help

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

11 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

The K7xx are very comfy and yeah the bigger soundstage helps in games, but they are both good for gaming. For electronic music maybe another member like @FloRolf can help

I honestly don't think they are that comfy. They feel kinda cheap and they can't adjust the angles like other cans. 

I don't know about the x2 but I'd prefer something like my DT880s over the 7xx any day, comfort wise. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

2 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

I honestly don't think they are that comfy. They feel kinda cheap and they can't adjust the angles like other cans. 

I don't know about the x2 but I'd prefer something like my DT880s over the 7xx any day, comfort wise. 

they use the same system as the k612 and you can adjust the angles on the k612, the k7xx has a better head strap and better ear pads, so they are more comfy than my k612 and they are okay comfy. Dude it is insanely hard to beat DT line up when it comes to comfort.

6 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

they use the same system as the k612 and you can adjust the angles on the k612, the k7xx has a better head strap and better ear pads, so they are more comfy than my k612 and they are okay comfy. Dude it is insanely hard to beat DT line up when it comes to comfort.

But only to a certain extent. They still feel really cheap and make kinda squeeky noises when you put them on. 

IMHO the Fostex are extremely comfy, maybe even better than the dt880. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

17 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

But only to a certain extent. They still feel really cheap and make kinda squeeky noises when you put them on. 

IMHO the Fostex are extremely comfy, maybe even better than the dt880. 

that is also a completely different price class dude, my HE 560 also beats the dt880 in comfort, maybe we should get back to topic now..

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:
8 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

that is also a completely different price class dude, my HE 560 also beats the dt880 in comfort, maybe we should get back to topic now..

I don't want to spend more than 300 if that helps (that includes an amp or DAC) 

14 minutes ago, Rosa said:

The K7xx is great

20 minutes ago, Rosa said:

Either choice is good.  The K7XX might need an amp, which will bring it closer to the X2 in price, emphasis on might since most onboards should power them sufficiently.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

12 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

Either choice is good.  The K7XX might need an amp, which will bring it closer to the X2 in price, emphasis on might since most onboards should power them sufficiently.

What amp do you recommend for the k7xx? I was thinking the fiio e10k

But idk 

19 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

The K7xx is great

Yeah considering my main concern is comfort really because I wear headphones all the time at home I think this is a good choice, I'm also not super concerned with build quality because I'm very careful with my headphones and I think I've only dropped my current ones once or twice 

4 minutes ago, Rosa said:

Yeah considering my main concern is comfort really because I wear headphones all the time at home I think this is a good choice, I'm also not super concerned with build quality because I'm very careful with my headphones and I think I've only dropped my current ones once or twice 

Well let me put it this way, I can use my K612 for about 4 hours with no problem and the headband on those are much worse than the headband on the K7xx. Sure you can get more comfy headphones.

6 minutes ago, Rosa said:

What amp do you recommend for the k7xx? I was thinking the fiio e10k

But idk 

You do NOT need one unless they don't get loud enough and if they don't get loud enough then there is a pinned topic about dacs and amps with recommendations and stay away  from the e10K

27 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Well let me put it this way, I can use my K612 for about 4 hours with no problem and the headband on those are much worse than the headband on the K7xx. Sure you can get more comfy headphones.

You do NOT need one unless they don't get loud enough and if they don't get loud enough then there is a pinned topic about dacs and amps with recommendations and stay away  from the e10K

OK thanks :)

6 hours ago, Rosa said:

OK thanks :)

FYI there is nothing wrong with the e10k if you want a cheap amp/dac that actually looks decent sitting on your desk. Dackzy made it sound like its a terrible product and it isn't -- if you're onboard audio isn't cutting it, the e10k does exactly what it needs to do. sure there are better amps for more money, or the micca origen for just a little more (+$35) but in my opinion the micca is one ugly piece of hardware to put on your desk for a negligible sound improvement. it works great for me anyways ;D

46 minutes ago, ohitsluca said:

FYI there is nothing wrong with the e10k if you want a cheap amp/dac that actually looks decent sitting on your desk. Dackzy made it sound like its a terrible product and it isn't -- if you're onboard audio isn't cutting it, the e10k does exactly what it needs to do. sure there are better amps for more money, or the micca origen for just a little more (+$35) but in my opinion the micca is one ugly piece of hardware to put on your desk for a negligible sound improvement. it works great for me anyways ;D

How about the schiit magni 2? But I might go with the fiio, do you have any idea how much better something like 30-40$ more would sound like or contribute to the audio? Thanks :) what headphones do you have by the way

48 minutes ago, ohitsluca said:

Also do you have an opinion regarding the Phillips x2 vs k7xx?

7 hours ago, ohitsluca said:

I did not say it was terrible, it is just meh and you can get better things, I have tried a lot of amps and DACs and I have a pinned post about it where I recommend them and talk about them and I do not find it good enough to be there.

15 hours ago, Dackzy said:

I did not say it was terrible, it is just meh and you can get better things, I have tried a lot of amps and DACs and I have a pinned post about it where I recommend them and talk about them and I do not find it good enough to be there.

Best headphones for under 250? I guess max 300 

On 7/15/2016 at 10:24 AM, Rosa said:

I'm upgrading my headphones and I was wondering which of the two would be better for listening to music And gaming for hours on end. My main concern is comfort though because I use my headphones for around 4-5 hours a day while doing research and reports. I think the k7xx needs an amp and the fiio e10k seems to be good enough to power it if I get the k7xx but does the x2 even need one? I don't know if my motherboard has any built in DAC (Asus z-170a). Thanks :)

Buy the X2s.  They are amazing.  Arguably the best all-around headphones, and I have seen them on Amazon for as little as $225.  No amp required.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

40 minutes ago, Faceman said:

Buy the X2s.  They are amazing.  Arguably the best all-around headphones, and I have seen them on Amazon for as little as $225.  No amp required.

um no, that 100% depends on the person using them, I for one would never ever try them again, because I do not like them at all.

4 hours ago, Rosa said:

Best headphones for under 250? I guess max 300 

you see there is no such thing as the "best headphones", it all comes down to what sound signature you like.

I think people will need more info on your taste, needs, preferred type of songs, previous experience etc.

K7xx and x2 is not exactly catering to the same type of taste. It will be like eating something spicy, while i said it's a bit spicy, you might say it's really spicy

I like edm and house as well as some like pop radio music but I also listen to some instrumental (occasionally) but mainly edm. I game and watch a lot  videos, I don't have like any experience with any headphones all I have is the hyperx cloud 2. Music is my main priority though, and yeah mainly edm. I play csgo sometimes but mainly rocket league and you really don't even need audio for rocket league, I just listen to music when I play games so.