The Pokemon Go Phenomenon

Overkilled

Yes Pokemon Go the game that I have seen suck my friends in completely over the last few days. First it was the people who actually like pokemon but it somehow spread to people who would otherwise not even touch a Pokemon game. People who now go out of their means to capture them.

Anyone else realised this phenomenon personally?

Its just a game,its in a way good so they go out and walk and be all day on there phone just prank calling and eating junk food,but on the other side its a bad thing since people lose there mind and just get hit by a car etc...

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

It a mobile device, they are very suseptible to fads. Peer pressure and good marketing are to think for this. Thats because the marketing isn't commericals and companies like 'the old days' its social media and users.

Similar to Angry Birds and the one jumping bird game. Minecraft sort of fell into this catagory as well.

UPDATE: Jumping bird game = flappy birds?

3 hours ago, Jonnyswboy said:

I'm really enjoying it but I can see how it will get boring if they don't spice it up.

Yeah I agree it is fun right now but they really do need to add some stuff. Also they really need to fix their servers. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

It may be just me, but I wouldn't walk around wit a phone in hand. Why ? - someone could literally take it and run to the nearest pawn shop - and sell it. Or you may get mugged - for a phone.

S*** happens, especially in semi-poor (ish) countries

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

If you're good at something, never do it free.

It is early days and we'll have to wait to see what kind of staying power it has. I think a large part of the draw is the Pokemon side since the game mechanics are not exactly that complex, in the player side anyway.

I had to region change to get it early in the UK, and it went official today and all the younger people at work were all over it. I never grew up so I'd include myself in that...  created a fresh account to start again, and thankfully my preferred name wasn't taken already. So I need a new set of pokemon...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

26 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

people lose there mind and just get hit by a car etc...

In which case I commend Niantic for doing it's part to help cull the herd.

25 minutes ago, Overkilled said:

Yes Pokemon Go the game that I have seen suck my friends in completely over the last few days. First it was the people who actually like pokemon but it somehow spread to people who would otherwise not even touch a Pokemon game. People who now go out of their means to capture them.

In my opinion its pretty cool . It has much more appeal than Ingress, a  game with a similar strategy of "getting off your butt and moving around". + It helps you meet new people in person, and whether thats your cup of tea or not, you have to admit its a lot more productive than sitting at home and grammar Naziing the hell out of youtube comments. 

Nevertheless, the drawbacks do exist...one has to be careful

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

Currently, the features are pretty limited but the game is still fun. I have very high hopes for this game, such as actual battling, all Pokemon being added to the game, more areas in rural areas, etc.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

36 minutes ago, Overkilled said:

A good case study on it.

My Build: Phoenix

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

The game is pretty good for just launching.  It was especially smart to launch with only the original pokemon, bringing the nostalgia factor in for people who haven't played in ages.  It also gives them room to add more later.

I'm hoping they address a few issues with the game.  #1 being battery drain and the requirement to have your screen on 100% of the time, even with battery saver. 

And they can also expand the game to smart watches, even if it's just notifications and pokestops only, that would add more to the game. 

Great start... with potential to either be a quick fad or a good platform to keep going.

I've been enjoying the shit out of this game since it released.  It's actually got me off my lazy ass and outside walking.  They really need to fix the server issues though, there are a bunch.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

My girlfriend hadn't touched pokemon  in her whole life and about 2 days ago she woke up and told me she downloaded pokemon go, and that we should go hunting :D . its amazing imo.

i didn't like playing it alone, but its good to play with someone you like

11 hours ago, TriFlix Films said:

It a mobile device, they are very suseptible to fads. Peer pressure and good marketing are to think for this. Thats because the marketing isn't commericals and companies like 'the old days' its social media and users. Similar to Angry Birds and the one jumping bird game. Minecraft sort of fell into this catagory as well.

This is true but at the same time the stats don't lie. In terms of simultaneous active users? This is the biggest mobile game ever. It has overtaken Candy Crush which was the previous number 1. It's also quite a bit higher than previous fads like Draw Something and Flappy Birds. So regardless of whether it does last it's still a huge deal. And you could be right, this might be just a fad in the same way all of those others were (except maybe Candy Crush which has lasted). The fact that it was an overnight hit means that it's probably not going to get bigger. It could go as quickly as those other fads did. But it is still huge.

With that said it does have one advantage over some of the previous fad mobile games. Draw Something and Flappy Bird? There's not really any way to expand those games, when the game starts to get boring there's nothing the dev can do to stop you from leaving. With Candy Crush they held onto players by adding more levels, more modes and game variations. I think Pokemon is probably closer to Candy Crush in that respect. If people start walking away from the game all they need to do is add the next batch of Pokemon, add features like trading and battling or make a legendary Pokemon appear. All of a sudden people would have another reason to keep playing.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

14 hours ago, I am an SSD said:

In my opinion its pretty cool . It has much more appeal than Ingress, a  game with a similar strategy of "getting off your butt and moving around". + It helps you meet new people in person, and whether thats your cup of tea or not, you have to admit its a lot more productive than sitting at home and grammar Naziing the hell out of youtube comments. 

Nevertheless, the drawbacks do exist...one has to be careful

Ingress was a great game... hacking portals, reactors, etc. Factions were a big thing in there. Played it for 2 months, then I almost got my phone stolen. It started to become boring, also. Then I ditched it.

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

If you're good at something, never do it free.

On 7/14/2016 at 11:53 AM, I am an SSD said:

+ It helps you meet new people in person

And want to punch them in the face and take their phone so they don't keep taking your gym.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS