Excuse me when I go retrieve back my lost IQ when reading this article

Megazero

So thanks to TotalBiscuit 

And GamerNexus

I got the "pleasure" to read this article

http://motherboard.vice.com/en_au/read/pc-gaming-is-still-way-too-hard

And reading that article kinda make me feel dumber and dumber as I progress with it... It took an editor from a side call "Motherboard" 1 days to check the compatibility of his component, 5 hours to build it, and cut himself and crying about it, to build a PC. AND he end the article with this

Sadly, most players will never make the switch because they rightly assume that it's too much of a headache. I can tell you with some authority, it is.

I can tell you with some authority, it is.

with some authority

authority

Yeah.........

Also as GamerNexus point out, he keep "complaining" about PC building have no standardized stuff while we have PCIE, SATA, ATX classification etc, and pointing to iMac as the "prime example" of "standardized" computer part/building

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

some being the key word.  Some meaning none xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

some being the key word.  Some meaning none xD 

Pretty sure that "some" usually mean more than nothing :P But in this case... yeah

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Well I guess it would be hard if you know nothing about building and had never done it before... I can see it taking days to learn the necessary stuff, check compatibility, and build it, but if you've ever done any of that before, it certainly isn't difficult.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well I guess it would be hard if you know nothing about building and had never done it before... I can see it taking days to learn the necessary stuff, check compatibility, and build it, but if you've ever done any of that before, it certainly isn't difficult.

I still remember the first time I build my computer, I come here, ask for help to pick parts and someone show me PcPartPicker within like 5 minutes, I spend like 30 mins picking the part, then bookmarked it for when I actually go to buy the stuff, come back home with them and follow Linus's video for like 2 hours or so...

I also vaguely remember seeing another guy on that subforum (new build and planing) from UK who spend 2000 pounds buying computer's parts and then have no idea how to build it, so me and another guy agree to go on Skype video chat with him to talk him through the step and build it within also like 2 hours, with us only see the low quality video from the camera on his phone when he try to show us the connector and ask is this the correct one to connect this and that.

Well for me that article is 100% stupid.

Building PC isn't hard. At least not for me.

5 hours to build it?

It takes like 30min to put everything together ... cable managment might take some time but that's it

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Seriously if you think about it , we've all been at this point & have thought about it once atleast while building/planning , have to agree with these points tho

• Step 1: Have an unreasonable amount of disposable income.
  • Step 2: Have an unreasonable amount of time to research, shop around, and assemble parts for your computer.
  • Step 3: Get used to the idea that this is something you're going to have to keep investing time and money in as long as you want to stay at the cutting edge or recommended specifications range for new PC games.

But i think the whole idea is over exaggerated to create the "news hype" push readers to do exactly what OP did as to share their site link & get traffic, bottom line it's business motto, they think , you know that worse thing than clickbait stuff, Playing with tension & adding more weight to the tension & let everyone else come in & balance things , like PCMASTER vs Console thing

Details separate people.

8 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Seriously if you think about it , we've all been at this point & have thought about it once atleast while building/planning , have to agree with these points tho

• Step 1: Have an unreasonable amount of disposable income.
  • Step 2: Have an unreasonable amount of time to research, shop around, and assemble parts for your computer.
  • Step 3: Get used to the idea that this is something you're going to have to keep investing time and money in as long as you want to stay at the cutting edge or recommended specifications range for new PC games.

But i think the whole idea is over exaggerated to create the "news hype" push readers to do exactly what OP did as to share their site link & get traffic, bottom line it's business motto, they think , you know that worse thing than clickbait stuff, Playing with tension & adding more weight to the tension & let everyone else come in & balance things , like PCMASTER vs Console thing

Of those 3 "step", I only slightly agree with the 3rd one. most PC game recommend spec is still a few years old cards or 2-3 gens back. We(or atleast me) usually upgrade because it's fun, not because it's necessary 

As for the 1st "step", no, you need a computer anyway to work, and I would argue to death with anyone who think tablets or smartphone alone is enough for those (at least in their current form), with the Surface being the closest thing that can bridge the gap between the 2. And that's not to mention those who actually work infront of one every single day.

As for "step" 2, again no, unless "around 1 hour asking in this forum" and "around 2 hours at best building it" is "unreasonable amount of time"

But yeah, I have a hardtime decided whether he is really dumb or writing this to "attract" viewer. But still, the site is call "Motherboard" for crying out loud

This hurt to read.

Some guy called my office, trying to sell me computers. I just said "oh you mean those little box's with the tv on top? Yeah, our accountant has some". He promptly gave up and hung up the phone lol

It's not for everyone. That's why people buy prebuilts (or becasuse they offer custom solutions beyond your abilities cause you're not a friggin modder with a chainsaw and engineering background).

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Last February when I upgraded the prebuilt I had bought the month before from Best Buy (this was before I found out firsthand how ridiculously simple it is to build a computer) it took me 3 days to reassemble it...  

In defense I was kind of taking a slow pace taking it apart and doing the work in general.  Though what really held me up was:

Day 1: On Thursday of the week in question I took it apart and put the new PSU into my case then moved the CPU and cooler to the new mb followed by placing the new RAM on the new mb.  Then I had to stop for the day because I realized I didn't have enough mb standoff screws since the prebuilt had come with a micro ATX board and my new mb is full ATX and there were extra screws included.

Day 2: Call local PC repair shop to ask about what screws to get and they end up offering to give me some (aren't they nice? lol) so I go get those and then a 3/16 inch nut driver from a hardware store.  Get home and install the mb in the case followed by my GTX 970.  Then when I was about to screw the SSDs, and HDD into the plastic things that hold them in the drive bays I realized that for a second time that I was done for the day because I didn't have enough screws for the drive bays.

Day 3: I again called the PC repair place and again they were nice and gave me some screws for the drive bays.  I get home and screw the SSDs and HDD into the plastic things and put them into the drive bays.  Finally I plug the various cables into everything and at last I was done.  

Building it at least so I count that as 3 days even though it was Monday morning before I got video output to my monitor to work.  For some reason I think I had to uno,if it from the wall outlet and plug it back in before it would work.  Oh and I had to manually input the timings for my RAM and set it to 2800MHz instead of the rated OC speed of 3000 so I didn't get blue screen crashes/errors from enabling the XMP profile.  (Still not sure why the RAM and/my mb hates the XMP profile.)

So I guess the main reason it took me more than even one full day was because I was missing some stupid screws that should've been included. (since cases come with enough screws for all the possible things you could put in them which means whoever built the desktop I'd bought deliberately withheld them when selling the PC to Best Buy). And of course my having been unaware that you need a nut driver for those hex shaped mb standoff screws.  

It really confuses me why anytime I've seen a post on the gamefaqs PC boards or even here on LTT asking for first time build advice/help why no one ever thinks to say "get a 3/16 inch nut driver". 

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

It really confuses me why anytime I've seen a post on the gamefaqs PC boards or even here on LTT asking for first time build advice/help why no one ever thinks to say "get a 3/16 inch nut driver". 

Probably because it was brought up once and the word scared people xD 

It's part of Vice media, expect nothing less.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

2 hours ago, MaxBunny said:

It's not for everyone. That's why people buy prebuilts (or becasuse they offer custom solutions beyond your abilities cause you're not a friggin modder with a chainsaw and engineering background).

I feel like I should about 80% disagree with you sorry.  This is coming from someone (myself) who prior to last February had zero experience building a PC.

I didn't know anything about it and was very nervous about it.  Worried I'd mess something up and it wouldn't work after I was done or that I'd get stuck halfway through.  

But it turned out to be scary how easy it was.  I've seen people compare building a PC to Legos for adults and that's basically true.  90% of the work is plugging things into matching connectors.  The rest is mostly common sense like knowing not to use too much thermal compound, using an anti-static wrist strap, don't touch the red switch on the PSU if it has one, etc.  

Sure there will be cases where having it custom build by a company like iBuyPower or buying a prebuilt can be convenient but given the low level of difficulty I'd say the only people who building your own is not for are the type of people that don't care to try.  That convince themselves it'd take too long or be too hard or are unaware how much cheaper and better quality a PC can be if you build it yourself.

You do have a point about situations where a person wants a custom modded case that they don't have the DIY skills to handle making on their own.  In that case it'd definitely be smarter to have someone or a company do it for you so you're sure it's done right.

Sorry if I seem overly critical.  It's just that given how easy I've come to realize PC building is and how much fun it can be I feel compelled to strongly suggest it when someone mentions buying a prebuilt or getting a PC from iBuyPower or similar custom PC companies.  ?

21 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Probably because it was brought up once and the word scared people xD 

Please tell me you're joking?    Oh dear people have such dirty minds..  ? lol 

I tried to use needle nose pliers on the mb standoff screws before I got the nut driver and let me tell you it did not work well at all.  I accidentally scratched up a few spots inside my case and the standoff screws too.  

This guy is pretty uninformed and ignorant. With the talk about Apple he confirms it. 

Also: PC gaming doesn't nexessarily require a custom PC.

If you want easy get any midrange multimedia/gaming branded system from Medion or some other generic brand for around 500 bucks.

You will still get better fps than consoles, most likely.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

The initial time you spend to do the research and build it is worth it. Not really hard at all when you have helpful forums like this one.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

Umm... You'd think by now most people would be wise enough to just ask for help instead of trying to do it all themselves.

I mean, come on, I just googled "gaming pc build", first link at the top 

http://www.pcgamer.com/best-gaming-pc/

Offer what seems to be very good builds based on recent components, for cheap. So there goes out the whole "research part".

Then all someone would need to do at that point, is go to a webstore like NCIX and have them build that PC for them.

That or just come here on LTT. Surely some of them would go on youtube and look up the build guides that LTT has done, find out about the forum, come here and ask what a good PC would be for their budget and usage... etc etc...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I am not even half way in and I stumbled across this golden nugget

" I just didn't want to manage storage across multiple drives"

Whaaa??? Is that a thing? Are there people in the world besides this dude that cares about this sort of thing?  If so Mind=Blown

9 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I feel like I should about 80% disagree with you sorry.

I still don't understand why people can't have opposing views without feeling like they're offering a rebuttal to someone's claim. Opposing sides can all have valid opinions. ^^

But one thing I hope we both can agree on is that iBuyPower is ****. Any company that pairs an i7 with an r7 240 to cut corners and still finds the audacity to call it a "gaming rig" doesn't deserve to be in that space. But there's a reason they're sold in Wal-Marts and Best Buys.

I built my first PC in November of 2014. I had saved enough money to but the stuff Linus always talked about on his videos, so I went to my local hardware store (Amazon wasn't available in my country at the time) and bought the baddest assest components I could afford, and within the next 2 hours I was playing Starcraft 2 on extreme settings, something I had only dreamed about doing on my MacBook. 

It was like waking up from a bad dream. I could now play games the way they were meant to be played with my GTX 970 and discovered the  robberies that were being committed at places like GameStop. It changed the way I saw gaming. 

And, on top of that, I had a feeling of accomplishment when everything worked the way it was supposed to. 

Now, when someone comes and says to me that building a PC is hard and that you should play on a console or a Mac intead, it causes sort of the same reaction in me as if you told a catholic that Jesus is stupid. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

I'm pretty sure the retardation on the part of the writer was deliberate to attract traffic from outraged people.

So great job posting that link and not - say - a pastebin link with text of the article or better yet nothing at all.

I just love GN's half smile all the way thru his response, knowing inside how stupid the author and the whole debate is lol

Longboarders/ skaters message me!