Good GPU thermal paste

Once again, I need some advice from you community!

I wasn't sure where to post this considering it is cooling based, but it relates to GPU. Please tell me if the topic should be moved.

I need to fully clean my GPUs (Remove the cooler completely) because they are stuffed with dust and a air can is not doing it and I will need to re-paste the GPUs. I have two GTX 260 Core 216 and a tube of Arctic Silver 5 that I used for my CPU. 

I am still using the stock air cooler from EVGA.

Do you think that I should use it or go for another brand more adapted to the GPU thermal requirements and large surface area?

Thanks

Just use the same on that you use for your CPU. Just be careful because it is applied differently.

Quote me to get a reply!

IC diamond

IC diamond is recommend by Linus but he may have something like Artic Silver 5. He could use the one he has.

Quote me to get a reply!

IC diamond is recommend by Linus but he may have something like Artic Silver 5. He could use the one he has.

Ok and in the case that I don't have any. What type would you recommend?

I'm not sure that I will have enough for both GPU...

I would say IC diamond. Non conductive is good because if you mess up you "may" not kill you parts. You just have to put a tiny pea on the CPU and the GPU doesn't need that much either. So I'd say one tube of IC diamond.

Quote me to get a reply!

I didn't read the op, that will work

Good tutorial on it by @Wats if you want a tutorial: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/10418-how-to-change-your-gpus-thermal-paste-with-pictures/

I would use the one that you have so you won't have to buy it.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

ketchup and chocolate work

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I've written it 100 times, ill write a guide soon.

Go with something that is silver or diamond based (higher percentage the better) and make sure the surface is spotless and grease free, and apply it in the dead center, just like a cpu and fit the cooler and then take it off and see how it spread and see if you need to put on more or less, you want as much coverage as possible BUT you want it as thin as possible, imagine the thinnest film that almost dissappears if you looked at it side on....and dont spread it with a spatula!

mx2 i hear is good and linus seems to like it...I use antec formula 7 (and 6 and 5 before that) because its the best maplin has, £10 for 4 grams...i need to start buying in bulk.

i think applying paste really well is a bit of an art it takes time and practice. most pastes are within 0.5 to 1 degree of each other and 2 identacle applications (by you 1 after the other) could possibly make a similar difference...

that said done badly (too much, with an air gap, flowing out the side with the heatsink not install thoughtfully) could cause a big difference.

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

Get whatever thermal paste that is cheaper than mailing a gpu.

...and your best screw driver.

Good tutorial on it by @Wats if you want a tutorial: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/10418-how-to-change-your-gpus-thermal-paste-with-pictures/

I would use the one that you have so you won't have to buy it.

Nice, thx for the link.

After looking it up, I will have enough AS5 for one card at least so I'll try it on one of them to see the result and order more if needed or maybe another brand like MX-2 or IC Diamond. It depends what I can easily get at that time.

Thanks for the advice

Get whatever thermal paste that is cheaper than mailing a gpu.

...and your best screw driver.

Nice tutorial btw. It will be very helpful ;)

Update

So today I cleaned one of my GPU and I found something weird with the previous AS5 application I did last year (or two years ago, I don't remember).

I don't know what could be the cause of that but the outside of the chip turned orange/brown (see links).

http://i.imgur.com/Yyw4FEW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kPSl9DQ.jpg

Have anyone ever saw that? 

Update

So today I cleaned one of my GPU and I found something weird with the previous AS5 application I did last year (or two years ago, I don't remember).

I don't know what could be the cause of that but the outside of the chip turned orange/brown (see links).

http://i.imgur.com/Yyw4FEW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kPSl9DQ.jpg

Have anyone ever saw that? 

Did you just clean it with just a dry piece of paper? I would try to see if you can use rubbing alcohol on a piece of paper/coffee filter and try scraping it using the piece of paper with your fingertip to see if it will come off.

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Did you just clean it with just a dry piece of paper? I would try to see if you can use rubbing alcohol on a piece of paper/coffee filter and try scraping it using the piece of paper with your fingertip to see if it will come off.

Yes I was able to clean it properly with 99% isopropyl alcohol. It looked like the thermal compound was a bit burned on the side. 

EDIT:

The pictures were taken before trying to remove the compound.

Yes I was able to clean it properly with 99% isopropyl alcohol. It looked like the thermal compound was a bit burned on the side. 

I would follow the guide that I posted above for applying thermal paste and reassemble it. As long as the temps and it is making good contact its good imo.

I would follow the guide that I posted above for applying thermal paste and reassemble it. As long as the temps and it is making good contact its good imo.

That's what I did but I wanted to avoid doing the same mistake again. The temps look good, I was able to drop the temperatures from 20 degres at full load just by repasting and cleaning the cooler.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

mustard is better than rosewill thermal paste ._.

Maybe but it would dry in less than a day...and smell bad.