TunnelBear and Pokemon GO in Canada- First 5 minutes.

Today TunnelBear  was pretty cool.  For the last few days I'm been itching to try Pokemon Go.  For the last few days I've been just staring at "Not Available in you region" on the Google Play store with udder sadness and hearing other people talk about it with jealousy.  Ingress go me hooked in augmented reality gaming and I had to have this Pokemon DLC.  Well,  No longer am I a "have-not Pokemon Go", today TunnelBear made me a have.

Steps to achieve Pokemon Go Greatness within Canada:

1. Create new Google account making sure to specify your account as being in the sucky ol USA  slightly less awesome United States of America.   I just hopped into Incognito mode for a couple minutes to make the account.

2. Add this new Google account to your cell phone.  Don't worry, Android supports multiple Google accounts.

3 Install TunnelBear. Make account. Flick the single button to turn on the VPN.

4. Open Google Play Store, switch to the USA account, Search "Pokemon GO"

5. Be delighted that the stupid "Chat for Pokemon Go" isn't the first option.

And I even have 450MB to go this month before I even have to think about paying anything.

Not bad TunnelBear.. Not bad.  No janky APK sideloading for me.

Now for Pokemon GO ...

hold on ..

I think I see something ...

brb

Are pokestops and gyms placed in canada? If so why is it not available?

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

Gyms and Pokestops are based on Ingress portals which are world wide.

Pokemon Go is only available in the USA at the moment, at least until server issues are resolved.

Correction: US, Australia and New Zealand.

On 2016-07-13 at 9:52 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

Yes that is also an option, although I had already implied I would rather not do that.  Considering I already had a USA Google account this was easier.  Plus Niantic could potentially decided to ban people that sideload the app.  To my understanding it has happened with sideloading Ingress.  Also I'm not interested in verifying random APK files or dealing with updating random APK files.  Pokemon GO has already updated once and will likely update more.

On 14/07/2016 at 2:04 AM, walterj89 said:

Yes, Captain Obvious, that is also an option.  Considering I already had a USA Google account this was easier.  Plus Niantic could potentially decided to ban people that sideload the app.  To my understanding it has happened with sideloading Ingress.  Also I'm not interested in verifying random APK files or dealing with updating random APK files.  Pokemon GO has already updated once and will likely update more.

Really? I wasn't aware that Ingress had banned users who installed via APK. 

I do know that they had a few ban waves for people who tried to spoof their location.

2 hours ago, Biskuits said:

Really? I wasn't aware that Ingress had banned users who installed via APK. 

I do know that they had a few ban waves for people who tried to spoof their location.

Yeah i also read a Lot of Bad APKs that are infected are circulating around But i would assume this is much less of a problem for those on this forum then the main stream But OPs Way seemes to be the best overall Option IMO get updates and such at right times. 

Also Banning side loaded apps might happen due to some Being modified to be able to just click and walk in the game and not just using a spoof app. just seems like a good amount of what ifs compared to the VPN option to get the app