Please help, I have a keyboard question

UnicornStrength

Hey, I currently have a Razor Deathstalker and i've had it for a few years and its really good. This keyboard is not like the one most people use, and what I mean by that is, the keys aren't thick, like the ones in mechanical keyboards or the old ones, these keys are like the thin ones. I believe the term is called "slim."   I was wondering if there is any mechanical keyboards out there that have the thin keys like the razor deathstalker i'm using. If anyone can please help me out that would be very great tysm for reading.

if you're looking for a new keyboard, the thickness of the keycaps doesnt really make a difference, they're mostly the thick shape "because it's always been that way".

any noticeable difference is something you get used to within a few minutes. i actually swap between a "classic full heigth keys" keyboard and a "slim" keyboard constantly, and it honestly doesnt make a dang difference.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if you're looking for a new keyboard, the thickness of the keycaps doesnt really make a difference, they're mostly the thick shape "because it's always been that way".

any noticeable difference is something you get used to within a few minutes. i actually swap between a "classic full heigth keys" keyboard and a "slim" keyboard constantly, and it honestly doesnt make a dang difference.

The thing is, it's not as if I can't use the thick ones, and I do in like school and stuff, but I home wise, I really can't the only keyboard i can use is slim, so if you know of any that are mechanical that would be great, I saw one last year but I can't seem to remember. I've been looking everywhere for one and I can't seem to find one.

Is it a membrane keyboard? The Steelseries Apex line also use membranes.

Or a chiclet keyboard? Like the Reddragon Karura

2 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

Is it a membrane keyboard? The Steelseries Apex line also use membranes.

Or a chiclet keyboard? Like the Reddragon Karura

Idk what the differences are but I just searched up membrane keyboard and the one I have Razor Deathstalker is a membrane keyboard according to that. But I'm looking for  mechanical one, that has the thin keys.

2 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

Does it look like this?

IMG_20150813_110916.jpg

Yes, pretty sure that's exactly what I have. It looks the same but mine looks bigger but that's probably because its different in photo than irl.

7 minutes ago, UnicornStrength said:

Idk what the differences are but I just searched up membrane keyboard and the one I have Razor Deathstalker is a membrane keyboard according to that. But I'm looking for  mechanical one, that has the thin keys.

5 minutes ago, UnicornStrength said:

Yes, pretty sure that's exactly what I have. It looks the same but mine looks bigger but that's probably because its different in photo than irl.

Ok, that's a chiclet.

I'm far from being a keyboard expert but the way I see the different switches are three features: Travel distance, Actuation Point, and shape of the key. Different switches are designed around the different features. A mechanical has a lot of travel distance, the actuation point varies per switch. A chiclet has very little travel distance and an actuation point that is somewhat light. If a company made a mechanical that had short travel distance, you would still end up to a actuation point that is very similar to a chiclet. So a thin mechanical really wouldn't feel that much different than a chiclet in my head. And because the key is much shorter, they would have to have a similar key shape as the chiclet, So, I wouldn't bother to find a short mechanical keyboard because, in my head, I can't see too much of a difference

As far as I know there is no mechanical chicklit keyboard. Your best bet would be to get a mechanical keyboard with cherry mx speed switches. These activate quicker than the other switches on the market. Put some O-rings on the switches and you'd also get that short travel distance you get from chicklit and this shouldn't be a problem as mx speed switches activate much higher than most other switches. If this does not work for you then just get another chicklit keyboard.

Doomsday: CPU : i5 6600k, GPU : MSI Gaming GTX 1070, RAM : 16GB G.Skill DDR4 2400, MB : MSI Gaming M5 Z170A, Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 Evo/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda, PSU : EVGA SuperNova GS 550, Case : Phanteks Eclipse P400, CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i, Monitor : Acer 1440p60 / Asus 1080p60 OS Windows 10 Pro Audio : Sennheiser HD 598SE / SMSL SD-793-II / Blue Snowball Steam : Vlad the Inhaler

One of the big benefits to a mechanical keyboard is the increased travel over a membrane keyboard. This is counter to the idea of a chicklet keyboard which is designed to have really low travel. As such no one makes a mechanical switch with an extremely low profile (it would have to be about 2% or less of the height of a standard mechanical switch) for use in a chicklet keyboard. Your only option is to get another chicklet keyboard as mechanical keyboards with that thin of a profile and travel distance simply do not exist.

On 7/12/2016 at 1:15 PM, UnicornStrength said:

Hey, I currently have a Razor Deathstalker and i've had it for a few years and its really good. This keyboard is not like the one most people use, and what I mean by that is, the keys aren't thick, like the ones in mechanical keyboards or the old ones, these keys are like the thin ones. I believe the term is called "slim."   I was wondering if there is any mechanical keyboards out there that have the thin keys like the razor deathstalker i'm using. If anyone can please help me out that would be very great tysm for reading.

No, I haven't ever seen a mechanical keyboard with keycaps like the Razer Deathstalker. this is because mechanical key switches are too tall to accommodate a thin keycap like the one on the Razer Deathstalker.

13 minutes ago, EslyteMedia said:

No, I haven't ever seen a mechanical keyboard with keycaps like the Razer Deathstalker. this is because mechanical key switches are too tall to accommodate a thin keycap like the one on the Razer Deathstalker.

There are no mechanical keyboards that are chiclet keyboard. The Razer Deathstalker is a membrane keyboard, the same keyboards used in laptops and Mac keyboards. If you want a chiclet then get one from Mac. If you want to get a mechanical keyboard then get used to a full size height keyboard as mechanical switches are much better than membrane/chiclet keyboards.

The deathstalker is a slim keyboard with a smaller profile. The slimmest mechanical keyboard that comes to mind for me is the steelseries apex which uses qs1 switches which is steelseries own developed keyswitch.