Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johners

Blizzard to Introduce a Silence Penalty to World of Warcraft

Posted · Original PosterOP

Blizzard Entertainment, creators of the popular franchises WarCraft and StarCraft, are to introduce a Silence Penalty to the hit MMORPG World of WarCraft.

In a post onto the News section of the US World of Warcraft website, the World of Warcraft development team have outlined their plan to introduce a penalty to players who spam or abuse other players in chat. This will work similar to other Blizzard titles in which you use the built-in report function to notify the Game Masters of players who are spamming or being abusive. They'll then review the situation and then apply a Silence to your account.

In the case of World of Warcraft, the silence will be 24 hours for the first occurrence and then it will double every time. There is also no cap to how long your silence can be. So if you get silence three times, you'll have be silence for 24, 48 and then 96 hours. No information has been given to indicate if there is a reset period but if there isn't then you could end up with 384 hour silence (16 days) on your 5th silence. Taken from the post, here is a list of what you can and cannot do when silenced.

Silenced Players Are Unable to:

• Talk in Instance Chat (Raid, Party, and Battlegrounds)
  • Talk in global channels that are auto joined (such as General or Trade)
  • Create Calendar Invites/Events
  • Send in-game mail
  • Send Party Invitations
  • Send War Game Invitations
  • Send Invitations to Duel
  • Update a Premade Group Listing
  • Create a New List for a Premade Group

Silenced Players Are Able to:

• Whisper to friends (both WoW friends and Battle.net Friends)
  • Reply to Whispers from Non-friends
  • Party/Raid Chat (with Invited Players)
  • Create Parties and Raids
  • Talk in Global Channels that have a moderator
  • Share Quests

You won't be completely silenced but you won't be able to talk in public chat channels or be able to form a group using the premade group creator (who usually requires you tlaking to other players). Blizzard will also let you talk to other players if they whisper (the same as a private message) you first. Global Chat Channels with a moderator are channels that users create as well as guild chat.

I'm not entirely concerned about this feature being added. Blizzard are pretty alright with people talking about whatever they like, as long as it is legal and not overly offensive. The feature is designed to target people who constantly flame people in dungeons, raids and most content that involves pairing players together randomly. There is some room for abuse but Blizzard, unlike some other companies, actually have decent customer response that will do what they can to help solve problems while also maintaining order among the player base.

Source: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/20177160/new-silence-penalty-coming-to-world-of-warcraft-7-12-2016

Everytime I hit my funny bone unexpectedly it's like my own personal Pearl Harbour.

Don't call it a grave, it's the future you chose.

Project JAPC Build Log

I can think of many, many games which could benefit from this. 

PC - NZXT 340 Black, Intel i7 6700k, Noctua NH-U9S, 16GB Corsair DDR 4 2133mhz, Asus H170 Pro Gaming , Gigabyte 1080 OC Windforce, Samsung 860 250GB (OS) Samsung 850 Evo 250GB (Games) Samsung 840 Evo 500GB (games)

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Can't you just leave the game running while you are sleeping or work?

CPU: i9 9900K////GPU: gtx 2080 Ti////RAM: 32gB DDR4 3000mhz ////MOBO: rog z390 e gaming////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, 69ing Rainbow Dash said:

Can't you just leave the game running while you are sleeping or work?

It is 24 hours real time so it will time out regardless of you playing or not.

Everytime I hit my funny bone unexpectedly it's like my own personal Pearl Harbour.

Don't call it a grave, it's the future you chose.

Project JAPC Build Log

Muting was in games since ages, runescape had it since almost a decade or so.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

yay. Now if i ever decide to play World of Warcrack i will not be bothered by Noobs. Unless i count myself as a noob cos i've never played xD.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

iPhone 8 Plus (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with 2019 GPU upgrade and 2020 RAM upgrade and 2020 HDD upgrade) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

doesn't seem severe enough imo

it still lets you talk with your friends and play with said friends, which seems to still not put any weight in treating strangers online any better or worse than before

Although I have nothing positive to say in the gameplay direction World of Warcraft is taking (But that's my personal opinion, please don't flame me about it), I have to admit that seems pretty decent, and i'd love to see it in effect, definitely would've preferred to have seen it a few years ago, but better late than never.

Good! I'm glad they're adding this, long overdue I'd say.

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

They are doing this for Overwatch as well when you report people for various things.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Took'em long enough...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

It sounds like a good thing, but I hope that the GMs don't just apply the silence with out actually reviewing the case. Because I know in trade channels there's sometimes a lot of spam, and because the garrison is connected to the trade channel I would sometimes find myself disconnecting myself from the trade channel.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Tyler :x
Volume / Normalized  100% / 74% (content loudness 2.7dB)

6 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Funny, the WoW player base has imposed a silence penalty on Blizzard as well, as in silently going away slowly but surely.

I still like WoW, but I've been in a bit of a weird place the past few months in regards to me fracturing my ankle, finishing up this past school year, working on some things I planned on doing this summer and finding a job. Oh and distractions such as LTT and Youtube have kinda distracted me from wanting to play more WoW. The only thing is, once I hit lvl 100 on my ally Panda Monk, I've struggled with some of the end game stuff and getting better gear because before this last hiatus I got his gear level to like around 615 which kinda still sucks but it's better than being like 590 or 600. But I'm still figuring out this transmog stuff. I figured out how to make better and maybe ugly gear look like maybe worse but better looking gear but transmogs are still confusing. 

I think WoW still has a few expansions left in it, but Blizz still makes a lot of money off WoW.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Tyler :x
Volume / Normalized  100% / 74% (content loudness 2.7dB)

I'm surprised it took blizzard almost 12 years to implement something like this. The ban on sending in-game mail seems a bit extreme. I hope that's only blocking you from sending mail to other accounts. It would  really suck to get flagged and not be able to mail items and gold around your characters.

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

I think it will be good for the community, too many people run their mouths off and say all kinds of terrible things because of the consequence free environment we play in. Sure we already have an ignore system but why should hundreds or even thousands of people on a server have to all ignore a well known trade troll/general douchebag when this system can stop him from poisoning the community full stop (with the added benefit of still being able to keep his subscription) 

Personally in the past i would have loved to see these types permanently banned but this system seems like a pretty good alternative. I'm sick of hearing the whole line that its the internet and you need to just harden up and ignore it, its not about being hard/tough/growing thick skin, i just think that we should all treat each other with a basic level of respect and human decency. I wouldn't say something to a person in-game that i wasn't willing to say to a persons face in real life.    

Runescape has had mute bans for 16 years. About time Blizzard followed suit.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS