Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guy1524

Asus ROG Laptop will not boot

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Is there anyway I can diagnose what is wrong with my Asus ROG laptop from september 2015.  The power indicator immediately turns off after attempting to turn it on.  The screen doesn't light up at all.  The charging indicator is on when plugged in however.  I have no electrical knowledge.  The laptop broke a few months ago when through the day it become more and more unstable freezing and turning off a lot.  By the end of the day the machine because useless.  Luckily it had nothing to do w/ my SSD and I took it out and am using it now in my new desktop but I would like to see if there are any solutions before trying to get a refund or a repair because I had tinkered w/ it a little (I'm a moron) and a lot of screws are missing and part of it is stretched out.  Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Guy1524 said:

Is there anyway I can diagnose what is wrong with my Asus ROG laptop from september 2015.  The power indicator immediately turns off after attempting to turn it on.  The screen doesn't light up at all.  The charging indicator is on when plugged in however.  I have no electrical knowledge.  The laptop broke a few months ago when through the day it become more and more unstable freezing and turning off a lot.  By the end of the day the machine because useless.  Luckily it had nothing to do w/ my SSD and I took it out and am using it now in my new desktop but I would like to see if there are any solutions before trying to get a refund or a repair because I had tinkered w/ it a little (I'm a moron) and a lot of screws are missing and part of it is stretched out.  Thanks!

Take the battery out and see. Usually there is a reset button located on either the under panel or under the battery. Take a paper clip and press that for 10 seconds with the computer off and battery removed and check. 


PSU Tier List Thread

 

"White Ice"

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | EVGA RTX 2080ti Black | Flare X 16-16-16-32 3600mhz 16gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

Samsung 850 evo 250gb | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 2x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

 

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 1800x | Asrock B450M Pro 4 | 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3200mhz | EVGA B3 450w | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Elgato HD60 Pro | Elgato 4k60 Pro mk.2

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Take the battery out and see. Usually there is a reset button located on either the under panel or under the battery. Take a paper clip and press that for 10 seconds with the computer off and battery removed and check. 

Actually, on the side I see a hole with an icon that is a lock with the letter K inside.  Is this the correct thing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Guy1524 said:

Actually, on the side I see a hole with an icon that is a lock with the letter K inside.  Is this the correct thing?

no, that is for a kensington lock


PSU Tier List Thread

 

"White Ice"

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | EVGA RTX 2080ti Black | Flare X 16-16-16-32 3600mhz 16gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

Samsung 850 evo 250gb | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 2x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

 

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 1800x | Asrock B450M Pro 4 | 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3200mhz | EVGA B3 450w | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Elgato HD60 Pro | Elgato 4k60 Pro mk.2

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you retried resetting your motherboard's BIOS to the first version it came?

 

BTW: If I were you, I wouldn't update the BIOS unless it contains something you need

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know whether would it work but you can give it a shot. Take out the battery, hold down the power button for like half a minute or something. Plug in charger or put the battery back and see whether does it turn on. You may also want to remove and then reinsert the CMOS battery while at it.


Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
28 minutes ago, exercutor5 said:

I don't know whether would it work but you can give it a shot. Take out the battery, hold down the power button for like half a minute or something. Plug in charger or put the battery back and see whether does it turn on. You may also want to remove and then reinsert the CMOS battery while at it.

How would I find the CMOS battery?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Guy1524 said:

How would I find the CMOS battery?

If you were to open up your laptop, you should be looking for a button cell battery. That will be your CMOS battery.


Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, exercutor5 said:

If you were to open up your laptop, you should be looking for a button cell battery. That will be your CMOS battery.

well the only part of the laptop I have opened so far is the part where you switch ram and a storage component so I don't know how to find that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried with a different charger ? or without the battery ? 

Your screen doesnt even flicker or show a sign of response when trying to turn it on?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
25 minutes ago, Woltox said:

Have you tried with a different charger ? or without the battery ? 

Your screen doesnt even flicker or show a sign of response when trying to turn it on?

Unfortunately I only have one charger, I have tried w/o the battery.  The screen does not flicker and no components are responsive except for the power led turning on then immediately turning off and the charging led when the battery is in the laptop and the laptop is plugged in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

So somehow I got it working, but now the sata port isn't working.  The HDD turns on, but the BIOS doesn't recognize it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Great, I just broke my laptop permanently, now the power LED wont even show up and it looks totally bricked.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×