High End Video Editing/ Gaming Build - $8000-$10000 AUD

ryo3000
4 minutes ago, ryo3000 said:

I feel like that's going to become too expensive, I can just have the system drive run on a single SSD instead of on two in RAID 0, that'll solve that problem.

The OS, programs and games dont benefit from raid 0. In fact, they have a problem maxing the speed of a normal SSD. Not to mention the risk of a crash meaning your system drive is useless.

So use just 1 and since you are going to be gaming, having around 512GB is recommended.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

3 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

The OS, programs and games dont benefit from raid 0. In fact, they have a problem maxing the speed of a normal SSD. Not to mention the risk of a crash meaning your system drive is useless.

So use just 1 and since you are going to be gaming, having around 512GB is recommended.

True, so about 500gb for the boot drive, then will 480gb be enough for the video work ones do you think?

1 minute ago, ryo3000 said:

True, so about 500gb for the boot drive, then will 480gb be enough for the video work ones do you think?

Sounds about right.

2 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

Sounds about right.

Cool, in sticking with the red and black kind of colour scheme, I'm wondering whether it would be worth it to spend more on the msi godlike board. I'll see if there are any other motherboards that fit that description in the workstation type range first though elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, ryo3000 said:

Cool, in sticking with the red and black kind of colour scheme, I'm wondering whether it would be worth it to spend more on the msi godlike board. I'll see if there are any other motherboards that fit that description in the workstation type range first though elsewhere.

It dont have to be a workstation board, it just need to be rated for the workload. Gamers dont push there components in the same way, so they dont need as solid components. But generally so would any of the high end board, like GODLIKE, be solid enough to work.

2 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

It dont have to be a workstation board, it just need to be rated for the workload. Gamers dont push there components in the same way, so they dont need as solid components. But generally so would any of the high end board, like GODLIKE, be solid enough to work.

Okay, well the only thing I might change is the kingston SSD's to fit a bit more with the colour scheme, but other than that, all seems to work. And only works out about $80 more expensive than before I changed the motherboard and added more SSD's. Of course there were other sacrifices though.

19 minutes ago, ryo3000 said:

Okay, well the only thing I might change is the kingston SSD's to fit a bit more with the colour scheme, but other than that, all seems to work. And only works out about $80 more expensive than before I changed the motherboard and added more SSD's. Of course there were other sacrifices though.

As I said, storage is easy to upgrade if needed.

1 minute ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

As I said, storage is easy to upgrade if needed.

Indeed it is, well I think that just about covers everything, I'll just show you the final cart:

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/7BBTBP

Thank you so much for all your help, I probably would've wasted a whole lot of money without it.

4 hours ago, ryo3000 said:

I am looking to build a PC in the very near future for mainly video editing purposes, but also with gaming as an important factor. I'm 17 and live in Australia, so my budget will be in AUD. My maximum budget for this build is $10000, though I would prefer if it were closer to the $8000 mark. These are the components that I am currently looking to place in my build:

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/f9qbXH

There are a few things that I'd like to explain about the components that I have chosen, mainly the large amount of storage and the use of a 980ti. The reason I have opted for a 980ti over a single, or multiple 1080's is that I am holding off for the upcoming Titan card, or the 1080ti. When those products come out, I intend to fully water cool the system. But in the mean time, I still need this build to be assembled and running in the next four weeks, due to an editing project at school that begins at that time. Along with this build, I am planning to upgrade my current Canon EOS 600d to a Panasonic GH4, with the intent of working with 4k footage; hence the high end nature of the build. As far as the HDD's and SSD's go, I wanted 6tb of storage for video files and other general media such as games, but wanted there to be a level of safety involved. So I decided to opt for RAID 10, as I feel that RAID 1 is too much of a waste, especially when I was going to use four drives anyway. Then with my boot drive, I am more concerned with performance than absolute safety, so am using two 500gb SSD's in RAID 0. But redundancy isn't the same as a backup, so that's what the 8tb and 2tb WD external HDD's are for, used for the HDD's and SSD's respectively. This build will be a massive upgrade to my current PC, which is a prebuilt made by HP from 2009 I believe; running and Intel i7 870 and an ATI Radeon HD 5570. For the purposes of editing 1080p 30fps, or 720p 60fps, or even extremely light gaming, my current PC is painfully slow. As I want to work in 4k, a drastic upgrade is needed. I know that for a first build, this is very expensive; but I know that if I make a lower end build, I will want the higher end performance anyway, and will feel that that current build would have been a waste of money. Any suggestions as far as alterations to the build would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Here's my recommended computer build.

Faster and a more powerful processor coupled with a dual graphics card setup.

Total cost of this computer build is far less than yours is.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V3 2.3GHz 10-Core Processor  ($1788.00 @ IJK) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($195.00 @ CPL Online) 
Motherboard: MSI X99A GAMING 7 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($399.00 @ CPL Online) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($95.00 @ Centre Com) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($95.00 @ Centre Com) 
Storage: Transcend SSD370 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($255.00 @ Umart) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($129.00 @ CPL Online) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($129.00 @ CPL Online) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($419.00 @ Scorptec) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($419.00 @ Scorptec) 
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Gun Metal) ATX Full Tower Case  ($219.00 @ Scorptec) 
Power Supply: XFX PRO Black Edition 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($179.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit  ($245.00 @ CPL Online) 
Wireless Network Adapter: D-Link DWA-582 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($79.00 @ CPL Online) 
Monitor: BenQ XR3501 35.0" 144Hz Monitor  ($1299.00 @ CPL Online) 
Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($145.00 @ CPL Online) 
Mouse: Logitech MX Master Bluetooth Wireless Laser Mouse  ($93.00 @ IJK) 
External Storage: LaCie Porsche Design 8TB External Hard Drive  ($409.00 @ CPL Online) 
Other: CableMod ModMesh E-Series G2 & P2 Cable Kit Black/Blood Red ($129.00)
Total: $7233.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-12 04:33 AEST+1000

Buzzsaw - I'm Buzzsaw and you're not.

CPU -- Intel Core i7 7740X @ 4.30GHz Kaby Lake 14nm Technology * RAM -- 16.0 GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1466MHz (15-16-16-35)
Motherboard -- ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF X299 MARK 2 (LGA 2066 R4) * 
Graphics -- SAMSUNG (1920x1080@59Hz) -- 4096 MB ATI Radeon RX 560 Series 
Storage -- 223 GB SanDisk Ultra II 240GB (SSD) -- 256 GB Crucial_CT275MX300SSD1 (SSD) -- 931 GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA) -- 2794 GB BUFFALO External HDD USB Device
Optical Drives -- ASUS DRW-24B1ST * Audio -- Realtek High Definition Audio

4 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

Here's my recommended computer build.

Faster and a more powerful processor coupled with a dual graphics card setup.

Total cost of this computer build is far less than yours is.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V3 2.3GHz 10-Core Processor  ($1788.00 @ IJK) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($195.00 @ CPL Online) 
Motherboard: MSI X99A GAMING 7 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($399.00 @ CPL Online) 
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Gun Metal) ATX Full Tower Case  ($219.00 @ Scorptec) 
Power Supply: XFX PRO Black Edition 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($179.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit  ($245.00 @ CPL Online) 
Wireless Network Adapter: D-Link DWA-582 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($79.00 @ CPL Online) 
Monitor: BenQ XR3501 35.0" 144Hz Monitor  ($1299.00 @ CPL Online) 
Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($145.00 @ CPL Online) 
Mouse: Logitech MX Master Bluetooth Wireless Laser Mouse  ($93.00 @ IJK) 
External Storage: LaCie Porsche Design 8TB External Hard Drive  ($409.00 @ CPL Online) 
Other: CableMod ModMesh E-Series G2 & P2 Cable Kit Black/Blood Red ($129.00)
Total: $7233.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-12 04:33 AEST+1000

I have considered using a xeon for this build, but have been concerned with the low core clocks and lack of overclocking that would come with it. As I've said, I'm upgrading the graphics cards again fairly soon, so going crossfire 480's wouldn't really make much sense for me at this point in time. I do still want to do gaming with this as well, so having a xeon would be objectively worse for that purpose than an i7, though that wouldn't be the main purpose I know. The 6900k seems like a good middle ground, with being very good for video work, along with being overclockable and still being pretty good for gaming and single threaded performance as well.

3 hours ago, ryo3000 said:

I have considered using a xeon for this build, but have been concerned with the low core clocks and lack of overclocking that would come with it. As I've said, I'm upgrading the graphics cards again fairly soon, so going crossfire 480's wouldn't really make much sense for me at this point in time. I do still want to do gaming with this as well, so having a xeon would be objectively worse for that purpose than an i7, though that wouldn't be the main purpose I know. The 6900k seems like a good middle ground, with being very good for video work, along with being overclockable and still being pretty good for gaming and single threaded performance as well.

This is where many people fail to realize that many gaming machines are built with Xeons. Why? Low wattage which translates to lower friction which leads to longer and more reliable processor. With a 10 core processor, why would there be a huge need to overclock when the Xeon is already cranking out so much power? 

Your immediate dismissal of the Radeon RX 480s is not surprising since people assume incorrectly that AMD graphics cards are not up to par with the respective GTX counterparts. This is so far from the truth and reality. Independent benchmarks (not the propaganda that is being spewed by NVidia) has shown so far that a dual setup of 8 GB Radeon RX480 graphics card do indeed beat out the GTX 1080 and does it at a lower cost. Anything else doesn't make sense, especially if one is going to be doing extensive gaming and/or video work. You do know that you can overclock the Radeon RX 480s if you need to do so. 

In the end, it's your money and you can do whatever you want, just make sure that you don't fall for the propaganda and look at things objectively. 

Buzzsaw - I'm Buzzsaw and you're not.

CPU -- Intel Core i7 7740X @ 4.30GHz Kaby Lake 14nm Technology * RAM -- 16.0 GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1466MHz (15-16-16-35)
Motherboard -- ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF X299 MARK 2 (LGA 2066 R4) * 
Graphics -- SAMSUNG (1920x1080@59Hz) -- 4096 MB ATI Radeon RX 560 Series 
Storage -- 223 GB SanDisk Ultra II 240GB (SSD) -- 256 GB Crucial_CT275MX300SSD1 (SSD) -- 931 GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA) -- 2794 GB BUFFALO External HDD USB Device
Optical Drives -- ASUS DRW-24B1ST * Audio -- Realtek High Definition Audio

2 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

This is where many people fail to realize that many gaming machines are built with Xeons. Why? Low wattage which translates to lower friction which leads to longer and more reliable processor. With a 10 core processor, why would there be a huge need to overclock when the Xeon is already cranking out so much power?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8584/intel-xeon-e5-2687w-v3-and-e5-2650-v3-review-haswell-ep-with-10-cores

If we were to compare the i7 6900K to the Xeon E5 2650 v3, the enthusiast i7 definitely has better single core performance, making a much better choice for gaming. In terms of multithreaded applications, the difference is marginal at best, as evidently shown by these benchmarks. We haven't also considered the improvements of Broadwell-E over its Haswell-E predecessor. The difference in lifetimes will not be noticeable, and from what I've seen, the i7 6900K is actually a good bit cheaper than the Xeon E5 2650!

Your immediate dismissal of the Radeon RX 480s is not surprising since people assume incorrectly that AMD graphics cards are not up to par with the respective GTX counterparts. This is so far from the truth and reality. Independent benchmarks (not the propaganda that is being spewed by NVidia) has shown so far that a dual setup of 8 GB Radeon RX480 graphics card do indeed beat out the GTX 1080 and does it at a lower cost. Anything else doesn't make sense, especially if one is going to be doing extensive gaming and/or video work. You do know that you can overclock the Radeon RX 480s if you need to do so. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480_CrossFire/1.html

I implore you to take another look at RX 480 Crossfire benchmarks. The cons outweigh the pros:

Instead of buying two cards upfront, you're much better off putting your monies into a single GTX 1070, not just for better performance but to dodge the spectre of application multi-GPU support, which continues to haunt both SLI and CrossFire. 

For two RX 480s, you're looking at:

-Microstutttering

-More heat

-More power consumed

-The power of only one RX 480 if a game doesn't even use Crossfire (that's quite often).

There's no propaganda involved. In fact, I haven't seen any benchmarks provided by NVIDIA showing two RX 480s failing to a GTX 1080. This whole debacle of 'two RX 480s beating a GTX 1080' was started by AMD themselves when they showed it in a DX12 game that they had a clear advantage in, yet never claimed in other games that the same situation will be reflected in those as well - most third-party benchmarks conclude that two RX 480s in Crossfire is impractical, especially when you could get a GTX 1070 instead for that price that will avoid all the problems presented by Crossfire.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

3 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

There are two reasons that I'm not looking at the RX 480. One is that I'm planning to upgrade to the new titan card, or a SLI 1080ti's when it launches. The other is that I'm buying a GSync monitor, which would make it make absolutely no sense to not have an Nvidia card.