Task Manager incorrectly displays 100% CPU usage

Go to solution Solved by COASTER19,

Well after lots of messing around and uninstalling various drivers, I ended up just reinstalling Windows 8.1.  Still not sure why it didn't work in Windows 10.

Hi all!

I recently upgraded to a clean install of Windows 10 on a PowerSpec computer.  Since the install, Task Manager has only shown 100% CPU usage, Resource Monitor has always shown something different, and Process Explore has shown what I believe to be correct, yet is still different than the other two (see screenshot attached).  The computer runs very smoothly, and I do not believe that the CPU usage is really at 100%.  Additionally, the Task Manager and Resource Monitor graphs for CPU usage do not scroll, sometimes even becoming transparent.  (the update speed of Task Manager is set to normal, not paused)

The computer's specs:

• Windows 10 x64 (just installed and fully updated) (previously Windows 8.1 in which Task Manager was correct)
  • Intel Core i5 2310
  • Unknown OEM motherboard (shows as ECS H67H2-CM in Speccy...)
  • 4.0GB DDR3
  • Antec Truepower Trio 550 Watt PSU
  • Radeon HD 4670
  • 80GB Hitachi HDD

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

tl;dr - Can anyone please explain this screenshot to me?

CPU_confusion.PNG

That is very strange... definitely not something I've seen before.  I suspect resource monitor and task manager are reading the same data though, but task manager is "rounding" it down to 100%, since it by definition it can't be higher.

Was the Windows 10 and "upgrade" or a clean install?  I doubt it's related, but upgraded installs do tend to have strange issues from time to time.

I find it interesting that "processes" is reading some insane percentage but "services" is not.  That suggests that whatever is confusing it is an installed program, which narrows it down a little bit... do you have any weird software installed?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

This is a brand new, clean install (not upgrade), of windows 10.  The only installed programs are Speccy, Steam, AMD Catalyst Control Center, and Process Explore (portable, not exactly installed I guess).

Well after lots of messing around and uninstalling various drivers, I ended up just reinstalling Windows 8.1.  Still not sure why it didn't work in Windows 10.