First ever use of killer robots during Dallas Tragedy

Ben Marin

After an hours-long standoff that included exchanges of gunfire, they used a robot to deliver an explosive that killed the gunman.

To end the hours long stand off with the Dallas shooter, swat teams strapped a bomb to a robot and sent the robot in to detonate and kill the shooter. This was the first time ever this had happened. The future of killer robots is here it looks like.    CNN article below: 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/09/opinions/dallas-robot-questions-singer/index.html

God, what's taking so long to give them AI. Would make the process so much easier to kill everyone. :P

Very interesting.... For better or worse, I'm sure we will continue to see more military tech trickle down into ordinary police forces as it is deemed necessary.  At least, in countries where the population is heavily armed.  How long until it's not police sending the robot, but the robocop decides "it's time" all on its own?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

-update-

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

1st ever?!

what about Predator

uavcopy-550x225.jpg

I think that's military stuff. Has that ever been used on a citizen in the country before?  I don't think so, but I could be wrong...

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Very interesting.... For better or worse, I'm sure we will continue to see more military tech trickle down into ordinary police forces as it is deemed necessary.  At least, in countries where the population is heavily armed.  How long until it's not police sending the robot, but the robocop decides "it's time" all on its own?

We have police forces here buying armored vehicles and other high powered military tech left and right thanks to grants given to them for the "war on drugs" by the Dept of Justice. There have been stories of small towns with just a couple thousand people buying armored bearcats and whatnot for police forces.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I can already see terrorists using these same methods pretty soon so it's a bad move imo.

Imagine them sending a drone with c4 in to an urban area where there are a lot of people and detonating it.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

1st ever?!

what about Predator

uavcopy-550x225.jpg

First ever for police. Military have used drones for a long time. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think that's military stuff. Has that ever been used on a citizen in the country before?  I don't think so, but I could be wrong...

I don't think so but it still qualifies as a "killer robot", does it not? In fact it's probably a lot more specialized than what is essentially an rc car with a bomb strapped to it.

5 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

f932c88d-41d6-4659-b5ad-9abe24b5a46f-206

We all know where this is going, that box will eventually be C4

C4 is pretty heavy, a drone like that couldn't carry a very large amount of it. Still dangerous but a terrorist generally wants to do more damage than that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

I don't think so but it still qualifies as a "killer robot", does it not? In fact it's probably a lot more specialized than what is essentially an rc car with a bomb strapped to it.

Yes, but (whether it's clear from the title or not) the point of this article is that it's first ever use of deadly robots by police.

It's not often that law enforcement use bombs to take out a bad guys, but delivering it with a robot designed to aid in the disarming of explosives.  Nice touch!

Holy shit. 

One guy managed to give law enforcement so hard of a time they had to resort to an untested and improvised solution?

I don't know what to think about that.

As per the whole subject of, "Killer robots" (Seriously? We're using click-bait titles in our news now?) I think the notion is idiotic. There are far more advanced killing robots out there than some police force strapping a breaching charge to a remote operated robot.

15 minutes ago, Lurick said:

We have police forces here buying armored vehicles and other high powered military tech left and right thanks to grants given to them for the "war on drugs" by the Dept of Justice. There have been stories of small towns with just a couple thousand people buying armored bearcats and whatnot for police forces.

Well what's wrong? Don't do dumb shit you won't get killed by them. It's just better for y.

14 minutes ago, lightningterror said:

I can already see terrorists using these same methods pretty soon so it's a bad move imo.

Imagine them sending a drone with c4 in to an urban area where there are a lot of people and detonating it.

Yeah but that's not the police fault? Who did not think of strapping bombs to unmanned vehicles. Like, it's not what the police did that's going to trigger terrorist into doing it, they already knew that.

This story is interesting for a few reasons...

• If the cops decide to take someone out, does it matter if they shoot them or send in a bomb-bot?  Is there really a difference?
  • I think we will see an increased mechanization of the police force over the coming decades, just as we have seen in the military.  If control can be enforced without putting people (the people doing the enforcing) in harm's way, it's likely to look like an appealing option.
    • Is this a good thing?
      • What could go wrong with remote controlled bots instead of actual cops?  Getting taken down and dismantled by criminals?  Using excessive force by accident (more often)?  Inability to perform certain tasks as well?  Malfunctions leading to an inability to act, or accidental deaths?
    • What would be better?  No lives lost in shootouts?  Easy to have much larger police force?
    • What if/when they are no longer remote controlled but instead are run by AI?  That's a whole other can of worms...
  • This is the first time this has happened.  How will this be received by the public? Will the train keep on rollin', or will this suddenly make people stop and think about the system for one reason or another?

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This story is interesting for a few reasons...

• If the cops decide to take someone out, does it matter if they shoot them or send in a bomb-bot?  Is there really a difference?
  • I think we will see an increased mechanization of the police force over the coming decades, just as we have seen in the military.  If control can be enforced without putting people (the people doing the enforcing) in harm's way, it's likely to look like an appealing option.
    • Is this a good thing?
      • What could go wrong with remote controlled bots instead of actual cops?  Getting taken down and dismantled by criminals?  Using excessive force by accident (more often)?  Inability to perform certain tasks as well?  Malfunctions leading to an inability to act, or accidental deaths?
    • What would be better?  No lives lost in shootouts?  Easy to have much larger police force?
    • What if/when they are no longer remote controlled but instead are run by AI?  That's a whole other can of worms...
  • This is the first time this has happened.  How will this be received by the public? Will the train keep on rollin', or will this suddenly make people stop and think about the system for one reason or another?

That's typically how it happens in the US.  As technology advances in the military, parts of those advances makes its way to civilian law enforcement.  The majority of this is for the better, but sometimes it's debatable.

I personally don't think it matters what method is used as long as the end result is roughly the same.

1 minute ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

CNN, the WCCFTech of real world news.

Agreed.

Fuck******ng Terror !

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

1 hour ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

CNN, the WCCFTech of real world news.

Every TV news outlet is the WCCFTech of real world news

1 hour ago, SageOfSpice said:

Holy shit. 

One guy managed to give law enforcement so hard of a time they had to resort to an untested and improvised solution?

I don't know what to think about that.

As per the whole subject of, "Killer robots" (Seriously? We're using click-bait titles in our news now?) I think the notion is idiotic. There are far more advanced killing robots out there than some police force strapping a breaching charge to a remote operated robot.

Lol title isn't click-baity they're literally robots that kill

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I'm sure future warfare will just be killer robots with little people involved :o

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I really don't like the way this is headed.  This will only be used more.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers