Dell releases perfect monitor? (New 30" Ultrasharp)

vanished

There are a lot of misconceptions on the Internet about HDR displays. A lot of people get confused because of the same term used in other areas such as photography. Also there are a lot of stupid comparison images on the net which proclaim to show non-HDR vs HDR by using fake artificially enhanced contrast etc. Those are obviously not accurate because you cannot view HDR content on a non-HDR display and there is no point in artificially enhancing colors or contrast. If we want to reproduce HDR content that has a wider range of colour and brightness it has to be done right from the mastering process (in the case of a movie) or from the game engine level (in the case of a game).

HDR aims to produce an image with a wider range of light including brighter colors where necessary. Obviously this also necessitates greater than 8-bit displays, because plain old 8 bit when stretched across the extended range is not enough to reproduce all the possible shades/brightness without banding.

Recommended viewing

https://youtu.be/nZWWbx6vGk8?t=2m55s

19 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

It's only DP 1.2. That's not possible. Where does it say DP 1.3 or something like that?

You got me wrong, I never meant it from the technical perspective as in connectors, but from "possible" one. As in current hardware and the mentioned monitor specs. And I really don't feel like arguing over that. -_- 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

Did you not read the OP that has sources from 6 months ago with correcting notes?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

Did you not read the OP that has sources from 6 months ago with correcting notes?

This is the internet, why would i read anything?

1 minute ago, potoooooooo said:

This is the internet, why would i read anything?

Because you have to read something before you can reasonably reply to it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Oh wow, finally it started to emerge, monitor I was curious to see when it will show! 4K 120Hz OLED

Of course it will have "early adopter tax" but later on monitors with such spec will come much lower in price. Expected. Also I'm sure manufacturers won't use uncommon display connection like 'DisplayPort over USB Type-C' in future monitors. Also adding adaptive sync to such monitor and you have an epic display!

Another thing, would be great with future monitors as such having DP 1.3 so it could run in 1080p@240Hz too. That would be amazing for FPS competitively. :o

Also that quote "this display may be faster than TN" - Shouldn't it be significantly cause how OLED works? Like ghosting? And I guess OLED burn-in issues got solved? Yey.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

55 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Because you have to read something before you can reasonably reply to it.

Woosh

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

To be fair they look much better. I've no issue with small bezels, but no bezels looks so goddamn good. On a monitor, it's only for aesthetics, and those few mm of saved space if your OCD is that strong. 

that's what i was talking about this Dell's Ultrasharp UP3017Q 30 inch monitor has the same bezel as dell2240l or any of its counterparts. so why the bezel war now? they started it way long ago 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

On July 9, 2016 at 1:21 PM, potoooooooo said:

Woosh

"whoa"

7 hours ago, samcool55 said:

I'm completely lost.

So a 10-bit panel = HDR support?

Is it even possible to push 4k 120hz with HDR? I know DP1.3 can only go up to 60Hz with HDR and 120Hz at SDR.

Don't know if DP1.4 fixes stuff...

Also how is the software for that? Can you just switch from SDR and high refresh rate to HDR and lower refresh rate?

The HDR FAP video didn't make it clear to me btw... It's very confusing to me.

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

@Glenwing I think we need expert clarification on the whole 10-bit/HDR thing and how it pertains to this monitor :) 

HDR isn't a "new" feature itself, but it's not a synonym for an existing one (like 10-bit color depth) either. It's basically a collection of features that already exist, and a certification that you can get for implementing all those features together, and of course there's a bit of software for the final touch so that source machines are aware of the HDR support and can react appropriately. To be considered an "HDR" display, you need:

• 10-bit color depth (standard is 8-bit)
  • Support for the DCI-P3 color space (standard is sRGB / Rec. 709)
  • A minimum-maximum brightness of 0.0005–540 cd/m² (1,080,000:1 contrast ratio) OR 0.05–1100 (22,000:1) if you're an LCD, because otherwise no LCD could ever meet the HDR requirements, and we just can't have that can we... -_-

And as I said, there also needs to be some software recognition for things to be displayed properly. It's a bit like getting a wide-gamut display, like a professional monitor or an OLED phone. Things don't just look better on their own, because most images are designed to be displayed on an sRGB monitor, and without proper handling of this, images will look oversaturated. By the way, this is where OLED gets its "oversaturation" complaints from. The problem actually has nothing to do with OLEDs themselves, the same issue will appear on any wide-gamut display, OLED, LCD, or otherwise, and it can be corrected with proper software support and color management, but Samsung has consistently failed to implement this. Meanwhile, some desktop applications like Photoshop have color management capabilities, and look just fine on a wide-gamut display once the applications settings have been set up.

So, just meeting the raw specifications of the HDR spec listed above is not enough to make you an "HDR" display. The display needs to be programmed to identify itself as an HDR display otherwise the same oversaturation problem will occur here since the color gamut requirement, DCI-P3, is wider than the one required by the HDTV standard (Rec. 709), and the higher contrast ratio will make something similar occur with brightness levels and contrast (black crush).

And also, as I hinted at above, there is no such thing as a "true" HDR LCD. Yes, you may see LCDs advertised as HDR, and they may officially meet the HDR specification, but only because the specification has an exception added which allows LCDs to completely avoid the contrast ratio requirements, which is sort of the entire point of HDR in the first place. I'd facepalm, but you know... I sort of expect these things from the display industry at this point.

EDIT: and to answer the last question, DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 both max at 3840×2160 at 120 Hz with 8-bit color depth. Since HDR requires 10-bit color, it cannot be done normally. However, DP 1.4 introduces a form of compression called DSC, so maybe that can be used to support 4K 120 Hz HDR. I don't know.

borderless, BS i can see the border quite well and .5 inch thick on the edge? ... im taking a look at my rog swift pg279 and the border looks the same(about half inch) and its right about .5 inches thick at the edge, of curse its only 1440p @ 165hz but for only 750$.  Hmm.

edit:  busted out the tape measure, the bezel on the pg279 is 3/8 inch thick and the thickness of the panel at the edge is a tiny bit less than half an inch thick.  of course it is only 27" ips panel at 1440, but 5k$, wow.

No HDR? Not perfect

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

23 minutes ago, aerandir92 said:

No HDR? Not perfect

I guess you didn't read anything. Huh this is the Internet never mind. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

6 minutes ago, alexyy said:

I guess you didn't read anything. Huh this is the Internet never mind. 

I looked at the articles in the OP and didn't find any mention of HDR. I did see that it had 10 bit support, and good DCI-P3 coverage, but nothing about it supporting HDR metadata. 

Edit: And to add to that, if it was a HDR display, it would've surely be part of the marketing for it as HDR is new and fancy thing to use for selling TVs/monitors now. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

12 hours ago, Camisto said:

borderless, BS i can see the border quite well and .5 inch thick on the edge? ... im taking a look at my rog swift pg279 and the border looks the same(about half inch) and its right about .5 inches thick at the edge, of curse its only 1440p @ 165hz but for only 750$.  Hmm.

edit:  busted out the tape measure, the bezel on the pg279 is 3/8 inch thick and the thickness of the panel at the edge is a tiny bit less than half an inch thick.  of course it is only 27" ips panel at 1440, but 5k$, wow.

Uh, look again. The bezel is 1/4 inch wide.

Mmmm, dat bezel doh

Or lack thereof

They need more monitors with little to no bezel. It's kind of ridiculous that monitors still have them in a majority. Monitors look so sexy without a bezel

Does anybody know if there any 4k ultra wide monitor coming soon? 

1 hour ago, AliexFolgueira said:

Does anybody know if there any 4k ultra wide monitor coming soon? 

You can't have 4k ultra wide, you need more pixels on the width sides

So I guess, 5120×2160 resolution to be 21:9 ?!

Current DisplayPort standard on the market is 1.2, which can get you 4K (3840×2160 at 60Hz at 24-bit colors)

So you need to make sure you have a graphics card with DisplayPort 1.3, which isn't many, so monitor manufacture doesn't want to limit its market, and have to deal with the mess of people complaining that they can't get it to work properly.

ill wait until i go dumpster diving in 2048 and find this monitor somewhere

:) 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 7/9/2016 at 7:50 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

IT's a bit of a nitpicky thing, but with a 120 hz panel, you can watch content at 60 fps, or 24 fps all perfectly.  With a 60 hz panel, 24 fps doesn't divide so well ;)

Makes no fuckin difference for watching shows or movies on an odd hz on a minitor. I have a 105hz Overclocked monitor and i play all videos perfectly fine. All netflix all movies everything.