Dell releases perfect monitor? (New 30" Ultrasharp)

vanished
3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I'm completely lost.

So a 10-bit panel = HDR support?

Is it even possible to push 4k 120hz with HDR? I know DP1.3 can only go up to 60Hz with HDR and 120Hz at SDR.

Don't know if DP1.4 fixes stuff...

Also how is the software for that? Can you just switch from SDR and high refresh rate to HDR and lower refresh rate?

The HDR FAP video didn't make it clear to me btw... It's very confusing to me.

This might be useful

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

30",4K,120Hz,0.1ms a FPS Gamers dream....thats why the monitor costs three of twice the price of a PC to xD 

i best if i could make a monitor for $1m it could be 45",12K,600Hz,0.001ms just because why the fuck not ???

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

41 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

But you can actually go to a race tracks or find special roads where you can actually drive it at 400km/h and genuinely enjoy the experience. There is nothing outside of bechmarks that actually make use of 4k 120hz.

1080 sli could, but it would have to be a balance of ultra/high settings and not full ultra.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

4 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

You can leave it to dell to make a perfect monitor. This checks pretty much every box of a perfect monitor. 

But, no 120Hz+ refresh rates ;(

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I'm completely lost.

Is it even possible to push 4k 120hz with HDR? I know DP1.3 can only go up to 60Hz with HDR and 120Hz at SDR.

Also how is the software for that? Can you just switch from SDR and high refresh rate to HDR and lower refresh rate?

DP 1.4 supports 10-bit + HDR (8-bit + HDR is basically a modified 10-bit stream with extra bits for brighter whites) at 120 Hz. 1.3 supports 10-bit normal at 120Hz.

For everyone but the highest end professional content creators, any 10-bit panel can support HDR for 8-bit data streams. It's just a matter of firmware tweaks. DP comes with extra pins to carry extra data across than a standard stream. You just have to expose that to a graphics card.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

6 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I'm completely lost.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This might be useful

Thanks, and also to @LAwLz, you just saved me a ton of time trying to explain it.

Really? Not height adjustable? Lame. I'll wait for the model with a better stand.

[update] Yes it will have a height adjustable stand.

4 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

DP 1.4 supports 10-bit + HDR (8-bit + HDR is basically a modified 10-bit stream with extra bits for brighter whites) at 120 Hz. 1.3 supports 10-bit normal at 120Hz.

For everyone but the highest end professional content creators, any 10-bit panel can support HDR for 8-bit data streams. It's just a matter of firmware tweaks. DP comes with extra pins to carry extra data across than a standard stream. You just have to expose that to a graphics card.

Also on this Dell monitor the 120Hz is only supported on DisplayPort over USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C. The HDMI 2.0 and mDP 1.2 doesn't support it.

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This might be useful

HDR on a monitor isn't the same as HDR in the photography world, explains a lot!

Thanks, it's somewhat clear to me now, sadly the software side seems to be behind quite a lot sooo yea...

Let's see how it goes! Hopefully good.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, AresKrieger said:

That is the one thing Dell hasn't screwed up yet, they still make beautiful monitors

WHAT!!!!!!! 4K for $4999!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I stopped caring. This isn't the perfect monitor,it's not even a monitor i'd recommend. 

This is a stupid monitor that nobody should buy.

IMHO

The perfect monitor would be between 27-32 inches.

It would have a super high pixel density of 267 Pixels per inch.

It would have either an 8K display or whatever is able to provide the pixel density

It would Gorilla Glass 4 and allow me to touch it.

It would also contain a low end core i5 mobile and Nvidia or AMD mobile GPU which supports 8K. AND would contain a small SSD. So bascially I asked for the ultimate All in One with the ultimate display.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I stopped caring. This isn't the perfect monitor,it's not even a monitor i'd recommend. 

IMHO

It would have either an 8K display or whatever is able to provide the pixel density

It would also contain a low end core i5 mobile and Nvidia or AMD mobile GPU which supports 8K. AND would contain a small SSD. So bascially I asked for the ultimate All in One with the ultimate display.

I said beautiful not cheap, or affordable

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

IMHO

Perfect monitor... no I agree.

But remember, it is an OLED panel, and it goes at 120Hz.

Gorilla Glass is not the way to go.

First of all, it would make the screen glossy, which is already a mirror at 24inch sizes... so imagine 30inch.

Second, Gorilla Glass is is deep scratch resistant, and can survive hits done in front of it. Useless on a monitor. Dell uses 3H from 3M coating on many of its non-glossy monitors. This coating protects against minor scratches, which is what you want. If you wipe your screen and it happens there is something stuck in the cloth, or some idiot with a metal ball point pen tap the screen, or you move and hit a notebook with a those metal loops that binds it all together... all stuff that happens in an office environment, your monitor will not show any scratches, which they may with Gorilla Glass (not deep, but what I call micro scratches, but still ruins the screen)

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

I said beautiful not cheap, or affordable

No but this is highway robbery! a 4K monitor for anything over $2000 better be best in class otherwise, hot damn it will fail and be crushed to the ground.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Perfect monitor... no I agree.

But remember, it is an OLED panel, and it goes at 120Hz.

Being a 120Hz panel is no excuse and neither is it being OLED. Microsoft puts OLED displays in $250 phones

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

No but this is highway robbery! a 4K monitor for anything over $2000 better be best in class otherwise, hot damn it will fail and be crushed to the ground.

I haven't seen any company beat dell in picture quality, also does anyone else have a 120Hz 4k display, no, that is what they stride for, now is this monitor reasonably priced hell no, but until someone release something on par with it they will charge some crazy price if they so choose, none of us on this site are likely the target consumer for this product anyway (well except for maybe linus because he is a baller)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

21 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This might be useful

Exactly. HDR is essentially contrast + colout bit depth + wider colour gamut.

AMD are very focused on HDR and these 2 slides also shows it quite well:

RTG_Page_111.jpg

And here the colour gamut showing colours not possible on non HDR monitors, in the Rec.2020 spec.

DMColorRec2020_s.jpg

The colour gamut shows all colours visible to the human eye. So you have neon and laser green, as well as ultra violet, etc. in this image. But since your monitor cannot show those colours, they just seem like the same green throughout for instance. The colours within the black triangle are the Rec.2020 HDR spec.

Adobe RGB is closer to the DCI (red triangle), so Rec.2020 is much better than Adobe RGB standard.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

That's not perfect. 32" 1440p is. I am only saying this because I tried 4k and 1440p on under 40" and 4k is not comfortable to use. At least on Windows 10. No scaling work can fix this, we are just not there yet.

I am personally getting 32" 1440p Samsung because it is scary price/size/resolution mix for only €450.

40 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Being a 120Hz panel is no excuse and neither is it being OLED. Microsoft puts OLED displays in $250 phones

Dell monitors has many times pushed the industry forward. Who do you think you'll need to thank for desktop IPS monitors at the consumer level?
(And they started at 700$ for 24inch (1920x1200) and 1000$ for 27inch (2560x1440)). In fact that is what I have on my desk.

The first consumer grade IPS monitor that you game on, and watch fast action movies with super shaky cam just fine, and not see a blurry mess. And while input lag is pretty bad today (fine, back then), its response time is still competitive today, and also is a true 8-bit panel. So, no cheating by cutting corners. Everyone was using TN panels back then, and no one knew what IPS technology was. There was no online resources. I had to go through university library on specialized research papers and LCD technology books to know anything about it at a detail level compared to "better color reproduction but very very slow", which is what most people knew about them, and was only sold by select brands for the professional market, with NEC and EIZO being the few big ones.

Despite its high price, and reduced later on with newer models, and cheaper IPS panel offering (6-bit panels), everyone was buying Dell monitors, which push other manufactures to make competing models.

I expect the next generation model to drop the price a bit (especially that the R&D cost will be reduced by the panel manufacture, and the process to make such a large panel can be shipped more safely, resulting in greater panels not damaged that the manufacture needs to cover from Dell, and to top things over have the manufacture produce these panel with greater success with improvements done on the machinery), and other competition may enter the market as well, which will drop the price further.

16 minutes ago, edsdrafts said:

That's not perfect. 32" 1440p is. I am only saying this because I tried 4k and 1440p on under 40" and 4k is not comfortable to use. At least on Windows 10. No scaling work can fix this, we are just not there yet.

I am personally getting 32" 1440p Samsung because it is scary price/size/resolution mix for only €450.

Nah, optimal 1440p monitor size is around 25-27". At 32 I start seeing pixels again.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

i like dell, love my 2240L, also it has the same bezels that's found on this ultrasharp 30'', but why is it being called war against bezels now ? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

The real ideal size is 27inch 4K.. or better yet 24inch 4K if you don't care about work area but instead want the best image quality, like your phone. (And if you want bigger, say 27/28/30inch, you would look at 5K monitors to have greater work area). Of course, ignore price here, as these things will come down over time to current prices for 1080p and 1440p respectively, more or less.

While today, they are more and more software that are high DPI aware then before, there is still more work to be done. But as more and more users switches to 4K monitors, or high resolution laptops, it will come.

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

120+ at 4K. I'm debating whether you are mocking me. :P

14 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

i like dell, love my 2240L, also it has the same bezels that's found on this ultrasharp 30'', but why is it being called war against bezels now ? 

To be fair they look much better. I've no issue with small bezels, but no bezels looks so goddamn good. On a monitor, it's only for aesthetics, and those few mm of saved space if your OCD is that strong. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

120+ at 4K. I'm debating whether you are mocking me. :P

To be fair they look much better. I've no issue with small bezels, but no bezels looks so goddamn good. On a monitor, it's only for aesthetics, and those few mm of saved space if your OCD is that strong. 

It's only DP 1.2. That's not possible. Where does it say DP 1.3 or something like that?