I may want to buy a camera

58 minutes ago, ALwin said:

This one might be good, it seems to have a heavy base.

and it does not need adapter because both have 3/8 thread? (I am not used to imperial thread system)

Would you take that one over the other ones if you where going to buy one? (for the price)

and I am guessing it does not matter that much if I use a mic not directly i front of me because that is how I have seen shotgun mics get used, they often are on one of the sides, over or under. as long as it is pointed at me ofc.

Going probably to be used when I use it at the computer and when I want to get the mic closer than the camera.

I am probably going to use it at my computer and when using camera to get it closer.

I am really sorry that you use time on a total noob like me.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Mihle Gaming said:

and it does not need adapter because both have 3/8 thread? (I am not used to imperial thread system)

Would you take that one over the other ones if you where going to buy one? (for the price)

and I am guessing it does not matter that much if I use a mic not directly i front of me because that is how I have seen shotgun mics get used, they often are on one of the sides, over or under. as long as it is pointed at me ofc.

Going probably to be used when I use it at the computer and when I want to get the mic closer than the camera.

I am probably going to use it at my computer and when using camera to get it closer.

I am really sorry that you use time on a total noob like me.

Well, don't worry about threads, you can always buy an adapter.  They are super cheap.

This one I probably would never buy.  Also, it doesn't look like the legs can be spread wider if the mic's center of gravity is not directly over the head of this mini tripod.

https://www.kjell.com/no/produkter/lyd-og-bilde/foto-og-video/stativ/hama-minitripodstativ-p57303

This one and the other flexible leg model, look to be similar to GorillaPod style flexible legs.  They are handy if you want to carry something that fits in your pocket and want to be able to mount your camera on almost anything that you can wrap those legs around.

https://www.kjell.com/no/produkter/lyd-og-bilde/foto-og-video/stativ/fleksibel-tripod-p57398

https://www.kjell.com/no/produkter/lyd-og-bilde/foto-og-video/stativ/fleksibelt-stativ-p57397

Like this for example:

gorilla_pod_slr1.jpg

But for solid table top mount, that more expensive one with the heavy base is more ideal.

Shotgun mics, with their usually tight polar patterns, as long as the source of the audio you want to record is within that coverage area it's fine.  The reason why people aim them from the front, the side, the top, etc. is to reduce any unwanted noise being captured by the mic.  So they aim the mic in a way that the unwanted sound sources are in the mic's blind area (which is usually to the side).

For example, you'll probably have seen in TV shows or movies where there is a guy holding a boom pole above his head with a shotgun mic aiming down from above the actor's head.  That's a typical shotgun milking technique.  But what if the actor was standing on something that was producing unwanted noise, in this case the unwanted noise would also be within the coverage direction of the shotgun. Hence the boom pole operator might have the mic aiming upwards towards the actor's mouth from below, typically below the waist.

You should look up how different polar patterns in a mic work.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I will look in to it.

But none of the tripods is made for more than 1kg, but that does not matter because are not going to use it with a camera.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

I did find out who made those bendable leg ones, they are both camlink,

that store I linked to does not say that.

the one that have the round base, I have no idea who made, does not come up at google image search.

doing it for little bit of fun

this is what I meant with the røde tripod if somone didnt know.

EDIT:

20 hours ago, ALwin said:

But for solid table top mount,

Sorry my English but when I did reed what you wrote more time, I realized that I am not totally sure what you meant by that.

-Stephen Hawking

EDIT: dubble post because of forum

-Stephen Hawking

58 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

I did find out who made those bendable leg ones, they are both camlink,

that store I linked to does not say that.

the one that have the round base, I have no idea who made, does not come up at google image search.

doing it for little bit of fun

this is what I meant with the røde tripod if somone didnt know.

EDIT:

Sorry my English but when I did reed what you wrote more time, I realized that I am not totally sure what you meant by that.

That Rode Tripod is just overpriced for something used on a table top.

What I mean by "solid":  It's not flimsy, it doesn't look fragile, it won't break or wobble or fall over easily.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

4 minutes ago, ALwin said:

That Rode Tripod is just overpriced for something used on a table top.

What I mean by "solid":  It's not flimsy, it doesn't look fragile, it won't break or wobble or fall over easily.

ok then I did understand you right :)

I know what the word solid mean, just wasnt totally sure when it was in a sentence as you used it.

But now I know :)

-Stephen Hawking

• 3 weeks later...

I did buy the mic, but I noticed something

The 5m aux cable I did buy to use with it, but it adds noise for some reason.

I can not hear the same noise when using the cable with headphones.

it also disappears when just using mic straight in to my computer not the place the mic can be when I use it)

the same is the case with in to the camera, when I use the cable and the bars at the manual audio settings is about 1/4 of the way, and then removing the cable and putting the mic straight in to the camera, it is much lover (actually no dots)

and the most strange thing is the noise isnt there when using it as a headphone extension.

-Stephen Hawking

I did buy the mic, but I noticed something

The 5m aux cable I did buy to use with it, but it adds noise for some reason.

I can not hear the same noise when using the cable with headphones.

it also disappears when just using mic straight in to my computer not the place the mic can be when I use it)

the same is the case with in to the camera, when I use the cable and the bars at the manual audio settings is about 1/4 of the way, and then removing the cable and putting the mic straight in to the camera, it is much lover (actually no dots)

and the most strange thing is the noise isnt there when using it as a headphone extension.

I'm lost on what you're saying.  Let's clarify:

• You bought a 5m long aux cable
  • if you use that 5m extension cable to connect the mic to the computer, there's noise when you record.  Does that noise also exist when you play back the recording or do you only hear it when recording and you are monitoring on the headphones?
  • when you connect the mic straight to the computer, without using the extension cable, there is no noise?
  • when you connect the mic directly to the camera, without the use of that aux extension cable, you don't hear noise?
  • when you have the mic connected to the camera with the aux extension cable and you've set the audio gain to 1/4th of the way to max or the audio level meter is showing 4 bars when you are recording, you hear noise or what are you saying here?
  • what do you mean using it as an headphone extension, you mean you use that same 5m aux cable to connect your headphone to the computer/camera to listen to the audio?

Oh and which mic did you get, I don't remember?

Just now, ALwin said:

I'm lost on what you're saying.  Let's clarify:

• You bought a 5m long aux cable
  • if you use that 5m extension cable to connect the mic to the computer, there's noise when you record.  Does that noise also exist when you play back the recording or do you only hear it when recording and you are monitoring on the headphones?
  • when you connect the mic straight to the computer, without using the extension cable, there is no noise?
  • when you connect the mic directly to the camera, without the use of that aux extension cable, you don't hear noise?
  • when you have the mic connected to the camera with the aux extension cable and you've set the audio gain to 1/4th of the way to max or the audio level meter is showing 4 bars when you are recording, you hear noise or what are you saying here?
  • what do you mean using it as an headphone extension, you mean you use that same 5m aux cable to connect your headphone to the computer/camera to listen to the audio?

• Yes, 3m would probably be fine, but the store only had 2,5, and I want a little bit of choice in where I place the mic, but woud maybe be fine
  • Yes it is there when playing back. I didn't use monitoring on headhones. but there is no exstra noice I can heare if I use the cable as an exstention on my headphones.
  • There is noise, but its like half of that is is with the cable. The noise that is there when I use no cable is probably the mic and I probably have to live with it.
  • The sound when straight to camera have some noise, but much less than with the cable by seeing at audio level meter(I havent actually listened to it, probably should do that to compare to computer)
  • What I ment is that when I set the audio level with the cable in camera, the noise is 1/4 of the audio level meter, but when there it is directly in to the camera, the noise is less like 1/6 if it or 1/8 at the same setting on camera
  • I mean using the aux cable from my computer too my hedphones and listening for noise.

This is a audio file of trying to be silent with the cable. (to hear the noise better)

The noise that is gone when not using the cable is the "vibrating" sound, or the lighter sound.

I can not hear that when using the cable just as longer headphone cable.

Støy.wav

-Stephen Hawking

snip

I downloaded the WAV file you posted and played it in VLC with the volume turned to max and only then did I hear a very quiet sounding hissing type of noise which will happen with even the cleanest audio file if the volume is turned up to the max.  So I imported the file into Adobe Audition just to check the audio levels and it never went above -40db.  This means the wav file recorded audio where the volume/gain was very very low.  I would consider any noise at this level to be negligible.

By the way which mic did you get in the end, the VideoMic or the VideoMic Go or something else?

OK so let me explain to you how to set the audio up on your camera to record audio using the mic attached to the camera (with or without the aux cable).

1. Setting the audio gain in the camera. Refer to image below.

Different audio recording devices have different quality preamps, with photo cameras having some of the lower quality ones because there's only so much that can fit inside their camera bodies.  So when you set the audio level in the camera, you can set it to Auto and it will probably do a fairly good job in good conditions.  But otherwise use Manual.  Then set the Rec. level to an appropriate amount.  To do this, you need to keep the mic attached and monitor the two L+R bars below the settings and do a sound check.

2. Audio levels (the two L+R bars with -40, -12 and 0 db values, yes those values 40 and 12 are negative)

Typical dialogue recording should peak around -12 db or close to it +/- a couple of db.  So when you set the Rec. level on your camera, keep the mic attached and have someone stand at distance away from the camera that you want them to be standing when you film them.  Or the object with the audio you want to record the same distance that you want it to be when filming.  Have the person speak at the level of voice (or the loudness of the object being filmed at the loudness you want) and you monitor the audio levels.  If the levels go into the red or reach 0db, the Rec. level is too high.  If the peak levels are way lower than -12db then the Rec. level is too low.

As for using the mic connected with your computer, I guess you are connecting the mic to the mic port on your soundcard.  In the Recording Devices setting, check the input levels for your mic.  If you are using a software like Adobe Audition you can monitor the audio levels more accurately as you adjust the volume for the mic.

Note: On all the cameras I've used for video (including all the audio recording devices I've ever used), even when I set everything correctly (input volume/gain levels and monitoring audio levels) while I am recording and using a headset to monitor audio, depending on the volume level I've set for the headphone output I may hear some noise.  But when I take the recording from the memory card and play it back on my editing machine, there is no noise.  That's because I usually set my headphone volume a bit high when I am monitoring the sound while filming.

maxresdefault.jpg

Here's some other audio recording tips I can give you:

1. For example, say you want to use your camera to film someone reciting a poem.  Before you have that person start talking, record at least one minute of ambient sound and one minute after.  You can use the audio "footprint" of those one minute gaps before and after as a noise print in a tool like Adobe Audition to clean up noise, if there is any.   But don't be too zealous to clean up perceived noise.  If you do too much it will cause distortions in the audio.
  2. Another thing I do, when filming something like an interview where there's the anchor asking questions and interviewee responding, I usually ask both to wait a couple of seconds between the question being asked and the response being given.  This way when I need to cut segments of the interview in Premiere, I can quickly identify where one ends and the other begins.  This might not be possible if you are filming a TV show or movie where the actors need to be engaging in dialogue quickly.  Also when filming an interview, if I don't want to keep the "questions asked" in the final cut, I usually tell the person being interviewed to somehow repeat the question being asked when he/she responds.

Firstly, I am not using adobe products because they are expensive, I am still in school (nothing to do with photography or videography) until summer next year, I am mostly using free software at the moment, even if that is limiting.

I did go for the Videomic (some call it rycote). 

And that hissing isnt that low like it might seem, especially if I have the mic longer away than right up in my/a persons face. I will get back with a file that have a "reference sound" so you can compare how the loudness of it is.

Was recorded at computer btw. I pretty much plugged it in and recorded :)

in to the audio port back on the motherboard :)

I did just skim through, will get back to this another day. and answer more :)

-Stephen Hawking

5 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

I did go for the Videomic (some call it rycote). 

Rycote is referring to the mount system used on the Videomic.  They are a brand that produces accessories for mics.

Well you don't need to use Adobe products, I was just using them as examples because I have them.  Try something like Audacity, it should also have audio level meters.

On 18.9.2016 at 1:38 AM, ALwin said:

Rycote is referring to the mount system used on the Videomic.  They are a brand that produces accessories for mics.

Well you don't need to use Adobe products, I was just using them as examples because I have them.  Try something like Audacity, it should also have audio level meters.

I know it is the mount system, but many call the Røde Videomic (non go/pro) Videomic Rycote, at least on the nett.

But forget the noise when using it with camera and aux cable part, it isnt there, it was be that did remember wrong or didnt plug the mic in all the way or something.

But I think I have nailed down what makes the buzz noise when I use it with the PC. I think it is because my computer isnt connected to earth. ("old" house) or some sort of "disturbances" in the electrical network.

Why I think that is:
My the problem is with my laptop too (with the cable) when it is on my table and is plugged in to the charger.

But when I did plug the charger out to test in another room, it went away.

Sat the laptop down and plugged the charger in, and its back.

When using it at the desktop, the noise reduces when I touch the metal on my case with my hand :o

I will try to test more.

have to figure out how I will fix it, do some research.

Still haven't really made a file that is noise compared to voice at some distance.

but when my normal voice is around -15 db when I talk, and -12 when I talk louder, the noise is -30, half a meter away.

that might not be that good information, because people talk at different loudnesses.

-Stephen Hawking

but when my normal voice is around -15 db when I talk, and -12 when I talk louder, the noise is -30, half a meter away.

Well this can be typical, check the input level setting for your Recording Devices on the PC when the mic is connected.  I assume you're not using an audio interface between the mic and the computer, an interface will help you boost it.  -15db is fine, as I said +/- a couple of db is ok since you can always lower or raise the volume when editing in post.

Have done some more testing, and can confirm that the buzz is because of missing earth. (not the same settings as last test and I boosted with 10db after recording)

Tested it on my laptop more.

When using charger non earthed socket, Buzz = around -24 db

When not using charger, No buzz, just what I call what I would expect as noise, like a low "rumbeling"(or what you call it) like sound = around -36 db

When using charger in a socked with earth, just rumbeling = around -36 db 

Me sort of talking a little bit  loader than normal, may be little bit higher (30-40 cm away I think) = around -9 db

It would be better to get the buzz away, but I do not think there are another way than making the socket earthed, and that may be expensive...

-Stephen Hawking

• 3 weeks later...

Fixed that problem, it must have been a combination of no earth and faulty 3,5mm cable.

But the mic have more noise than I expected it to have, this test is at 30-40 cm distance (I think) (dont judge my voice pliz)

Røde VideoMic noise test.wav

-Stephen Hawking

5 hours ago, Mihle Gaming said:

Fixed that problem, it must have been a combination of no earth and faulty 3,5mm cable.

But the mic have more noise than I expected it to have, this test is at 30-40 cm distance (I think) (dont judge my voice pliz)

Røde VideoMic noise test.wav

Have you tried enabling the high pass filter on the mic?  It's the little switch with 80hz marked.  How is the mic connected to the camera?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

1 minute ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Have you tried enabling the high pass filter on the mic?  It's the little switch with 80hz marked.  How is the mic connected to the camera?

Yes, it changes almost nothing.

That exact file is recorded at my PC, but it is the same connected to the camera. And it does not matter if I use a 3,5mm extension or not.
Can the battery quality on the 9v affect it?

I start to believe that I either do something really strange, or the mic is faulty...

-Stephen Hawking

On 10/5/2016 at 11:00 PM, Mihle Gaming said:

Yes, it changes almost nothing.

That exact file is recorded at my PC, but it is the same connected to the camera. And it does not matter if I use a 3,5mm extension or not.
Can the battery quality on the 9v affect it?

I start to believe that I either do something really strange, or the mic is faulty...

You can always contact Rode to see if they will service it or replace it.  But before you do, do you have any friends or know anyone who knows what they are doing and can test the mic for you?  The chances of you getting a faulty mic is very low though of course no one is 100% immune to getting a bad batch.  You can also record the audio and clean up the noise in post.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

2 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

You can always contact Rode to see if they will service it or replace it.  But before you do, do you have any friends or know anyone who knows what they are doing and can test the mic for you?  The chances of you getting a faulty mic is very low though of course no one is 100% immune to getting a bad batch.  You can also record the audio and clean up the noise in post.

I can send it in and get the money back until Saturday next week if I wanted to, and then I can buy a new one or a different one.

No, I do not know anyone that can things about mics/videography.

From the tests I have seen on the internet, all of them have less noise, and if all of them did remove noise in post, I would call them all liars.

Like (it is the older version of the mic I think (different mount)) but it should be the same sound I think.

I know I can remove noise in post (Audacity), but then I would have to buy a new mic to chat with others on my computer, because the noise is too bad.

BTW, if I turn the mic gain to -20db, the noise is at the exact same level, but my voice get lower. If that mean anything to you.

-Stephen Hawking

8 hours ago, Mihle Gaming said:

I can send it in and get the money back until Saturday next week if I wanted to, and then I can buy a new one or a different one.

No, I do not know anyone that can things about mics/videography.

From the tests I have seen on the internet, all of them have less noise, and if all of them did remove noise in post, I would call them all liars.

Like (it is the older version of the mic I think (different mount)) but it should be the same sound I think.

I know I can remove noise in post (Audacity), but then I would have to buy a new mic to chat with others on my computer, because the noise is too bad.

BTW, if I turn the mic gain to -20db, the noise is at the exact same level, but my voice get lower. If that mean anything to you.

I understand what you mean by setting the gain to -20db.  I think people who use the Rode VideoMic probably do some bit of noise cleaning in post.  I downloaded your test file and for me, the noise when you weren't saying anything was at an acceptable level that could easily be cleaned up in post. You have the new generation of the videomic with the red rycote mount I think, this is improved from the first generation of the videomic that was a bit more noisy.  But your voice when you start talking sounds a bit low, are you speaking at your normal voice or whispering?

By the way, that mic is not really meant for VOIP applications on the computer.  If you want a mic for that get one designed for VOIP.

If you feel uncomfortable with the audio quality of the mic, go ahead and return it and get something else.

No I am not wispering, I am talking with a normal voice, the mic is around 20-40 cm away.

I know it isnt made for VOIP, but I did hope I would be able to use it for it.

The noise is much more than I expected.

-Stephen Hawking