I may want to buy a camera

9 hours ago, Mihle Gaming said:

Have gotten the Canon 600D I am borrowing, and personally, I think the difference between that and 1000D is night and day. (haven't tested image quality but that isnt that important, 1000Ds image quality was good enough for me)

The screen, the menus, the rubber grip, and things I cant describe is so much better :).

Between a $500 camera and a $5000 camera, both cameras are capable of taking photos and it will be the skill of the photographer that determines the quality of the images.  The main differences for the cost are other features which are not necessarily part of the sensor technology.  Stuff like alloy vs plastic composite body, continuous shooting frame rate, buffer size, weather sealing, so on.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

28 minutes ago, ALwin said:

Between a $500 camera and a $5000 camera, both cameras are capable of taking photos and it will be the skill of the photographer that determines the quality of the images.  The main differences for the cost are other features which are not necessarily part of the sensor technology.  Stuff like alloy vs plastic composite body, continuous shooting frame rate, buffer size, weather sealing, so on.

I would take a camera with the features of 600D but the sensor of 1000D over a camera with the sensor of 600D but the features of 1000D any day after what I have seen on those two cameras.

but still have to wait on my SD card, the 2gb I got to borrow with the cameras is not enough when I travel to London :)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

I would take a camera with the features of 600D but the sensor of 1000D over a camera with the sensor of 600D but the features of 1000D any day after what I have seen on those two cameras.

I see nothing wrong with people selecting the choice of camera they buy using this logic.  If photography were purely just a hobby for me I could likely do with just a Nikon D3x00 or D5x00 body.  But as it is not, the choices I made reflect the "other" features I require to be able to work in a variety of conditions and situations.

As for memory cards, while you can save money in buying cards from brands such as Transcend, I would recommend you get at least a good Sandisk or Lexar card.  Primarily because with many Sandisk and Lexar cards they give you a one year license to their data recovery software.  You don't have to activate the license key right away, keep it as a backup for the day you need it (though it is very very rare).  I have a small collection of such license keys tucked away in my camera bags.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I did buy a Sandisk :)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

• 3 weeks later...

Just asking here because I dont want to make a new tread.

After what I think I now understand that I did not do before is that it is a "hidden" Jpeg file in RAW files that is used when you use like Windows image viewer?

So For pictures that I do not want to edit, but I want to have because of "memory" or sharing with like my parents, should I just keep the Raw file and I can get that Jpeg out from there if I want to send it to someone (like my parents), (because it already have little bit more contrast and saturation than raw in a way I am fine with) or should I start taking Pictures with RAW+Jpeg and deleting the RAW for the ones that is just personal use?

I dont want to edit all the not that good photos I want to Keep for personal use, and Jpeg quality is fine.

-Stephen Hawking

50 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

snip

Yep RAW files usually contain a preview version in JPEG, or you can always generate one quickly.

Whether you record RAW+JPEG or RAW only or JPEG only is up to you, and also what you do with the files.

I personally do not like deleting my RAW files, unless they are the ones I reject.  After each shoot, I load all the files from the memory card into LR and quickly flag the ones that are potential keepers and the ones I reject.  The rejected ones are the only ones I delete.  And from the ones I flag as potential keepers, I go through another selection process to pick the ones I will use.  But I still keep the others in case my mind changes later. But I never delete the RAW of all images I keep, because I may go back to them later and produce another version of a final product.  Some of my RAW originals have produced quite a few different looking final products.

Yes you can easily extract the jpeg from the RAW just make sure that the resolution of the jpeg is high enough and that the compression isn't too high

I did find out that canons Digital professional software can convert Raw to jpeg and it looks like the pictures would have looked if I would have it set to Jpeg in camera.

I will maybe do that with pictures that isnt the best, but I want to keep just for me and my parents, like pictures of us when we where in London :)

-Stephen Hawking

Just found out that the few pictures I tried to use was an exception from the Auto export or what it is called in RawTherapee.

randomly tested with others, and they look like the Jpeg. will use that for the pictures that it does right at the "personal" pictures.

I will ofc not do that with the pictures I think is good enough and fits to maybe be shared to others like a good picture and not just "personal"/I can look back on in the future.

Looks like RawTherape Auto thingy has problems with pictures that has a lot of sky (1/3 of picture and above)

-Stephen Hawking

• 3 weeks later...

Posting it here as I still dont want to make a new thread.

When it comes to mics, what is the real difference between Røde videomic and røde videomic go?

can only find Go vs Pro on google... Pro is too expensive.

and I do not have a mic for my computer either (if you do not count my old headset). is it possible to use it on a computer instead of buying 2 mics? with some sort of stand?

-Stephen Hawking

24 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

snip

You mean between this model

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917425-REG/rode_videomic_r_videomic_with_rycote_lyre.html

and this model

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1012003-REG/rode_videomic_go_videomic_go_on_camera_shotgun.html

Let's see,

1. Frequency response
  2. built in low cut filter on the VideoMic
  3. Padding
  4. Uses it's own power source instead of being powered by a camera
  5. Slightly better SPL

And yes, you can use those mics with a computer, you just need a TRS extension cable.

Ok, so the non GO version is worth the +25% price cost Where I live? OK.

-Stephen Hawking

Sorry for asking so many questions, you are a great person ALwin :)

If you where to boy a small desk stand to use with a mic like videomic, Are these sutable? are some of them crap?

https://www.kjell.com/no/produkter/lyd-og-bilde/foto-og-video/stativ/hama-minitripodstativ-p57303

https://www.kjell.com/no/produkter/lyd-og-bilde/foto-og-video/stativ/fleksibel-tripod-p57398

https://www.kjell.com/no/produkter/lyd-og-bilde/foto-og-video/stativ/fleksibelt-stativ-p57397

(the sites is in Norwegian, but you can still se what tripods they are)

or should I go for the Røde tripod that is made for the videomics(that is also more expensive)?

(another store) 

I think I also have heard that you need an adapter to use the mics on those or other tripods, are that true?

-Stephen Hawking

On 7/10/2016 at 5:15 PM, Mihle Gaming said:

Doesnt PhotoME show the shutter count?

I am not 100% sure what you mean?

If it is a Canon the only way to get the shutter count is magic lantern or the Canon service.

What's not clear?

1 minute ago, .spider. said:

If it is a Canon the only way to get the shutter count is magic lantern or the Canon service.

What's not clear?

Why quote a old post?

-Stephen Hawking

EDIT: dubble post because forum bug

-Stephen Hawking

1 minute ago, Mihle Gaming said:

Why quote a old post?

Was displayed as the latest post

3 minutes ago, .spider. said:

Was displayed as the latest post

it isnt, are you sure you didnt just forgot to change to page 3?

-Stephen Hawking

EDIT: Dubble post this time too because of forum bug.

-Stephen Hawking

Just now, Mihle Gaming said:

it isnt, are you sure you didnt just forgot to change to page 3?

It was for me because of the slow loading forum

40 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

Sorry for asking so many questions, you are a great person ALwin :)

If you where to boy a small desk stand to use with a mic like videomic, Are these sutable? are some of them crap?

https://www.kjell.com/no/produkter/lyd-og-bilde/foto-og-video/stativ/hama-minitripodstativ-p57303

https://www.kjell.com/no/produkter/lyd-og-bilde/foto-og-video/stativ/fleksibel-tripod-p57398

https://www.kjell.com/no/produkter/lyd-og-bilde/foto-og-video/stativ/fleksibelt-stativ-p57397

(the sites is in Norwegian, but you can still se what tripods they are)

or should I go for the Røde tripod that is made for the videomics(that is also more expensive)?

(another store) 

I think I also have heard that you need an adapter to use the mics on those or other tripods, are that true?

I wouldn't be able to say.  If you buy the Rode VideoMic and mount them on these sort of mini desktop tripods they may work or they may tilt over if the mic's weight is not balanced properly.  But the ones with the flexible legs might offer you more room to spread out the legs further lowering the center of gravity.

How much does a proper mic stand cost in Norway?  They don't have to be expensive, I can get really cheap ones even in Switzerland, for under $20.  They also come in various sizes.

Depends on what you meen, if you meen those that just stand on the ground, cheepest I found was 230 NOK (21€/31$) Like this one

If you talk about those that is made for like podcast mic, like This one, 999  Nok (126€)

But one thing I dont like about stores in Norway that I cant find a single one that has a category that is just mic stands, or small camera stands. so it may be much more than I know out there.

I really want a stand that can stand on the desk.

I also found this one

-Stephen Hawking

EDIT: dubble post because of forum bug

-Stephen Hawking

EDIT: Triple post because of forum bug

-Stephen Hawking

39 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

I also found this one

This one might be good, it seems to have a heavy base.