What is the Easiest Language

Little Bear
13 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The only one I can't really get my head around is Ruby. It's like the ones I mentioned are Latin languages and Ruby is Chinese to me. Or maybe Russian. I'm sure if I spent some time with it I'd understand it more.

Did you have any specific problems? C, Python, C# and JS are way more similar to each other than to Ruby.

Thanks guys (and quite possibly girls), for giving some excellent information, that I am sure not only I am looking for!

Motivation is where, and what you make of it.

“It is relatively unusual that a physical scientist is truly an atheist. Why is this true? Some point to the anthropic constraints, the remarkable fine tuning of the universe. For example, Freeman Dyson, a Princeton faculty member, has said, ‘Nature has been kinder to us that we had any right to expect.'”  Albert Einstein

i'mma go out on a limb and say LISP, simply because it's so easy to debug.  You just randomly add or remove parenthesis until your program works.

But seriously, on pure ease of learning it's python with almost no competition.

19 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I think it was more Ruby was reminding me of Visual Basic, and in hindsight I hated that language.

I never even saw a piece of VB code, so I can't comment on their similarities.

Well here's a spot where I think would be really handy for someone to learn code: does it come with an easy to use debugger? And by easy to use, a GUI based one with all the bells and whistles.

Sometimes you need to be able to poke inside the program and see for yourself what's going on step by step to understand what's going on.

If you don't want to learn it on forums an the like, I'd recommend using something like Codecademy.  I used youtube tutorials to learn VB and Imo, it's the most rewarding language for a new coder.  It teaches you a lot of cool elements and a lot of stuff that you can apply to other languages.

python!!!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

If you mean easiest to understand programming and good programming practices, Pascal would be perfect. Free pascal is a modern IDE which would work. Delphi is based on Pascal.

I was taught programming in high school using Borland Pascal for a year, and then we moved on to C to learn about pointers and more advanced algorithms.

It teaches students about data types, it's very verbose (it has for example if  then begin else end instead of accolades so a beginner can follow the flow of the program easily). All the fundamental structures ( if then else, while, case etc ) have specific keywords, all is very clear.

Once someone learns the basics with such a language and form good habits, it's easy to move on to programming languages that don't necessarily enforce you to declare data types (like php for example) or have arrays that resize themselves automatically or programming languages which are more friendly when it comes to specific things (like pointers for example)

PHP is quite easy. Javascript is also very easy but as it has to run in a browser is less useful. For designing Windows applications, C# is fairly easy to work with. Python may be easy as well, personally I was never interested in it.

I've seen people learning programming and I've come to the conclusion, languages which really force you with restrictions are better. Like forced intention in Python and Haskell will make you embrace properly indented code.

And strict typing may seem annoying at first, but it also helps for good code.

That said I'd recommend

• Basic.NET
        While it doesn't enforce anything you can set the compiler to be restrictive. And with
        Basic.NET they've cleaned up the archaic irregularities that came from the age of
        punch cards.
  • Pascal
        Pascal may not have forced line indention, but it was designed as a programming 
        language meant for teaching. (It is said the creator was shocked to see people acutally
        implement it.)
  • Haskell
        Haskell has all of strictness you can get, but it also has a completely different
        programming paradigm.

If it's really only about easy: Python or PHP

Tech unrelated stuff: Check out my web novel Amauga.