Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SHADY16

should i trade me EVGA 1080 FE in?

Posted · Original PosterOP

so my microcenter now has the msi gaming x 1080 and zotac amp edition i can still return the card but im wondering if any of those are actually worth it?

i7 8700k@5Ghz/Asus Rog Maximus X Code/32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHZ/Asus ROG Strix 2080 Ti/Samsung 960 PRO 512gb WD Blue 1tb/Agon 4k 60hz Gsync/Acer 2560x1440p G Sync 144hz

IMHO if you don't plan to water cool and still want to OC or have a slightly quieter card then go for the MSI.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

1 minute ago, AdamIsaacLang said:

IMHO if you don't plan to water cool and still want to OC or have a slightly quieter card then go for the MSI.

yeah ive overclocked my founders and in order to even keep it at 83c max i have to have fan at 100%

i7 8700k@5Ghz/Asus Rog Maximus X Code/32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHZ/Asus ROG Strix 2080 Ti/Samsung 960 PRO 512gb WD Blue 1tb/Agon 4k 60hz Gsync/Acer 2560x1440p G Sync 144hz

1 minute ago, SHADY16 said:

yeah ive overclocked my founders and in order to even keep it at 83c max i have to have fan at 100%

I'd say get the MSI then. It will likely able to OC farther due to it running cooler and it will be quieter. 

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Just a thought, why were you so desperate that you got a Founder's card when you knew the board partner ones would be out in a few weeks?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

2 minutes ago, SHADY16 said:

I don't think they are worth it over other custom cooled options (since they appear to be on the higher price end) but a custom cooled card will be better in general

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, soup said:

Just a thought why were you so desperate that you got a Founder's card when you knew the board partner ones would be out in a few weeks?

my 980 had failed and i needed a replacement and all they had at the time was the 1080 FE so it was either get that or go without a card for a while lol

1 hour ago, SHADY16 said:

my 980 had failed and i needed a replacement and all they had at the time was the 1080 FE so it was either get that or go without a card for a while lol

Fair enough. 

There just seems to be a lot of people who had got Founders cards now wanting to swap them to a board partner one.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

2 hours ago, SHADY16 said:

so my microcenter now has the msi gaming x 1080 and zotac amp edition i can still return the card but im wondering if any of those are actually worth it?

I would trade in a FE in an instant. The FE is a "blowfan sucker edition", which gets so warm that it has to downclock to keep temps down. Msi all the way m8!

Intel Core i7 6700K@4,3GHz - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 - Evga SuperNova 750W PSU - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD - Gainward GTX 1080 GS - BenQ xl2411T 144hz - Cooler Master Haf-X Big Tower Nvidia Edition

1 hour ago, Crusader93 said:

I would trade in a FE in an instant. The FE is a "blowfan sucker edition", which gets so warm that it has to downclock to keep temps down. Msi all the way m8!

1 hour ago, soup said:

Fair enough. 

There just seems to be a lot of people who had got Founders cards now wanting to swap them to a board partner one.

well i successfully got the msi gaming x 1080 in exchange for my evga FE and im happy with it