Graphics Card burnt pins - Help wanted

GuyGalaxy

Hey all!

Someone at my job dropped off a 970 that bit the dust for us to throw out. I started looking over the card, and noticed a few gold pins were burned. (Picture below)

Is there anyway to fix this? The card is now mine, and if i can get it even working a bit id feel accomplished. 

Thanks so much!

14679337376981358223255.jpg

1467933769616900888630.jpg

1) Find a pinout for a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot and find out what those pins are for

2) Clean up the area

3) See if you can find a replacement for that component

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I cant seem to find what those pins would be for. Any idea?

That profile pic is evil! :D

But as said above clean it up and maybe if that's possible try to make the burned pieces conductive again. I know you can get pens that have a conductive liquid, maybe that can help.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

19 minutes ago, GuyGalaxy said:

Hey all!

Someone at my job dropped off a 970 that bit the dust for us to throw out. I started looking over the card, and noticed a few gold pins were burned. (Picture below)

Is there anyway to fix this? The card is now mine, and if i can get it even working a bit id feel accomplished. 

Thanks so much!

14679337376981358223255.jpg

1467933769616900888630.jpg

I'd start by taking the heat sink off.  Then look and see what those pins trace to.  You're going to have to replace that part as well as hope the circuit still works.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

7 minutes ago, GuyGalaxy said:

I cant seem to find what those pins would be for. Any idea?

Looks to be power pins it's going to be hard to fix as the traces are burnt off but if you can replace what looks to be a burnt off component and rebuild the traces with new contact pads on the PCB it may have some potential. 

What conduction material would be best?

26 minutes ago, GuyGalaxy said:

What conduction material would be best?

There isn't an easy way to repair those fingers but you can use extremely thin copper foil/tape and rebuilt those pads and traces, it's possible. It will require an extremely fine hand at solder work also. 

58 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

1) Find a pinout for a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot and find out what those pins are for

2) Clean up the area

3) See if you can find a replacement for that component

That is definately a power pin... WTF was that guy doing that he drew that much power through the pin (the card is explicitly designed not to do this...)

BTW this is literally the exact type of thing people were worried about with the slot draw of the 480 being as much as 30-50% out of spec before the update today.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

He thinks that something else dripped and melted the pins. I have no clue what he was doing to melt these pins like this.

Dude give it up, those are gold plated for a reason. Dont go thinking adding any sort of metal will suddenly get it working because it wont. Worst case, you might even damage your motherboard.

I dont give up. Im gonna try to fix this card. I have a shit ton of crappy mother boards laying around. The worst case scenario is i have a broken 970 and a broken POS motherboard. ITs worth a shot.

Traces look burnt off, probably not possible to repair it unless you can trace those lines back to the nearest component and solder on from there, but that'd be a pain x1000 to do.

It looks like the first 4 pins have had their traces completely destroyed. Pin 1 is ground so that should be alright, pins 2, 3, 4 are all +12v so if one is connected and they share a common connection it might be alright. But if the 5th pin had it's traces destroyed it's probably got no chance of working.

If the card gives a display, it might be worth flashing a BIOS with the PCIE TDP set as low as possible, could stop it from pulling too much power through the still working pins.

Or just ignore me, I have very little idea about electronics on this kind of scale. If you're willing to break a POS board to see if it works, I'd love to hear the results

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

Im going to be logging this project in detail if anyone is interested. Seems like it could be fun just to screw around with