Ammendment to Community Standards and more

AlTech
2 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

I have yet to see a community where its publicised who is going to be promoted soon/considered as candidate/did not pass account checks/ turned down invitation.

Why? Security.

No I was recommended only the person in question should now.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

50 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It's still bad opsec. "Hey guys!! I'm being considered to become a mod!!". That could never lead to any solicitations for the misuse of power. On the flip side of that, it could be used as an unsafe test. If the person in question starts publicly bragging about it, then you will know not to promote him/her. However, you can't read private messages, so what that person does in private is out of the staffs/mods view and control.

The method that they are using to find mods is Executive Search. It's an extremely common way to secure desired talent, one in which you approach the candidate and try to convince them to work for you, rather than the other way around.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I don't see an issue with cursing. Yes there can be too much cursing, but that gets sorted out pretty fast, in case it gets abusive. Cursing has become integrated as normal speech for many people and it's quite a normal thing to use in everyday talk. I don't use it that often and many don't, but I know many people curse more often than I breathe, and they don't mean anything bad. 

As for mod applications I don't think that's a good idea. Just because someone thinks he might be a good mod doesn't mean that he will. If you really are a mod material you will probably be noticed. Give to the community and you shall be rewarded. Meaning someone is a "more experienced" or a veteran user doesn't in reality mean anything. What is even a more experienced user? Someone might have 100 posts and be the most experienced person in any kind of industry on the forum and might actually know how things work in reality.

What I think the mod applications would result in are:

1) More unnecessary work for current mods as hundreds of people, if not thousands would apply

2) Trolling applications

3) Possibly calling out current mods as to why people weren't answered due to high number of applications or why they were turned down, aka unnecessary drama

And we don't need a censorship on brands. That actually is in direct violation of CoC.

• Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.

Nothing good ever came out of censorship. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

52 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

And drama. It's a fucking stupid idea. As is trying to ban cursing. 

51 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It's still stupid. Dear God it's so blatantly obvious that you want to be a mod... Trust me, you have as much chance at being one as Askew does.

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

It's still stupid. Dear God it's so blatantly obvious that you want to be a mod... Trust me, you have as much chance at being one as Askew does.

Who is Askew?

@Windspeed36 Am i really that bad?

If so, i'll show myself out......

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Askew is a banned member (he was awesome though).

No you aren't that bad. Just annoying and desperate to be a mod. You probably won't ever be a mod. I also don't know why you'd want to be one.

11 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Who is Askew?

Askew was an iconic member of LTT, very active with lots of posts, who got banned.

I'm not entirely sure why, though.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 minute ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Askew was an iconic member of LTT, very active with lots of posts, who got banned.

I'm not entirely sure why, though.

I think he wanted to be banned so he ended up posting a bunch of really messed up stuff.

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

I think he wanted to be banned so he ended up posting a bunch of really messed up stuff.

Yeah, that rings a bell. Didn't he post NSFW stuff to get IP banned or something?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

3 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Yeah, that rings a bell. Didn't he post NSFW stuff to get IP banned or something?

Probably. I wasn't on at the time, I only saw the aftermath the next day.

7 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Why on Earth would someone try to get banned? Why wouldn't they just stop coming around?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

17 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Why on Earth would someone try to get banned? Why wouldn't they just stop coming around?

He was addicted to the forum, and he felt that the best way to get rid of the issue was to get himself banned, so he couldn't be tempted to come back.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

It would be nice to know if people are considered or turned down. So for example, PM someone you considered or PM someone you turned down.

Also, I just wanted to commend you & all the other mods on your professionalism on the forums :). Good Job Everybody!

It isn't like search for new job where 800 applications are sent and 799 get the "Sorry, we picked someone more suitable " email. People who are considered but turn position down will get PM (how else would they know to turn it down? ). Do the rest really need to know? Imo that only creates bad blood and possibly silent have towards moderation team. Or would you like PM saying "Yeah, sorry. We were thinking you'd be our new mod, but you have 3 warning points from 2 years ago and it was too much for us. "?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Some people may wish to know if they were turned down. They could use this information to improve themselves as a person.

Then ask for it in private conversation, and do not discuss such matters in public.  

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Who is Askew?

See, this is why they shouldn't announce it.

You are already feeling bad just because you might not have been considered. Imagine what it would feel like if you got a message saying that someone suggested you, then a little while later you get a new message saying that nobody else agreed that you would be a good mod. Would feel pretty bad, wouldn't it?

Ignorance is bliss.

I don't get why you want to be a mod so badly anyway. You're basically working for free. I go to these forums to relax a bit. Not to feel like I have a bunch of responsibilities that I need to take care of.

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

See, this is why they shouldn't announce it.

You are already feeling bad just because you might not have been considered. Imagine what it would feel like if you got a message saying that someone suggested you, then a little while later you get a new message saying that nobody else agreed that you would be a good mod. Would feel pretty bad, wouldn't it?

Ignorance is bliss.

I don't get why you want to be a mod so badly anyway. You're basically working for free. I go to these forums to relax a bit. Not to feel like I have a bunch of responsibilities that I need to take care of.

I agree with this, except for your final point(because it might not apply to others). I can imagine a member wanting to become a moderator because they care about the forum and want to help lead it in a better direction. Some people, like @AluminiumTech, visit it a lot and become emotionally invested, especially if this is the only major one they frequent. When that happens, it's difficult to not be hurt when something bad happens or problems arise, such as the moderation team being understaffed. I get that, and to be honest, part of me does want to become a moderator, but at the same time, I don't think I'm ready for the responsibility, I've been absent from the forums a lot lately, and I'm not sure if I represent the general attitude of this place. It's not really so clear-cut.

Oh, and I have to ask: You say you come to the forum to relax. Do you find debating with PatrickJP therapeutic or something? :P

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

5 hours ago, Shakaza said:

Oh, and I have to ask: You say you come to the forum to relax. Do you find debating with PatrickJP therapeutic or something? :P

I was just about to ask. I can't see how the AMD power fiasco thread with 20-30 pages was relaxing. :P Unless it's the same form of relaxation like how some people go to shooting range and some do sports. You take everything you hold inside and just get rid of it through arguing. :ph34r:

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

*there was some stuff here questioning your point about swearing, read the thread a little further and found an answer k den*

On 7/7/2016 at 2:47 AM, AluminiumTech said:

Well don't do it in the future unless you can help it. You never know if it will be changed.......

I think a mod would be understanding if it was a first time offense and the user in question was polite and understanding, if there was an alteration to the CS forbidding any form of swearing whether it have the intent of malice or not. Though if that was the case I think I'd jump over to the TekSyndicate Forum. The people over there are pretty laid back from what I can tell. Not to say there aren't plenty of laid back people here either but bigger community generally means greater chance of there being more people who aren't really laid back.

Plagiarism like others mentioned I think is pretty much covered with Piracy, since it could seen as a form of Piracy.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

13 hours ago, Shakaza said:

He was addicted to the forum, and he felt that the best way to get rid of the issue was to get himself banned, so he couldn't be tempted to come back.

Guess that's an option isn't it.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

17 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Who is Askew?

Don't worry AT, I won't ever be a mod... it would mean I can't be a dickhead.  You know, lead by example and all.  I like being a dickhead.

1 hour ago, stconquest said:

Don't worry AT, I won't ever be a mod... it would mean I can't be a dickhead.  You know, lead by example and all.  I like being a dickhead.

#asshatsunited

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I think this thread has gone on for long enough. ;)

Plagiarism is already forbidden on the forum, and we will remove any such content when it has been brought to our attention. Swearing is allowed up to a point; this falls under the rules regarding freedom of expression. We generally frown upon 'garbage topics' regardless of where they are posted - so if you see a topic which you think serves no purpose whatsoever that should be removed, please report it to us and we'll look into it.

As for an application process to be a mod, this is not feasible. By allowing applications we would be increasing the amount of work necessary to find a new mod considerably. The way we have chosen new mods until now has served us very well, and it is unlikely it will be changed any time soon.

Thread locked.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff