A Mini Review Of the PERFECT Bluetooth Reciever

iamdarkyoshi

I FINALLY FOUND IT!!!!

I have been looking for a bluetooth reciever that has media controls, does not have annoying voices when changing modes (AKA almost ANY chinese speaker with multiple modes) and costs very little. Well, I found it.

Ebay link below in the end of the thread, buy at your own risk because LTT Community Standards. And Grumpy cat.

What makes this one great? 

Features, price, the screen, and the mode changing sounds are pleasant beeps and boops. No voice samples at all. It comes with a remote. 6 programmed EQs. Wide voltage input, it has a 78M05 linear regulator on the input. Bypass it and you could run it directly off 5v, or keep it and use anywhere between 7 and ~15 or so. 

It can play from:

3.5mm stereo input

Bluetooth

SD Card

USB flash drive

FM tuner (antenna not fitted, its a spot you have to solder to but it sound great)

IMG_20160705_184537.jpg

IMG_20160705_184623.jpg

IMG_20160705_184606.jpg

Now, before you go and buy one, beware. Look below:

1467770554016689456299.jpg

The one on the right is from a different seller. It has basically the same features and even the same controller chip, but was programmed by an idiot. It speaks when changing modes like most chinese speakers, such as the beats pill clone, the JBL pulse clone, and the cheaper bose soundlink mini knockoff.

Why they would use voices even though there is a fucking SCREEN on these is beyond me. However, the voice samples are short and quiet... Still not nearly as satisfied as I am with the new one. The one being reviewed here is perfect.

The photos of the PCB on the ebay listing are DIFFERENT than the one I got. So don't assume by looking for a different cheaper one that you will get one with good mode sounds. I am not even sure if the seller will consistantly have these good ones. But I bought 5 more.

Screenshot_2016-07-05-18-55-18.png

So when I bought this thing, it was $3.96. It is now $4. 

Ebay sellers tend to run their prices up after items get popular, I would suggest you look for cheaper ones, but maybe not because you might end up with one of the shit units.

Anyway, here is the ebay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322140330424

I bought the one you see here on the 27th of june, and it arrived the 5th. Damn impressive!

Anyway, for those of you building homemade bluetooth speakers or want something cheap to buy to play with, this is a GREAT option. Couple it with a PAM8610 amplifier board (seriously they are like a dollar), a 3 cell lithium pack with BMS and some good speakers and you have something loud enough to be heard from a mile away. I know firsthand :D

So whats the output, line level I assume?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

4 minutes ago, spwath said:

So whats the output, line level I assume?

Yeah, and its a fairly hot output, fair bit louder than my phone. I shall try after dinner to see if it can drive headphones, because I can.

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Yeah, and its a fairly hot output, fair bit louder than my phone. I shall try after dinner to see if it can drive headphones, because I can.

I might get one, put it in my cabinet and connect it to my receiver, give it some bluetooth. Or hook it up to that amp you gave me, I have yet to do that, been busy with my keyboard.

20160628_184834.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

23 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

What phone do you have? Looks like it's running Oxygen OS. I have the oneplus x

`

32 minutes ago, klh2000 said:

What phone do you have? Looks like it's running Oxygen OS. I have the oneplus x

Stock android, I havent changed it from when I was doing some diagnostic work.

`How would you go about connecting it to a car/car stereo? The cheap chinese radio in my car doesn't work, and if this doesn't require too much solder-work I'd love to get it. (bought it anyway, cuz I'm sure I'll find some way to use it if the car doesn't work out. The question stands tho)

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

7 hours ago, ElfenSky said:

`How would you go about connecting it to a car/car stereo? The cheap chinese radio in my car doesn't work, and if this doesn't require too much solder-work I'd love to get it. (bought it anyway, cuz I'm sure I'll find some way to use it if the car doesn't work out. The question stands tho)

It has a line level out, which can either be fed directly into an amp or fed into your radio if it has a line input. For the purposes of testing mine, I soldered the line out wires onto a stereo 3.5mm socket and plugged in my little wooden cube speakers. The three twisted wires you saw in my pictures are the output, black is ground, red is the left channel and yellow is the right channel. This is where my 3.5mm socket was soldered.

There is also a header on the board for an input, which is likely just connected to the input jack on the front.

For those wondering, it can drive headphones but there is little bass. This is due to it using low value bypass capacitors on the audio output.

On 7/5/2016 at 7:26 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

Congrats on your find!

How does the FM functionality work?

Just to be clear - does it receive FM stations or does it transmit the MP3s?

Folding For Linus since July 2015

2 hours ago, petem said:

Congrats on your find!

How does the FM functionality work?

Just to be clear - does it receive FM stations or does it transmit the MP3s?

It recieves. When you go to FM, you hit the mode button and it scans through all channels, adding the ones that arent static as presets. When you change channels, you change presets, so there is no static between them. The reception sound quite good, but I do NOT think it has a stereo demodulator.

38 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

It recieves. When you go to FM, you hit the mode button and it scans through all channels, adding the ones that arent static as presets. When you change channels, you change presets, so there is no static between them. The reception sound quite good, but I do NOT think it has a stereo demodulator.

Drat - was hoping for a simple way to play MP3s from a USB card to the radio w/o having to wire it in (got RCA aux input plugs, but I had to reinforce the radio a while back, and now it is a *pain* to remove ...)

Tried a cheapy MP3 transmitter from amazon, but it sounded awful - tons of static, had to turn the radio way up.  It was painful to listen to.  Wonder if I should hack it to plug into the RCA plugs.

Thanks for the response!

Folding For Linus since July 2015

Hmm, I have another question for you - it's clearly smaller than 1 dim in size, are there any "mounting" brackets for it? I tried ebay, but couldn't find anything remotely relatable.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

5 hours ago, ElfenSky said:

Hmm, I have another question for you - it's clearly smaller than 1 dim in size, are there any "mounting" brackets for it? I tried ebay, but couldn't find anything remotely relatable.

i would just use a piece of plastic from the top of a dell optiplex tower cut to size

10 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

i would just use a piece of plastic from the top of a dell optiplex tower cut to size

But car-mounting brackets... Eh I'll just be on the look-out for 1 dim car radio covers for empty slots, maybe I'll find something.

Here's one, but 20 dollars for a stupid piece of plastic seems exessive.