My thoughts on the M50/M50x

Dackzy

I'm not super experienced in this field but I've tried a pair of M50s and compared them to my HD 558s (well, Game Ones to be specific) and... oh god, oh no...

I'm probably biased against them by nature as I've been using game ones (and pc 360s before them) for years and years now so I'm very used to one sound but I did not like their [the M50's] sound. The sound to me felt narrow or cramped, the lowest of the lows felt like blunt trauma and I swear the highs were out to kill me. Everything in between just didn't feel as present or enjoyable. I seriously don't get how every 'Youtuber' and their dog says these are the best. Maybe for doing sound design work and nothing else they might be fine, I wouldn't really know. I don't know about the "x" variant but the OG ones do feel quite sturdy. Can agree that comfort for long term isn't great. 

Have been needing some closed backs to use out of the house and want ones that are similar my 558's sound. A lot of people recommended the M50s so it's disappointing to find out they're like this, glad I tired them before I made any purchases though. Have heard good things about the M40Xs, on the look out for a store that will let me try them out.

8 minutes ago, FoxyOrange said:

I don't know about the "x" variant but the OG ones do feel quite sturdy. Can agree that comfort for long term isn't great. 

The cable is the onlything that is different. 

8 minutes ago, FoxyOrange said:

Have heard good things about the M40Xs, on the look out for a store that will let me try them out.

The soundstage is still not that great, the DT770 would have a bigger soundstage while having less bass than the M50x and better highs, but also a bit more focus in the highs

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

• 8 months later...

@Dackzy

Bought a digital piano, a casio privia px-350mbk

I am wondering if the sound of the piano from a m50/m50x will be ok.

Currently i am looking at a AKG K 553 Pro but i am not certain...

I need a headphone with the price between $100 and $200.

Thanks.

26 minutes ago, RomelSan said:

@Dackzy

Bought a digital piano, a casio privia px-350mbk

I am wondering if the sound of the piano from a m50/m50x will be ok.

Currently i am looking at a AKG K 553 Pro but i am not certain...

I need a headphone with the price between $100 and $200.

Thanks.

it would probably sound ok, but M50x's offer a bad value when you look at the audio quality you get for your money. K553's will have quite a bit better audio quality and in some ways a bit more precise. I have no idea about the capabilities of the casio privia px-350mbk, so I can't comment on that part.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

How do they sound compared to my HD 598s? I know they're very different pairs, but their prices are somewhat similar and I would like to see an audiophile's perspective on the comparison.

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

3 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

How do they sound compared to my HD 598s? I know they're very different pairs, but their prices are somewhat similar and I would like to see an audiophile's perspective on the comparison.

just going to do it in a short sum-up.

598's win in basically every aspect at least when it comes to audio quality, soundstage, and comfort. The M50/x's will have more bass and more treble, but the HD 598's will have no dip in the lower mids like the M50/x's have, so the deeper vocals will sound more present and not as muddy, they also have cleaner treble with no big spikes and no harshness(unlike M50/x's), but they don't extend the bass to the same degree as the M50/x's do and they (598) have a bump in the mid-bass which might lead you to hear it as a bit more "lush".

The detailing in the 598's is also better, basically, it is just a better headphone in every aspect, but ofc some people will like the signature of the M50/x's more than the HD 598's, which may or may not be because the M50/x's are so god damn up front about everything, they have this in your face sound where everything is just being pushed into the middle of your head.

basically, if you heard them side by side and you were given the price of the HD 598's you would think the M50's cost 80-90$, maybe 100$, not the 140-150$ they go for right now.