[Guide] How to overclock your monitor's refresh rate

I'm making this because I felt like it.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGED OR BROKEN DISPLAYS, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

Things you'll need

Windows Vista or later

An AMD/NVidia GPU, no Intel 

Custom resolution utility

Games to test with

A PC capable of the refresh rate you plan to OC to.

First download CRU from the link up there ^

Then extract the zip and open CRU

step2.PNG

Select the monitor you want to OC, then click add.

step3.PNG

Select your monitor's native resolution and type in the refresh rate you want to OC to then click OK, but don't go too high at a time.

Click OK and restart the PC.

Then right click the desktop and follow the gifs:

b4af2c177f72a45bace23eed358f43b6.gif

fc16c32c123a3696d9a24c77be7034d3.gif

Now all you do is load up some games and test it, hope this was useful ;) 

Edited by ShadowTechXTS

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

What's the worst thing that could happen if you put in bad numbers? ;)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

What's the worst thing that could happen if you put in bad numbers? ;)

Damage your monitor permanently

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

1 minute ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Yeah I thought that was a thing... (unless someone has evidence to the contrary)

Just thought that should be mentioned :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

or you can just use the nvidia control panel...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

can't, it'll fall into "unsuported input" and the 15 seconds to accept the change will pass and it'll revert back to previous (compatible) settings.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

AMD also has custom resolutions where you can change the refresh rate, I've use the above utility before, but that was years ago when it wasn't supported by the drivers.

5 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

can't, it'll fall into "unsuported input" and the 15 seconds to accept the change will pass and it'll revert back to previous (compatible) settings.

Then why does the nvidia control panel have this warning when you try?

Warning: The software utility you are about to enable ("utility") may potentially cause damage to your display monitor and void warranties, if any, in connection with your display monitor. 

[etc etc]

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Then why does the nvidia control panel have this warning when you try?

Because people are known to mess things up, also even if it works it's not recommended so they don't want to be held accountable if the user messes somethings up, the USA is known for some frivulous lawsuits, I wouldn't be surprised if someone would decide to bring a big company to court for something they themselves did!

Also, some cheap monitors might not support a refresh rate "in the long run" (might look fine at first but it could just stop working after a few days, or even hours?)

*turn his head and looks at those crap eMachine monitors*

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Because people are known to mess things up, also even if it works it's not recommended so they don't want to be held accountable if the user messes somethings up, the USA is known for some frivulous lawsuits, I wouldn't be surprised if someone would decide to bring a big company to court for something they themselves did!

Also, some cheap monitors might not support a refresh rate "in the long run" (might look fine at first but it could just stop working after a few days, or even hours?)

*turn his head and looks at those crap eMachine monitors*

So A, just legal things (which I think we all guessed), but also by the sounds of it, B, thee could actually be damage, like they said... at least on some screens.

27 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

how do you know if its not stable?

Your monitor will shut down or colors/resolution will be weird.

46 minutes ago, Enderman said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

43 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

AMD also has custom resolutions where you can change the refresh rate, I've use the above utility before, but that was years ago when it wasn't supported by the drivers.

I haven't seen that in Radeon settings, where is it?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

5 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Your monitor will shut down or colors/resolution will be weird.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I haven't seen that in Radeon settings, where is it?

It's there.  I got my monitor up to 65Hz stable!  xD

Display>Additional Settings>*select your display>Custom Resolutions

3 minutes ago, stconquest said:

It's there.  I got my monitor up to 65Hz stable!  xD

Found it, I almost forgot about the "advanced settings" :P 

✨PC Specs✨

9 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So A, just legal things (which I think we all guessed), but also by the sounds of it, B, thee could actually be damage, like they said... at least on some screens.

Personally never saw a screen get damaged by an unsupported refresh rate or resolution, the controllers have failsafe build in, but like any tech, it could have a flaw.

I have a dual monitor setup, one of them I've had for 5 years and I can push it up to 85Hz, and I run it at 75Hz since I got it. And while the controllers support 85Hz, maybe, just maybe, the TN panel itself doesn't and it could result in dead pixels in the long run? My guess is as good as yours, it's completely possible to damage a monitor, but in theory it shouldn't happen because of the failsafe that are technically in place.

2 minutes ago, Wedsea040 said:

What's the worst thing that could happen to my laptop display if I overclock it.

A broken laptop display. Most of the time when the monitor reaches an overclock it can't do, it'll say no signal and windows will undo it, but that's with desktops...

✨PC Specs✨

1 minute ago, Wedsea040 said:

It's rated for 60Hz, what do you think the highest I can SAFELY push it to is?

Try 61-65 then if you want, try and push it to 70, that might break it.

also I should probably put this in the main post:  I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGED OR BROKEN DISPLAYS, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

✨PC Specs✨

2 minutes ago, Wedsea040 said:

Thanks, will probably be cautious about this as it is a laptop, and I can't just get a new display for it.

You probably could get a replacement from Dell but still be careful.

✨PC Specs✨