Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
V0LTAGEzZ

Planned this a year ago, now want to buy-- what should change?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So my cousin wants a gaming PC because he's transitioning from LoL to Overwatch and wants to pick up some more serious titles.

 

about a year ago i was on top of my PC-building game, but since then i haven't really looked into anyhting. 

 

the budget is a preferably only a little over a thousand dollars and must not exceed 1500.

 

he already has most of the other equipment, and while his monitors, mice, keyboards and other accouterments

 

i'm proud of this build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mhcVjX 

 

but i need to know what to upgrade, but i'm a little behind on current gen stuff. 

 

Specifically the graphics; is it fine as it is? should we go for a 1070? 970 SLI-- but that would make upgrades harder.

 

otherwise i have a Corsair H100i that i was going to give him as a surprise when he got the build ot make overclocking a reality

 

what are your opinions?

 

thanks for your help, 

 

--V0LTAGE


CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.8Ghz, MoBoROG Maximus VI Formula, Graphics Cards: Dual MSI 4GB@8.5GHz Nvidia GTX 770@1.3GHz , Memory16GB Kingston HyperX @2.4Ghz Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, Storage: RAID 0: Seagate Barracuta x2 4TB, PSU: Corsair GS 800, Cooler: Corsair H100i, Case: Antec P280 Peripherals: Triple ASUS VH238H 1080p monitors (5760x1080p), Razer Mamba, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Razer Orbweaver, Steelseries H Wireless
Laptop: ASUS G750JW: CPUQuad-Core i7 4th Gen @3.4Ghz, Memory12GB memory, Storage: 1.5TB Hard Drive (1TB + 500GB), GPU: GTX 765m 2GB-GDDR5

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Always go for a more single powerful GPU over two less powerful in SLI, so go for the 1070 over the 970 if you can afford it.


Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Always go for a more single powerful GPU over two less powerful in SLI, so go for the 1070 over the 970 if you can afford it.

and then i suppose for a cheap upgrade down the line-- say 2 years from now-- a second 1070 could be picked up to drastically extend the life of the pc at relatively minimal cost?

 

i mean dual 660Ti's (IMO the best cards i ever bought) are still chewing through games no problem, and that strategy worked great for me.


CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.8Ghz, MoBoROG Maximus VI Formula, Graphics Cards: Dual MSI 4GB@8.5GHz Nvidia GTX 770@1.3GHz , Memory16GB Kingston HyperX @2.4Ghz Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, Storage: RAID 0: Seagate Barracuta x2 4TB, PSU: Corsair GS 800, Cooler: Corsair H100i, Case: Antec P280 Peripherals: Triple ASUS VH238H 1080p monitors (5760x1080p), Razer Mamba, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Razer Orbweaver, Steelseries H Wireless
Laptop: ASUS G750JW: CPUQuad-Core i7 4th Gen @3.4Ghz, Memory12GB memory, Storage: 1.5TB Hard Drive (1TB + 500GB), GPU: GTX 765m 2GB-GDDR5

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to add a CPU cooler, 6600K does not come with a stock one. If you do not plan to overclock it too much go with something like Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO / 212X or Cryorig H7. They will not be too expensive and can provide enough cooling performance to overclock the CPU a fair bit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Cavi said:

You need to add a CPU cooler, 6600K does not come with a stock one. If you do not plan to overclock it too much go with something like Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO / 212X or Cryorig H7. They will not be too expensive and can provide enough cooling performance to overclock the CPU a fair bit. 

Ah yes-- at the end of the post, I said I was giving him my H100i as a surprise.


CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.8Ghz, MoBoROG Maximus VI Formula, Graphics Cards: Dual MSI 4GB@8.5GHz Nvidia GTX 770@1.3GHz , Memory16GB Kingston HyperX @2.4Ghz Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, Storage: RAID 0: Seagate Barracuta x2 4TB, PSU: Corsair GS 800, Cooler: Corsair H100i, Case: Antec P280 Peripherals: Triple ASUS VH238H 1080p monitors (5760x1080p), Razer Mamba, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Razer Orbweaver, Steelseries H Wireless
Laptop: ASUS G750JW: CPUQuad-Core i7 4th Gen @3.4Ghz, Memory12GB memory, Storage: 1.5TB Hard Drive (1TB + 500GB), GPU: GTX 765m 2GB-GDDR5

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cavi said:

You need to add a CPU cooler, 6600K does not come with a stock one. If you do not plan to overclock it too much go with something like Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO / 212X or Cryorig H7. They will not be too expensive and can provide enough cooling performance to overclock the CPU a fair bit. 

Read the hole fucking thread

9 minutes ago, V0LTAGEzZ said:

 

otherwise i have a Corsair H100i that i was going to give him as a surprise when he got the build ot make overclocking a reality

as far as the build i would go for this http://pcpartpicker.com/list/8gPZ8K


When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, V0LTAGEzZ said:

Ah yes-- at the end of the post, I said I was giving him my H100i as a surprise.

I'm sorry, I missed that. It's all right then. 

@The Realist You don't need to be rude about it, I missed that because I looked at the PCPP list after reading and forgot about that. I already apologized. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, V0LTAGEzZ said:

So my cousin wants a gaming PC because he's transitioning from LoL to Overwatch and wants to pick up some more serious titles.

 

about a year ago i was on top of my PC-building game, but since then i haven't really looked into anyhting. 

 

the budget is a preferably only a little over a thousand dollars and must not exceed 1500.

 

he already has most of the other equipment, and while his monitors, mice, keyboards and other accouterments

 

i'm proud of this build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mhcVjX 

 

but i need to know what to upgrade, but i'm a little behind on current gen stuff. 

 

Specifically the graphics; is it fine as it is? should we go for a 1070? 970 SLI-- but that would make upgrades harder.

 

otherwise i have a Corsair H100i that i was going to give him as a surprise when he got the build ot make overclocking a reality

 

what are your opinions?

 

thanks for your help, 

 

--V0LTAGE

get a 1070


"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cavi said:

I'm sorry, I missed that. It's all right then. 

@The Realist You don't need to be rude about it, I missed that because I looked at the PCPP list after reading and forgot about that. I already apologized. 

@Cavi i was not rude or angry,i swear allot so it sounds rude ;)


When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Read the hole fucking thread

as far as the build i would go for this http://pcpartpicker.com/list/8gPZ8K

why would you say the i7 is better then the i5 in this build? as far as i know in college he was a CAD guy, not a video editing one, so i don't think 4 more threads for a hundred more dollars is worth it


CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.8Ghz, MoBoROG Maximus VI Formula, Graphics Cards: Dual MSI 4GB@8.5GHz Nvidia GTX 770@1.3GHz , Memory16GB Kingston HyperX @2.4Ghz Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, Storage: RAID 0: Seagate Barracuta x2 4TB, PSU: Corsair GS 800, Cooler: Corsair H100i, Case: Antec P280 Peripherals: Triple ASUS VH238H 1080p monitors (5760x1080p), Razer Mamba, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Razer Orbweaver, Steelseries H Wireless
Laptop: ASUS G750JW: CPUQuad-Core i7 4th Gen @3.4Ghz, Memory12GB memory, Storage: 1.5TB Hard Drive (1TB + 500GB), GPU: GTX 765m 2GB-GDDR5

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, V0LTAGEzZ said:

why would you say the i7 is better then the i5 in this build? as far as i know in college he was a CAD guy, not a video editing one, so i don't think 4 more threads for a hundred more dollars is worth it

I'd say that it would be better to first change the 970 to 1070 and then if it stays in the budget, an i7 really wouldn't hurt, however it's not necessary if it's only for gaming. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, V0LTAGEzZ said:

why would you say the i7 is better then the i5 in this build? as far as i know in college he was a CAD guy, not a video editing one, so i don't think 4 more threads for a hundred more dollars is worth it

1.The part price does not matter the full price of the build and the performance matters...the i7 would be more future proof

2.Why are you getting those drives? you are WAY overpaying the 840 evo the 850 evo is $30 cheaper and offers better performance and why pay $110 dollars for 2 1tb drivers thats not worth it

3.Why do you need a 750W supply? you dont need that much lmao and + its a CX which sucks balls


When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Realist said:

1.The part price does not matter the full price of the build and the performance matters...the i7 would be more future proof

2.Why are you getting those drives? you are WAY overpaying the 840 evo the 850 evo is $30 cheaper and offers better performance and why pay $110 dollars for 2 1tb drivers thats not worth it

3.Why do you need a 750W supply? you dont need that much lmao and + its a CX which sucks balls

He could also shave off a few dollars on the motherboard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, The Realist said:

1.The part price does not matter the full price of the build and the performance matters...the i7 would be more future proof

2.Why are you getting those drives? you are WAY overpaying the 840 evo the 850 evo is $30 cheaper and offers better performance and why pay $110 dollars for 2 1tb drivers thats not worth it

3.Why do you need a 750W supply? you dont need that much lmao and + its a CX which sucks balls

Could you take my original build and edit out those mistakes? i can't seem to find those options.

 

now that i look at it I think you're right that those are way too expensive for no reason


CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.8Ghz, MoBoROG Maximus VI Formula, Graphics Cards: Dual MSI 4GB@8.5GHz Nvidia GTX 770@1.3GHz , Memory16GB Kingston HyperX @2.4Ghz Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, Storage: RAID 0: Seagate Barracuta x2 4TB, PSU: Corsair GS 800, Cooler: Corsair H100i, Case: Antec P280 Peripherals: Triple ASUS VH238H 1080p monitors (5760x1080p), Razer Mamba, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Razer Orbweaver, Steelseries H Wireless
Laptop: ASUS G750JW: CPUQuad-Core i7 4th Gen @3.4Ghz, Memory12GB memory, Storage: 1.5TB Hard Drive (1TB + 500GB), GPU: GTX 765m 2GB-GDDR5

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, V0LTAGEzZ said:

Could you take my original build and edit out those mistakes? i can't seem to find those options.

 

now that i look at it I think you're right that those are way too expensive for no reason

Like i said i would go for my build,since the 1070 would be a MUCH better upgrade from a 970,the i7 would be more future proof + when it starts aging you just overclock it and its back in the game,your overpaying for the mobo for $110 cheaper you can get the same...you dont need 750W thats WAY too much,and its the CX series which sucks bad compared to the G2


When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Like i said i would go for my build,since the 1070 would be a MUCH better upgrade from a 970,the i7 would be more future proof + when it starts aging you just overclock it and its back in the game,your overpaying for the mobo for $110 cheaper you can get the same...you dont need 750W thats WAY too much,and its the CX series which sucks bad compared to the G2

what would you say to even ditching both of those drives for a single 850 EVO 500GB that's cheaper than the two?


CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.8Ghz, MoBoROG Maximus VI Formula, Graphics Cards: Dual MSI 4GB@8.5GHz Nvidia GTX 770@1.3GHz , Memory16GB Kingston HyperX @2.4Ghz Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, Storage: RAID 0: Seagate Barracuta x2 4TB, PSU: Corsair GS 800, Cooler: Corsair H100i, Case: Antec P280 Peripherals: Triple ASUS VH238H 1080p monitors (5760x1080p), Razer Mamba, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Razer Orbweaver, Steelseries H Wireless
Laptop: ASUS G750JW: CPUQuad-Core i7 4th Gen @3.4Ghz, Memory12GB memory, Storage: 1.5TB Hard Drive (1TB + 500GB), GPU: GTX 765m 2GB-GDDR5

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, V0LTAGEzZ said:

what would you say to even ditching both of those drives for a single 850 EVO 500GB that's cheaper than the two?

If your fine with 500gb of storage its better


When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, V0LTAGEzZ said:

what would you say to even ditching both of those drives for a single 850 EVO 500GB that's cheaper than the two?

If he doesn't need that much space than it would be ok, but I highly doubt that 500GB will be enough D: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

alright; this is looking pretty great to me

 

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/cjvXHN

 

thoughts?


CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.8Ghz, MoBoROG Maximus VI Formula, Graphics Cards: Dual MSI 4GB@8.5GHz Nvidia GTX 770@1.3GHz , Memory16GB Kingston HyperX @2.4Ghz Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, Storage: RAID 0: Seagate Barracuta x2 4TB, PSU: Corsair GS 800, Cooler: Corsair H100i, Case: Antec P280 Peripherals: Triple ASUS VH238H 1080p monitors (5760x1080p), Razer Mamba, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Razer Orbweaver, Steelseries H Wireless
Laptop: ASUS G750JW: CPUQuad-Core i7 4th Gen @3.4Ghz, Memory12GB memory, Storage: 1.5TB Hard Drive (1TB + 500GB), GPU: GTX 765m 2GB-GDDR5

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×