Neighbor Trys to Shoot Down My Phantom 4!

1 hour ago, straight_stewie said:

Beyond that, the hobby has been in the public and government crosshairs for some time, it's probably best to just lay low or risk killing it for everyone.

Agreed. It's (frankly, sorry, OP) novice Phantom pilots that got their shiny new toy from best buy or wherever and use it kinda recklessly and ruins it for the rest of us. OP should talk to the neighbors, maybe bring the aircraft to show them (then show them the price tag xD) What it is, how it works, the video it can capture, and how the detail is not fine enough to spy on people especially from great altitude. 

As @SamStrecker said, fucking rednecks. 

ASU

Clearly the solution here is to use the drone to drop printouts of applicable laws onto their doorstep along with a notice that if they do it again you will go to the police along with a contact email and maybe an apology.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

On 7/3/2016 at 6:53 PM, TheRandomness said:

wtf..? Go and have a word with them?

Yes, because if someone is bananas enough to open fire on my drone, I'm totally going to walk over and have cross words with them. :P

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 3:53 PM, Zentex said:

I was way above their "airspace" though.

Not true.

Legally, people own the airspace above their property up until 5000ft ASL.

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Just now, UberGamerKing said:

This is false. The only federal regulation is that people "own enough airspace to be able to reasonably enjoy property".

Try this article as a start. 

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Why are you spying on your neighbors?

-KuJoe

I would have shot it down personally, the rule of thumb is keep you damn drones off other people's private property and then your never in the wrong. People don't like some idiot's drone with a camera flying over their house it creeps them out, and as you saw they get angry.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Public Airspace begins 500ft above ground level, so as long as you were over 500ft in the air they have no right to attempt to shoot down your drone. I hear people saying ALL THE TIME that "if anyone flies a drone by my house ima shoot that f***** down" and it really pisses me off, you don't shoot at someones RC Airplane or their RC race car, so why the hell do all these people think they can shoot down drones? Even worse, they think they can shoot down Amazon drones if they see one. Good luck with that one in court buddy

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

16 hours ago, UberGamerKing said:

Not true.

Not true at all, it is 500ft above ground level (in the US at least)

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Just now, Keudn said:

Public Airspace begins 500ft above ground level,

I don't know how many times I'll have to post this link on this thread before someone doesn't ignore me. You're only entitled to "enough airspace to reasonably enjoy your property". There is no federal regulation that states a specific altitude of airspace ownership. "public airspace" is just a mean nothing term to make people feel good.

The United States Federal government has complete and total sovereign ownership of all United States airspace and grants you, a property holder, the right to use some of it without a license so that you can "reasonably enjoy your property". Rest assured, if the DoD needs to conduct defensive operations stateside, all your rights to "reasonably enjoy your property" through the use of airspace will be nullified.

If yall would just google "how much airspace do I own US" you would find this answer. Since you won't do that for yourself: This is the FAA's eCFR

14 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

I don't know how many times I'll have to post this link on this thread before someone doesn't ignore me. You're only entitled to "enough airspace to reasonably enjoy your property". There is no federal regulation that states a specific altitude of airspace ownership. "public airspace" is just a mean nothing term to make people feel good.

The United States Federal government has complete and total sovereign ownership of all United States airspace and grants you, a property holder, the right to use some of it without a license so that you can "reasonably enjoy your property". Rest assured, if the DoD needs to conduct defensive operations stateside, all your rights to "reasonably enjoy your property" through the use of airspace will be nullified.

If yall would just google "how much airspace do I own US" you would find this answer. Since you won't do that for yourself: This is the FAA's eCFR

Just posting the FAA's eCFR does not mean anything. For example, here is the FAA's website https://www.faa.gov/. So what? Now linking us to the chapter and part of the eCFR that you are referencing does help. The federal government owns the airspace in the same way that it owns the land your house is on. If they have to they can kick you out and you must follow that order, it is the same for the airspace above your house. That has no bearing on whether or not you can fly over other private property or what what altitude you are allowed to do so. Manned aircraft have to fly 500ft above any populated areas, which is where the 500ft rule comes from. There are no specific rules about how high UAS (unmanned aircraft systems) must fly over private property or if they can at all. If you believe there are please link me to them specifically.

However, there ARE rules about discharge of firearms in urban areas, and since we don't know where the OP is living or whether or not they are within city limits, we can only assume. Based on the video, I would say they are within city limits, which in that case it is very likely that the neighbors discharging their weapons is illegal and was not the correct way to deal with this problem. Yes it is dangerous to the OPs drone, but he is not legally wrong here until there are more clear laws put in place.

I know it's not completely relevant as these are two very different types of multirotors, but I think everyone should watch this. Also, the FAA has an altitude limit for all UAS of 400' Sooooo. 

ASU

Just now, Keudn said:

The federal government owns the airspace in the same way that it owns the land your house is on. If they have to they can kick you out and you must follow that order, it is the same for the airspace above your house

This is completely false. You have exclusive rights to land that you own and the United States government has waived all rights to that land except in very specific circumstances (eminent domain and/or marshall law). With airspace, the government owns all the airspace and you are given the right to use it only in very specific circumstances, for example you need a license to fly an aircraft, you have to register drones, and otherwise are allowed to use only "enough for reasonable enjoyment of property" (this may include low flying ballistic projectiles in all legal areas, and model rocketry outside of Class B airspace or with special permits).

Just now, Keudn said:

There are no specific rules about how high UAS (unmanned aircraft systems) must fly over private property or if they can at all. If you believe there are please link me to them specifically.

This is pretty much exactly what I'm trying to say by saying that there is no true airspace ownership in this country. I'm on OPs side.

Just now, Keudn said:

Just posting the FAA's eCFR does not mean anything. For example, here is the FAA's website https://www.faa.gov/. So what? Now linking us to the chapter and part of the eCFR that you are referencing does help.

Well, I don't feel liking searching the CFR right now even though I know it's in there, mostly because it's huge and I have better things to do than search a massive document that doesn't have a search function. So here's an excerpt from a publication called the "Marquette Law Review" that's all about the history of airspace rights in this country. Marquette Law Review: Ownership and Control of Airspace. This is, so far, the most applicable publication I have found concerning this subject, even though it is slightly old.

On 7/3/2016 at 6:07 PM, nskceaj said:

Man im glad i dont live in the US.

Must be nice to live in a civilized country run by grown adults instead of one run by banks.

On 7/3/2016 at 6:02 PM, Belgarathian said:

'MURICA.

Seriously though, you lot are mental. 

I was in your country a few years ago (I went to hike the Routeburn, visit Stewart Island, hike up Fox Glacier, and lots of other fun shit) and it felt so much more like a first world country than the US. I didn't see any homeless people, everyone seemed really friendly, and every Kiwi I talked to laughed and said no when I asked if they ever got tired of living in such an awesome place. Meanwhile a few months before I was tramping in Yosemite in California and at the end of the trip I looked like a homeless guy covered in dirt with a beard, big pack on my back, no real shower for a couple of weeks, and as I was sitting at the bus station in Merced to catch a bus to LA I had a car full of gangbangers drive by and try to start shit with me. America is such an angry place, I guess that's why Trump has such a following when he's there at the podium yelling and throwing a fit like Hitler in every speech. But in NZ people looked happy (even though you guys pay through the nose for food and gas lol).

We are having our problems, right now. Some things that our "mental society" has given the world: Computers, spaceflight, the internet, lots of medical and other scientific advancements (most 20th century such things), airplanes, lots of wealth, assembly lines, and the UN. It is a factual statement to say that the human race is as technologically advanced as it is because of the existence of, and opportunities found within, the United States.

You know, we aren't perfect, but which nation is? The real problem is that sometimes success fools smart people into thinking that they can never lose. I think this explains most of what's been going on here in the States. All nations, and indeed all people, go through ups and downs during their existence. 

Just now, Teddy07 said:

crazy country where everyone has a gun and shoots

Having a gun does not mean you are evil anymore than having a car means you are a race car driver. Have you ever shot a gun @Teddy07?

5 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

Having a gun does not mean you are evil anymore than having a car means you are a race car driver. Have you ever shot a gun @Teddy07?

Repeating NRA talking points doesnt make your argument more valid. The guy in the video was shooting at the drone. The bullet has to go down somewhere and could have hit other people...

No, because weapons are highly restricted in my country.

K, this topic is getting way off topic. The point was that OP's crazy ass neighbor risked the well being of innocent people and property. OP, you were also in the wrong for flying over someone else's property without permission. Regardless if it's illegal, it's not cool to do that especially with mystical drones that have been hyped by the media to steal your women and children, while filming you in an intimate act. It is also illegal for a UAS to exceed an altitude of 400' without a permit in the US, so that rule about public air space is very grey. 

Edited by colonel_mortis

ASU

Just now, Teddy07 said:

Repeating NRA talking points doesnt make your argument more valid.

One last off topic note: I own many firearms and I shoot atleast 500 rounds (of different calibers) a week. No living creature, animal or human, has been harmed in any way, with the following exceptions: My shoulder has been bruised from improperly shouldering a firearm, and one of my DA friends hurt his hearing by refusing to wear hearing protection. So go take your "holier than thou" attitude and shove it somewhere unpleasant for safekeeping. 

And for the record, I'm not a member of the NRA. I in no way support lobbying of any type and I wish that it could be illegal in all cases.

Just now, Teddy07 said:

The guy in the video was shooting at the drone. The bullet has to go down somewhere and could have hit other people...

That is correct. This one guy is a DA and obviously can't handle the responsibility that comes with owning a firearm. That doesn't give you the right to blanket all Americans as evil.

Just now, Teddy07 said:

No, because weapons are highly restricted in my country.

I'm sorry to hear that. When your country grows a set maybe you can learn something about how things work besides what your government would like you to believe.

You may have been above their airspace, but that does not mean that what you were doing isn't against the rules. Without their permission, you are not allowed to fly directly over the private property of others. It's not like this is a plane where a motor failure will still allow you to pilot it. If you lose a motor on a phantom, you are going down right there, which means that you could easily cause property damage. 

To be clear, I'm not advocating for the guys in your video, as they shouldn't have been shooting at you. So really, neither of you are in the right. As has been stated previously, RC, and especially multicopters have been getting a bad rap, mainly because of (I presume you are one) novices like yourself that have no regard for this hobby, or how you might be affecting others with your actions. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

1 hour ago, straight_stewie said:

That is correct. This one guy is a DA and obviously can't handle the responsibility that comes with owning a firearm. That doesn't give you the right to blanket all Americans as evil.

Yes you are right. My first statement above, where i made fun of US was very stupid. Sorry for that