Profanity Filter

Clanscorpia
Go to solution Solved by Clanscorpia,

Well, as usual, my ideas are deemed shit by the community :P

1 hour ago, Hard checker said:

Hey signed up for tomshardware 5months later wait I'm getting banned for cursing in a couple post so why did I have to say I'm 13 or older and I'm also getting close for asking a badly worded my friend got this laptop and the person forgot the password and I need a way to basically reset do you know a way. And fuck punctuation

Some forums have different requirements. Technically, we don't like swearing here either, and there was a time where swearing wasn't allowed at all, but over time we became more lenient because almost everyone on here does it, and it was becoming incredibly difficult dealing with it. That being said, excessive swearing is not allowed. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2016 at 4:57 AM, ShadowTechXTS said:

Well I joined when I was 12 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Because everyone is swearing in this thread, I'll just take the time to complain about the fucking terrible mobile quotes system, it took me like five minutes to be able to type this because it would make me type in the quote box.

That glitch thing happens to me too it's fuck in annoying

And hi-fi I'm 13 too

if (you want to reply) {

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON 

}

else {

DONT

}

Kids swear at young ages. Trust me having a profanity filter won't help. Because people will use stuff like duck instead of fuck and everybody will know exactly what that person meant with duck...

39 minutes ago, Xenofen said:

Kids swear at young ages. Trust me having a profanity filter won't help. Because will use stuff like duck instead of fuck and everybody will know exactly what that person meant with duck...

You could always bypass it with Cyrillic characters.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Spoiler

mods,i don't know if this is legally necroposting on LTTF,if so,please just feel free to PM me (or warn me or whatever).

honestly,i support this idea. excessively swearing just isn't very pretty.

sure,out of rage you can just say "fuck!" once in a while but when it gets to saying it at least twice in a ~five minute span,that's when it gets excessive.

On 7/4/2016 at 3:39 PM, Nineshadow said:

Back in '95-y2k , AOL prevented residents from Scunthorpe from creating an account because the profanity filter blocked the word "cunt". Some years later Google apparently made the same mistake, lol ( they wouldn't let people search for businesses from Scunthorpe)

That reminds me. In the fifth generation Pokémon games, due to the trading profanity filter, you could not trade Cofagrigus, Nosepass or Probopass without a nickname, because their names contain "fag" and "ass" respectively. This was fixed in generation VI, but yeah, profanity filters can have some pretty annoying side effects.

5 minutes ago, Daring said:

That reminds me. In the fifth generation Pokémon games, due to the trading profanity filter, you could not trade Cofagrigus, Nosepass or Probopass without a nickname, because their names contain "fag" and "ass" respectively. This was fixed in generation VI, but yeah, profanity filters can have some pretty annoying side effects.

I never knew that, that's hilarious.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

2 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

I never knew that, that's hilarious.

Yup xD In Game Freak's efforts to keep trades clean, they... ended up blocking un-nicknamed Pokémon as well, because their names contain banned words.

5 minutes ago, Daring said:

Yup xD In Game Freak's efforts to keep trades clean, they... ended up blocking un-nicknamed Pokémon as well, because their names contain banned words.

I don't know how that could've slipped past them :P 

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

I don't know how that could've slipped past them :P 

The same way how AOL and then Google censored Scunthorpe: oversights :D 

You just write the swear word in a notepad, print screen the word, cut and paste into paint, and hotlink the image where you want the profanity to display.

Then await the moderators going wtf.  Oh the fun back in XP days with that. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

4 hours ago, durpflip said:
  Hide contents

mods,i don't know if this is legally necroposting on LTTF,if so,please just feel free to PM me (or warn me or whatever).

honestly,i support this idea. excessively swearing just isn't very pretty.

sure,out of rage you can just say "fuck!" once in a while but when it gets to saying it at least twice in a ~five minute span,that's when it gets excessive.

You've not been around a real long time here, but even since march you should have been able to tell that we don't really have a swearing problem here.

Do some users use profanity more often than others? Sure, some do. But because some do, that doesn't mean the rest of the entire forum need to be disciplined for it by censorship. There are times when a 'fuck' or 'shit' are perfectly acceptable; regardless of situation.

that and there's 1000 ways to sunday to bypass a profanity filter. People will find a way around it the moment it gets implemented. Profanity filters rarely ever do any good.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

admin needs to close this thread......... talk about redundancy..............

17 minutes ago, LabRat said:

I don't think that that's a valid reason for locking a thread.

✨PC Specs✨

58 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Its good to keep it open. Rather than having someone post another next month. Besides, discussion here is good and constructive.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, Daring said:

I remember playing some online game in which you couldn't say "hello", because it had "hell" in it.

That's...really bad.

hello, it's me

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

On 03/07/2016 at 6:42 PM, Clanscorpia said:

I doubt people are going to purposely try to evade it

I think you fail to realize how moronic the average person on the internet is and how determined they can be to swear. 

That being said I feel this feature is entirely unnecessary. As the video states filtering at its best is ineffective at its worst its infuriating as innocent things are filtered out.  

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: ASUS RTX 2080TI | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

42 minutes ago, Marksman said:

Are you serious? it was literally the 1st damn reply in the thread.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: ASUS RTX 2080TI | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

17 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

Are you serious? it was literally the 1st damn reply in the thread.

And yet people are still going in circles, promoting the profanity filter idea; even though its been thoroughly shot down by both staff members, and regular uses alike in the thread.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

1 minute ago, Atmos said:

And yet people are still going in circles, promoting the profanity filter idea; even though its been thoroughly shot down by both staff members, and regular uses alike in the thread.

yeah but that requires going though the thread this is LITERALLY the 1st damn reply lol.

System Specs

4 hours ago, Marksman said:

Since you cearly didn't read the whole thread, do you have any other bright ideas we could discuss AGAIN? Btw, since this subforum doesn't count posts, I don't bother reporting you for spamming.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, Secondmineboy said:

Well Invision Power Board has a profanity filter built-in where you set words to be censored out :)

Filters are about as useful as an erection while giving a speech in Church.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.