Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clanscorpia

Profanity Filter

Well, as usual, my ideas are deemed shit by the community :P

1 hour ago, Hard checker said:

Hey signed up for tomshardware 5months later wait I'm getting banned for cursing in a couple post so why did I have to say I'm 13 or older and I'm also getting close for asking a badly worded my friend got this laptop and the person forgot the password and I need a way to basically reset do you know a way. And fuck punctuation

Some forums have different requirements. Technically, we don't like swearing here either, and there was a time where swearing wasn't allowed at all, but over time we became more lenient because almost everyone on here does it, and it was becoming incredibly difficult dealing with it. That being said, excessive swearing is not allowed. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

On 7/4/2016 at 4:57 AM, ShadowTechXTS said:

Well I joined when I was 12 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Because everyone is swearing in this thread, I'll just take the time to complain about the fucking terrible mobile quotes system, it took me like five minutes to be able to type this because it would make me type in the quote box.

That glitch thing happens to me too it's fuck in annoying

And hi-fi I'm 13 too

if (you want to reply) {

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON 

}

else {

DONT

}

Kids swear at young ages. Trust me having a profanity filter won't help. Because people will use stuff like duck instead of fuck and everybody will know exactly what that person meant with duck...

-----------Peasant Crushing Specs-----------

-CPU- i5 8600K @4.8GHz -Mobo- MSI Z370i Carbon AC -GPU- GTX 1080 Strix -RAM- 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB @3000MHz  -Storage-  Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 & Crucial MX500 1TB SSD -Case- NCase M1 -PSU- Corsair SF600

-Monitors- 3x Asus VN247H | 3x Vonhaus Monitor Brackets -Mouse- Logitech G900 -Keyboard- Vortex POK3R RGB -Headphones- ATH M40X & AKG K7XX

39 minutes ago, Xenofen said:

Kids swear at young ages. Trust me having a profanity filter won't help. Because will use stuff like duck instead of fuck and everybody will know exactly what that person meant with duck...

You could always bypass it with Cyrillic characters.

Volume / Normalized 100% / 89% (content loudness 1.0dB)

Spoiler

mods,i don't know if this is legally necroposting on LTTF,if so,please just feel free to PM me (or warn me or whatever).

honestly,i support this idea. excessively swearing just isn't very pretty.

sure,out of rage you can just say "fuck!" once in a while but when it gets to saying it at least twice in a ~five minute span,that's when it gets excessive.

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

You could always bypass it with Cyrillic characters.

Sure.

| Whoosh - The Airplane and Airline Thread |

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Tyler :x 52ever :x
Current Rig:
Spoiler

}} Titania  *December 22, 2017* {{

~Ryzen 7 1700 - Asus TUF B350 - Cryorig H7 - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB @ 2400MHz - XFX Double Dissipation RX 470 4GB - SanDisk SSDPlus 120GB - Toshiba 1TB HDD (2.5" 5400rpm) - Cooler Master Silencio 352 - LG DVD/CD Drive - EVGA SuperNova G2 550W - Windows 10 Education - Logitech G610 (MX Browns) - Logitech G603 - LG 24MP59HT-P~

Planned Upgrades:

Spoiler

}} R.U.D.I (Rebrand and Mild Refresh of Titania) *On-going 2019* {{

~Ryzen 7 1700 - Asus TUF B350 - Cryorig H7 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2933MHz - XFX Double Dissipation RX 470 4GB - Samsung 860 Evo 500GB - Seagate 2TB Barracuda HDD - Cooler Master Silencio 352 - LG DVD/CD Drive - EVGA SuperNova G2 550W - Windows 10 Education - Logitech G513 Carbon - Logitech G603~

On 7/4/2016 at 3:39 PM, Nineshadow said:

Back in '95-y2k , AOL prevented residents from Scunthorpe from creating an account because the profanity filter blocked the word "cunt". Some years later Google apparently made the same mistake, lol ( they wouldn't let people search for businesses from Scunthorpe)

That reminds me. In the fifth generation Pokémon games, due to the trading profanity filter, you could not trade Cofagrigus, Nosepass or Probopass without a nickname, because their names contain "fag" and "ass" respectively. This was fixed in generation VI, but yeah, profanity filters can have some pretty annoying side effects.

Officially LTT's 'coolest' member (yes, that's a pun)

The w is pronounced like v, if you're wondering!

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Spoiler

Current rig (Ninetales):

Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.7GHz, ASUS Strix GTX 1070 (8GB), 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, Windows 10 Pro x64

Laptop (Vulpix): 

Intel Core i7-7700HQ, GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB), 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2400, Windows 10 Pro x64
More detailed specs on my profile.

On 4/17/2017 at 5:36 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Rawr9 Furry Sex

5 minutes ago, Daring said:

That reminds me. In the fifth generation Pokémon games, due to the trading profanity filter, you could not trade Cofagrigus, Nosepass or Probopass without a nickname, because their names contain "fag" and "ass" respectively. This was fixed in generation VI, but yeah, profanity filters can have some pretty annoying side effects.

I never knew that, that's hilarious.

My build | Ryzen 5 1600 | Cryorig H7 | GTX 1080 | 16GB Team Dark | MSI B350 PC MATE | 1.5TB SSD/HDDs | EVGA GS 650 | Corsair 400C White |

Phone: Google Pixel XL | Android Pie (Pixel Dust - rooted with magisk) | Verizon

Proud owner of an Omnibot 2000 and 5402

@Vulrax❤️

2 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

I never knew that, that's hilarious.

Yup xD In Game Freak's efforts to keep trades clean, they... ended up blocking un-nicknamed Pokémon as well, because their names contain banned words.

Spoiler

Current rig (Ninetales):

Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.7GHz, ASUS Strix GTX 1070 (8GB), 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, Windows 10 Pro x64

Laptop (Vulpix): 

Intel Core i7-7700HQ, GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB), 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2400, Windows 10 Pro x64

Rawr9 Furry Sex

5 minutes ago, Daring said:

Yup xD In Game Freak's efforts to keep trades clean, they... ended up blocking un-nicknamed Pokémon as well, because their names contain banned words.

I don't know how that could've slipped past them :P 

My build | Ryzen 5 1600 | Cryorig H7 | GTX 1080 | 16GB Team Dark | MSI B350 PC MATE | 1.5TB SSD/HDDs | EVGA GS 650 | Corsair 400C White |

Phone: Google Pixel XL | Android Pie (Pixel Dust - rooted with magisk) | Verizon

@Vulrax❤️

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

I don't know how that could've slipped past them :P 

The same way how AOL and then Google censored Scunthorpe: oversights :D 

Spoiler

Current rig (Ninetales):

Laptop (Vulpix): 

Rawr9 Furry Sex

You just write the swear word in a notepad, print screen the word, cut and paste into paint, and hotlink the image where you want the profanity to display.

Then await the moderators going wtf.  Oh the fun back in XP days with that. 

PC - NZXT 340 Black, Intel i7 6900k, Artic Alpine 11 Pro Cooler, 16GB Corsair DDR 4 2133mhz, Asus H170 Pro Gaming , Gigabyte 1080 OC Windforce, Samsung 250GB EVO, 1TB WD Black.

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

4 hours ago, durpflip said:
  Hide contents

mods,i don't know if this is legally necroposting on LTTF,if so,please just feel free to PM me (or warn me or whatever).

honestly,i support this idea. excessively swearing just isn't very pretty.

sure,out of rage you can just say "fuck!" once in a while but when it gets to saying it at least twice in a ~five minute span,that's when it gets excessive.

You've not been around a real long time here, but even since march you should have been able to tell that we don't really have a swearing problem here.

Do some users use profanity more often than others? Sure, some do. But because some do, that doesn't mean the rest of the entire forum need to be disciplined for it by censorship. There are times when a 'fuck' or 'shit' are perfectly acceptable; regardless of situation.

that and there's 1000 ways to sunday to bypass a profanity filter. People will find a way around it the moment it gets implemented. Profanity filters rarely ever do any good.

Updated Build 2019 | 4790K @4.7ghz | EVGA FTW 1080 | 16gb 1866mhz DDR3 Corsair Vengance | Asus z97a | Case: be Quite Base 800 | Acer k272hul | Sennheiser 558 + MXL 770 + Soundblaster K3+

17 minutes ago, LabRat said:

admin needs to close this thread......... talk about redundancy..............

I don't think that that's a valid reason for locking a thread.

@Vulrax❤️

58 minutes ago, LabRat said:

admin needs to close this thread......... talk about redundancy..............

Its good to keep it open. Rather than having someone post another next month. Besides, discussion here is good and constructive.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, Daring said:

I remember playing some online game in which you couldn't say "hello", because it had "hell" in it.

That's...really bad.

hello, it's me

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

On 03/07/2016 at 6:42 PM, Clanscorpia said:

I doubt people are going to purposely try to evade it

I think you fail to realize how moronic the average person on the internet is and how determined they can be to swear. 

That being said I feel this feature is entirely unnecessary. As the video states filtering at its best is ineffective at its worst its infuriating as innocent things are filtered out.  

System Specs

CPU: Core i7 4770k @4.2ghz | Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UDH5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1333 16gb | GPU: ASUS RTX 2080TI | Storage: Samsung 840 Evo, WD Blk 1TB/Blk 500gb /Grn 2tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: Corsair H100i w/NF-F12 LTT Edition Displays: 55" Samsung TV, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G700s | Case: NZXT H440 Matte Black | Extra: NZXT Hue+ Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5, Nvidia 3d Vision 2, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

42 minutes ago, Marksman said:

Are you serious? it was literally the 1st damn reply in the thread.

System Specs

CPU: Core i7 4770k @4.2ghz | Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UDH5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1333 16gb | GPU: ASUS RTX 2080TI | Storage: Samsung 840 Evo, WD Blk 1TB/Blk 500gb /Grn 2tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: Corsair H100i w/NF-F12 LTT Edition Displays: 55" Samsung TV, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G700s | Case: NZXT H440 Matte Black | Extra: NZXT Hue+ Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5, Nvidia 3d Vision 2, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

17 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

Are you serious? it was literally the 1st damn reply in the thread.

And yet people are still going in circles, promoting the profanity filter idea; even though its been thoroughly shot down by both staff members, and regular uses alike in the thread.

Updated Build 2019 | 4790K @4.7ghz | EVGA FTW 1080 | 16gb 1866mhz DDR3 Corsair Vengance | Asus z97a | Case: be Quite Base 800 | Acer k272hul | Sennheiser 558 + MXL 770 + Soundblaster K3+

1 minute ago, Atmos said:

And yet people are still going in circles, promoting the profanity filter idea; even though its been thoroughly shot down by both staff members, and regular uses alike in the thread.

yeah but that requires going though the thread this is LITERALLY the 1st damn reply lol.

System Specs

4 hours ago, Marksman said:

Since you cearly didn't read the whole thread, do you have any other bright ideas we could discuss AGAIN? Btw, since this subforum doesn't count posts, I don't bother reporting you for spamming.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv