What are some other competitive games that reward players for their personal skill?

Webkitnote

I'm going to say Overwatch and Rocket League (that's what I've got personal experience with). While both are team based, they both rely on individual skill as well. Unless you play on the highest level possible in both games, I'd value personal skills close or maybe even equally to team play.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I know:

Overwatch, your character doesn't get better.

CS:GO, you don't have a character you can chose from. It's all skill based.

DotA2, never played but heard it was.

Rocket League, you can't really customize your car except for miscellaneous ones which don't add any "extra" powers/advantages.

• 3 months later...

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare has sick gameplay, and a high skill-ceiling.  It is a first person melee slasher.  It features real time swing manipulation.  Meaning that you can control the pace and the course (to some extent) of the swing with the mouse.  It is one of a kind, and has revolutionised and advanced melee combat.  Great game for a LAN party, too.  It often goes on sale for a few bucks.

There is also new game in development called Mordhau, similar in it's nature to Chivalry.  You can check out the Kickstarter here: 

If you really want a game that rewards you for skill, play Quake 3. I got that game back when it first came out and I still play it. Not only is it addictive and amazing fun, but it's easy to pick up and hard to master. You basically have to take adderall and be the twitchiest, fastest tryhard ever to be semi-competitive. You literally have to spend hours and hours learning all the drop spawns, practice aiming with the railgun, and getting good with the rocket launcher. And once you get good, there's no more satisfying feeling than hopping into a public server and crushing everyone by a 10 or more point lead.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540