I'm Replacing my old mouse. Should I get a Zowie FK1 or DA Chroma?

Go to solution Solved by Wurtze,

Zowie FK1 specifications:

DPI: 400/800/1600/3200

USB: 2.0/3.0 Plug & Play

Buttons: 5 buttons

Cable length: 2m/6.6ft

LOD (Lift-off distance): 1.5-1.8mm

Polling rate: 125/500/1000hz

Razer DeathAdder Chroma specifications:

Design: Ergonomic right-handed design with textured rubber side grips

DPI: 10,000dpi optical sensor

Lighting/Customization: Chroma lighting with 16.8 million customizable color options

Compatible Software: Razer Synapse enabled

Programmability: Five independently programmable Hyperesponse buttons

Polling: 1000Hz Ultrapolling (Not sure what the different between regular polling and "ultrapolling" is, if there is one.)

Additional: On-the-fly sensitivity adjustment

Additional: Always-on mode 

Acceleration: Up to 300 inches per second*/50g acceleration (*tested on Razer Goliathus Control Edition - Soft Gaming Mouse Mat)

Additional: Gold-plated USB connector

Cable: Seven-foot, lightweight, braided fiber cable

Approximate size specifications: 127mm/5" (Length) x 70mm/2.76" (Width) x 44mm/1.73" (Height)

Approximate weight: 105g/0.23lbs

System requirements to Razer DeathAdder Chroma:

PC or Mac with a free USB port

Windows 10/Windows 8/Windows 7/Mac OS X (v10.8-10.11)

Internet connection

There are a few things that I am unsure of myself in regards to the Razer. First, why does the Razer DeathAdder Chroma advertise mouse acceleration? Isn't this something that gamers would dislike? Furthermore, I am not exactly sure what "ultrapolling" means other than the fact that the mouse has an "ultra" high polling rate. It does not mention variability in the polling rates. The Razer does, however, indicate a 10,000dpi optical sensor, which means that it could potentially have a DPI range up to 10,000. Moreover, I'm not sure what "Always-on" mode is.

The Zowie FK1 does specify a variability in the DPI (400, 800, 1600, 3200) and the polling rate (125, 500, 1000Hz). From what I understand, gaming mouses generally tend to have a LOD of under 1.5. However the Zowie FK1 indicates that it could be potentially up to 1.8. This is important because if you are moving your mouse across the mousepad at a high velocity, especially in competitive games, it could potentially lift off of the mousepad at a height greater than the LOD (lift-off distance) and therefore stop tracking. 

Aside from the fact that many people also recommend the Zowie FK1, it also utilizes the Avago 3310 sensor, which is highly rated, whilst the the Chroma comes with the Avago ADNS s3988 sensor, which is also very highly rated. The Avago ADNS s3988 of the DeathAdder Chroma is superior performance-wise. However, I would have to recommend the Zowie FK1. Many people complain that the ergonomics of the DeathAdder Chroma is not comfortable and that, realistically, you will not notice a significant difference between the Avago 3310 and the Avago ADNS s3988 sensors. 

BOmZ9oF.png

This is a chart comparing the ADNS-3988 sensor (Avago ADNS s3988, DeathAdder Chroma) and the PMW3310DH (Avago 3310, Zowie FK1). It essentially reaffirms what I stated above.

Should I get the Zowie FK1 or Deathadder Chroma?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Zowie FK1 or Deathadder Chroma?

• Zowie FK1
    • Deathadder Chroma

Hello guys. My old mouse is the Razer Naga Molten 3.5G and I'm looking to replace it because of it being old and feeling fragile due to me dropping it a few times. Another factor is that I play more FPS now. After researching about the countless mouses out there, I have narrowed by options to these 2 mice. I have came across other mice such as the SS Rival 300 and Logitech G502. Yes, I have tried the SS Rival 300 and the Logitech G502 and I dislike the SS Rival due to the shape and comfort. I dislike the G502 because of it's shape, comfort and weight. From my 2 options above (FK1 and DA), I have tried the Deathadder and I do enjoy using it, but I have not tried the Zowie FK1. Many of my friends recommended  the Zowie FK1, but I've seen alot of complaints such as input lag, an "iffy" scroll wheel and hard to press buttons (including the left and right click). The dilemma here is that on the other hand, I've also seen a video by Reckless Yuki where the Zowie FK1 has less input lag than the DA Chroma by around 1ms. I've also heard people say that the sensor on the FK1 is better than the sensor on the DA, which has really got me confused right now. As for my grip, I claw grip. My settings are 800 DPI, 1000Hz polling rate and I mainly play CS:GO. My hand size is 19cm by 9cm. Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

--Kraze

If you can go in to a shop, like maplin UK, and see what they feel like in your hand. As every one had a different like in mouses. I prefer the non-gamer aimed mouses that you can buy for £3,50 and i feels comfortable in my hand where as my mate hates them and has to have the razor one's etc. Remember too that most shops have a two day period when you can take stuff back if you have changed your mind. My advice if you cant test one, buy one use it for a day and then take it back if you don't like it. I know that was probably not much help,

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

a Zowie FK-1 is much better for FPS gaming with a better sensor

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

5 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

If you can go in to a shop, like maplin UK, and see what they feel like in your hand. As every one had a different like in mouses. I prefer the non-gamer aimed mouses that you can buy for £3,50 and i feels comfortable in my hand where as my mate hates them and has to have the razor one's etc. Remember too that most shops have a two day period when you can take stuff back if you have changed your mind. My advice if you cant test one, buy one use it for a day and then take it back if you don't like it. I know that was probably not much help,

Its hard to find Zowie mice here in Indonesia and most shops (if not all) also don't have a 2 day period / return policy as well. Rarely are there any shops here in Jakarta, Indonesia where I can return an item I have purchased. Most of them do not have the mice on display either for me to try, unless its a convention in which they only happen once a year. Which is why I have to be extra sure before purchasing the mouse. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Kraze said:

Its hard to find Zowie mice here in Indonesia and most shops (if not all) also don't have a 2 day period / return policy as well. Rarely are there any shops here in Jakarta, Indonesia where I can return an item I have purchased. Most of them do not have the mice on display either for me to try, unless its a convention in which they only happen once a year. Which is why I have to be extra sure before purchasing the mouse. :ph34r:

Ah, fair enough,sorry I didn't know that.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

11 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

Ah, fair enough,sorry I didn't know that.

No Worries :P

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/nixeus-revel-optical-gaming-mouse-pmw3360?mode=guest_open

I recommend the Nixeus Revel. 

It's lighter (85g) than the FK1(90g) or Deathadder (100+ g). 

It has the 3360, so better sensor than the 3310 in the FK1 and the 3989 in the Deathadder (can't say about the implementation, Nixeus is a new player in the mice market). Up to 7 metres per second malfunction speed if it is implemented properly. 

It has a rather generic ODM "safe" shape. 

You have a choice between glossy white or rubber coated black. 

It uses a rubber cable instead of a braided one, so you can make use of that light mass.

Peter, the rep for Nixeus, has stated he personally hand shook every engineering sample for any lens, sensor or scroll wheel rattle. 

Lighting/Customization: Chroma lighting with 16.8 million customizable color options

Polling: 1000Hz Ultrapolling (Not sure what the different between regular polling and "ultrapolling" is, if there is one.)

Acceleration: Up to 300 inches per second*/50g acceleration (*tested on Razer Goliathus Control Edition - Soft Gaming Mouse Mat)

Approximate size specifications: 127mm/5" (Length) x 70mm/2.76" (Width) x 44mm/1.73" (Height)

Internet connection

There are a few things that I am unsure of myself in regards to the Razer. First, why does the Razer DeathAdder Chroma advertise mouse acceleration? Isn't this something that gamers would dislike? Furthermore, I am not exactly sure what "ultrapolling" means other than the fact that the mouse has an "ultra" high polling rate. It does not mention variability in the polling rates. The Razer does, however, indicate a 10,000dpi optical sensor, which means that it could potentially have a DPI range up to 10,000. Moreover, I'm not sure what "Always-on" mode is.

The Zowie FK1 does specify a variability in the DPI (400, 800, 1600, 3200) and the polling rate (125, 500, 1000Hz). From what I understand, gaming mouses generally tend to have a LOD of under 1.5. However the Zowie FK1 indicates that it could be potentially up to 1.8. This is important because if you are moving your mouse across the mousepad at a high velocity, especially in competitive games, it could potentially lift off of the mousepad at a height greater than the LOD (lift-off distance) and therefore stop tracking. 

Aside from the fact that many people also recommend the Zowie FK1, it also utilizes the Avago 3310 sensor, which is highly rated, whilst the the Chroma comes with the Avago ADNS s3988 sensor, which is also very highly rated. The Avago ADNS s3988 of the DeathAdder Chroma is superior performance-wise. However, I would have to recommend the Zowie FK1. Many people complain that the ergonomics of the DeathAdder Chroma is not comfortable and that, realistically, you will not notice a significant difference between the Avago 3310 and the Avago ADNS s3988 sensors. 

BOmZ9oF.png

This is a chart comparing the ADNS-3988 sensor (Avago ADNS s3988, DeathAdder Chroma) and the PMW3310DH (Avago 3310, Zowie FK1). It essentially reaffirms what I stated above.

1 hour ago, Wurtze said:

Internet connection

BOmZ9oF.png

Thanks for the information, it really helps me out. Have you heard anything about button input lag on the Zowie FK1? I've heard from multiple accounts that it has a delay from when you click the button to when it registers as a click on the computer system. Also another thing is, will the Zowie FK1 run fine on 1000hz polling rate? I've also heard that it tends to jitter. Does this have to do with the sensor? Thanks.

Just now, Wurtze said:

However, I would have to recommend the Zowie FK1. Many people complain that the ergonomics of the DeathAdder Chroma is not comfortable and that, realistically, you will not notice a significant difference between the Avago 3310 and the Avago ADNS s3988 sensors. 

Actually the difference between the DA and the Zowie´s is obv., which is down to MCU and Firmware, also you should know what g means in regards to acceleration. ;)

Just now, Kraze said:

Thanks for the information, it really helps me out. Have you heard anything about button input lag on the Zowie FK1? I've heard from multiple accounts that it has a delay from when you click the button to when it registers as a click on the computer system. Also another thing is, will the Zowie FK1 run fine on 1000hz polling rate? I've also heard that it tends to jitter. Does this have to do with the sensor? Thanks.

The debounce time has been reduced a while ago, to nothing good, but also nothing bad. And no, enCoRe III isnt running well with 1000hz. Jitter can be caused not only by the sensor but also by the Firmware.

But the more important question is what kind of mouse you want, the FK1 and the DA are different in regards to grip styles, there are alternatives to both.

11 hours ago, woll3 said:

Actually the difference between the DA and the Zowie´s is obv., which is down to MCU and Firmware, also you should know what g means in regards to acceleration. ;)

What does g mean in regards to acceleration? 

11 hours ago, woll3 said:

But the more important question is what kind of mouse you want, the FK1 and the DA are different in regards to grip styles, there are alternatives to both.

Well I use the claw grip, I play on 800 DPI and a 1000Hz polling rate, and from the looks of it, the Deathadder Chroma would suit me better. As for alternatives, the only other mouse that ever got as close to these 2 (FK1 and DA Chroma) besides the SS Rival 300 and the Logitech G502 was the Final Mouse Tournament Pro, but I'm afraid it may be too light for my liking and I've heard that it feels somewhat fragile due to how light it is. What would be some other alternatives?

Edit:

I've been looking into the SS Rival 300 again and from the looks of it, it may replace the Zowie as a candidate or even potentially be the winner due to the shape. I think I'll try my friend's SS Rival 300 again because last time if I remember I didn't seem to enjoy holding it (But then again that was only around 2 minutes). As for specs wise, the SS Rival 300 seems to have the same sensor as the Zowie FK1 so I'm guessing it may run well on 1000Hz? By the way, what is enCoRe III?

Edited by Kraze

Just now, Kraze said:

What does g mean in regards to acceleration? 

It´s g-force.

Just now, Kraze said:

Edit:

I've been looking into the SS Rival 300 again and from the looks of it, it may replace the Zowie as a candidate or even potentially be the winner due to the shape. I think I'll try my friend's SS Rival 300 again because last time if I remember I didn't seem to enjoy holding it (But then again that was only around 2 minutes). As for specs wise, the SS Rival 300 seems to have the same sensor as the Zowie FK1 so I'm guessing it may run well on 1000Hz? By the way, what is enCoRe III?

If you like 3.0like shapes then you can also take a look at the CM Storm Alcor, or wait t and see how the Ventus X Optical turns out.

The Rival 300´s implementation isnt particularly good either, but at least you good a little bit more than the Zowie´s Hardwarewise, it also runs a bit better on 1000hz but i would still rather recommend 500 with it.

enCoRe III is the MCU line that is used in the Zowie´s, specifically CY7C64215, which is over 10 years old and has been used in the Deathadder 3G and DA 3.5G, which is no surprise because the Zowie´s are designed and produced by the same people as the early DA 3G.

33 minutes ago, woll3 said:

It´s g-force.

If you like 3.0like shapes then you can also take a look at the CM Storm Alcor, or wait t and see how the Ventus X Optical turns out.

The Rival 300´s implementation isnt particularly good either, but at least you good a little bit more than the Zowie´s Hardwarewise, it also runs a bit better on 1000hz but i would still rather recommend 500 with it.

enCoRe III is the MCU line that is used in the Zowie´s, specifically CY7C64215, which is over 10 years old and has been used in the Deathadder 3G and DA 3.5G, which is no surprise because the Zowie´s are designed and produced by the same people as the early DA 3G.

So if that means the SS Rival 300 beats the Zowie FK1 a bit based on it's hardware. So if I were to choose between a SS Rival 300 and DA Chroma, which one would you recommend hardware-wise? It's hard for me to get the other mice you suggested since they are very very uncommon here in Indonesia and shipping can be quite the hassle.

On 7/3/2016 at 0:56 PM, Kraze said:

I am aware of the button input lag on the Zowie FK1. However, there is evidence that this has been corrected with the newer 2015 models of the mouse. If you were to check this, you would simply look at the serial number on the mouse (might be on the bottom). You will see a series of numbers, and if you see "14" it is from the year 2014 and if you see "15" it will be from the year 2015. Models from 2014 have the latency issue whilst models from 2015 tend not to. 

Here is a video documenting a latency test between the Zowie FK1 2014 and 2015 models: 

As for your second question, I don't see any reason why the Zowie FK1 would have any issues running on a 1000Hz polling rate as that is a rate supported by the mouse, as per the system requirements page. It may tend to jitter on certain trackpads. As far as I am aware, there are no issues with the Avago 3310 sensor in regards to jittering. 

I have the SS 300.  I've only had it for a few days while playing Overwatch but I really like it.  I prefer the large shape.

I do wish a couple of things, a bigger DPI button and a visual indicator of the DPI mode.

But it's been great and the shape is fine for several hour sessions.  I picked it up at BestBuy (US) on sale for 39.99.

Haven't played with the software much or polling rate etc...