My First PC Build for 1080p Gaming and Editing!

Hey Guys!

Just wondering if all these parts are compatible and a wise selection for gaming and editing!

https://www.pccasegear.com/sc/nxv - this is my PC Parts Cart! (bear in mind these are Australian prices!)

There are a couple of additional questions in red that i highlighted and would greatly appreciate any input! 

SSD: 109 

HDD: 99

Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001

CPU: 499

CPU COOLER: 105 (reliability worth the risk compared to a regular fan cooler? i will be overclocking at some point but is the additional money for a water cooler worth it?)

GPU: 479 (Should i Upgrade to a GTX 980 For an additional $200?)

RAM: 119

MOBO: 215 (is the small form factor an issue?)

POWER SUP: 79 

CASE: 85

ADDITIONAL FAN: 35 (Is it nessasarry to have this additional fan just in case... no pun intended...?)

THERMAL COMPOUND: 11 (is the pre-applied thermal compound on the AIO cooling system good enough to not purchase this?)

TOTAL COST: $1835 AUD 

To sum up everything i guess my main concerns are the compatibility of all the parts,

whether the system will run cool enough, how well it will perform for 1080p gaming (preferably high frames [around 60fps] and quality for 1080p)

Thanks very much LTT community for reading it!

All feed back is welcome!

Cheers

Felix

13 minutes ago, Felix Maguire said:

Hey Guys!

Just wondering if all these parts are compatible and a wise selection for gaming and editing!

https://www.pccasegear.com/sc/nxv - this is my PC Parts Cart! (bear in mind these are Australian prices!)

There are a couple of additional questions in red that i highlighted and would greatly appreciate any input! 

SSD: 109 

HDD: 99

Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001

CPU: 499

CPU COOLER: 105 (reliability worth the risk compared to a regular fan cooler? i will be overclocking at some point but is the additional money for a water cooler worth it?)

GPU: 479 (Should i Upgrade to a GTX 980 For an additional $200?)

RAM: 119

POWER SUP: 79 

CASE: 85

ADDITIONAL FAN: 35 (Is it nessasarry to have this additional fan just in case... no pun intended...?)

THERMAL COMPOUND: 11 (is the pre-applied thermal compound on the AIO cooling system good enough to not purchase this?)

TOTAL COST: $1835 AUD 

To sum up everything i guess my main concerns are the compatibility of all the parts,

whether the system will run cool enough, how well it will perform for 1080p gaming (preferably high frames [around 60fps] and quality for 1080p)

Thanks very much LTT community for reading it!

All feed back is welcome!

Cheers

Felix

A GTX 970 now is not worth the price. Get an RX 480 or if you want an Nvidia card wait for the GTX 1060 which is coming out soon.

Here's my critiques:

-First thing I noticed is that you're putting a Mini-ITX motherboard in a ATX case. You're simply restricting the amount of features you can have (for instance, only two RAM slots). It'll also look quite out of place.

-Not worth getting the GTX 970 now at that price when you can get a RX 480 for much cheaper. Wait for the aftermarket/custom coolers to come out.

-Rare for a AIO to leak but the price/performance is terrible on 120mm AIOs. I'd advise pushing that up to at least a 240mm radiator.

-I'd go for the more durable 850 EVO over the 750 EVO and up that power supply to one of better quality.

So overall, you should be looking at something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($499.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($165.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($239.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($105.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($125.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB XXX OC  Video Card  ($379.00 @ PCCaseGear) - WAIT FOR CUSTOM COOLERS (Sapphire Nitro should be excellent).
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($115.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Total: $1855.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-03 12:27 AEST+1000

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

14 minutes ago, Felix Maguire said:

I have used aio coolers, and as for reliability they are fine, If you plan to overclock it is defiantly worth it...

15 minutes ago, Felix Maguire said:

GPU: 479 (Should i Upgrade to a GTX 980 For an additional $200?

If you can afford it hell yea! the 980 would defiantly give you a significant boost in all games and add to the future-proofness of the build... However If you can get a 1070 or one of the new cards that came out this year as those would defiantly be better (A 1070 wins out against a 980 btw)

4 minutes ago, AssassinUni said:

Probably not... I never hurts to add more fans ofc but generally you wont need it...

5 minutes ago, AssassinUni said:

The compound that comes with the aio should be fine, I have personally bought artic and used the stuff that comes with a aio and haven't noticed any significant difference... But if you want to spend an extra $7 or whatever it costs then by all means as custom stuff supposedly does have better quality...

6 minutes ago, AssassinUni said:

I'm not sure if you would be able to get a full sized graphics card onto that PCI-E slot... Generally I would suggest trying to get a ATX  sized mobo if you can...

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

This is what I would get, Then save up for a beefy 240/280 Rad for a AIO Cooler.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($579.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler  ($55.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($379.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB Black Edition Video Card  ($379.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.00)
Total: $1887.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-03 12:38 AEST+1000

Also, Here is the link for the PSU, don't know why it didn't show up in PC part Picker..

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/33274/coolermaster-g750m-750w-modular-bronze-power-supply

This gets you on the X99 chip set, for about the same price.

My new Gaming PC.

Spoiler

Case: Coolmaster CM690III, Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR, CPU: I5 6600K 4.6Ghz, OS: Windows 10 HP 64 bit, RAM: X1 8GB G.Skill DDR4, GPU: Galax GTX 960 (Overclocked), Storage: Kingston V300 SSD 120GB(OS), X2 1TB 5400RPM HDD, 500GB Samsung 7200RPM HD, PSU: Cougar RS 750 Watt, Peripherals: Logitech G910 Orion Spark,  World Of Tanks Edition 2014 DeathAdder Razer Mouse And Mouse Pad, Sennheiser HD 518. , Palsonic tftv6042fHD, Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

6 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

Here's my critiques:

-First thing I noticed is that you're putting a Mini-ITX motherboard in a ATX case. You're simply restricting the amount of features you can have (for instance, only two RAM slots). It'll also look quite out of place.

-Not worth getting the GTX 970 now at that price when you can get a RX 480 for much cheaper. Wait for the aftermarket/custom coolers to come out.

-Rare for a AIO to leak but the price/performance is terrible on 120mm AIOs. I'd advise pushing that up to at least a 240mm radiator.

-I'd go for the more durable 850 EVO over the 750 EVO and up that power supply to one of better quality.

So overall, you should be looking at something like this:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($499.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($165.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($239.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($105.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($125.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB XXX OC  Video Card  ($379.00 @ PCCaseGear) - WAIT FOR CUSTOM COOLERS (Sapphire Nitro should be excellent).
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($115.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Total: $1855.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-03 12:27 AEST+1000

Hey Man thanks heeps for the fast reply!

I have had a look at your input and tried to fit it with my budget etc

Totally agree with your input regarding the form factor of the mother board, etc

I had a look at the MOBO you recommended and i tried to find a cheaper one with similar features (without SLI) because I dont think i will SLI in the near future.

and for now i think i will just go for a Fan CPU cooler until i am a little more confident in the instillation of PC parts.

I have changed a few things around now and would greatly appreciate it if you gave it another quick once over!

I would say that i would prefer to stick with an NVIDIA GPU just because it is what i am familiar with.

This is my Cart : https://www.pccasegear.com/sc/Rk

I am really considering a GTX 980 ( https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35796/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-980-oc-4gb ) 

As i am not sure how quickly the GTX 1060s will be available with the 3rd party coolers and i assume they will cost more than the GTX 980s ! .

Thanks again for your help i really appreciate it!

24 minutes ago, Felix Maguire said:

-snip-

I'd be changing the motherboard. For Intel, in order for K-series CPUs to have the ability to overclock, you must pair it with Z-series chipset motherboard. In your case, a Z170 motherboard. That B150 will not be able to overclock the i7 6700K.

Although I understand your desire to stick with NVIDIA, there's zero reason to go for the more expensive GTX 970 with less video memory (4GB vs 8GB). I'd advise waiting for the aftermarket models of the RX 480 or the GTX 1060. If pricing is anything like the RX 480, the GTX 1060 should cost well beneath a GTX 980. Let's see.

As for if you should get a GTX 980 or not, I say don't. The price to performance is pretty bad and it's always worth waiting for the next-gen cards first.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

6 hours ago, Inrix said:

I have used aio coolers, and as for reliability they are fine, If you plan to overclock it is defiantly worth it...

If you can afford it hell yea! the 980 would defiantly give you a significant boost in all games and add to the future-proofness of the build... However If you can get a 1070 or one of the new cards that came out this year as those would defiantly be better (A 1070 wins out against a 980 btw)

Probably not... I never hurts to add more fans ofc but generally you wont need it...

The compound that comes with the aio should be fine, I have personally bought artic and used the stuff that comes with a aio and haven't noticed any significant difference... But if you want to spend an extra $7 or whatever it costs then by all means as custom stuff supposedly does have better quality...

I'm not sure if you would be able to get a full sized graphics card onto that PCI-E slot... Generally I would suggest trying to get a ATX  sized mobo if you can...

Hey Man 

Thanks heeps for the feed back!

I have had a bit of a rethink and change of parts with your advice in mind!

How do you think this looks : https://www.pccasegear.com/sc/Rk

With a GTX 980 : Either

$599: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35796/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-980-oc-4gb

$649: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/29142/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-980-g1-gaming-4gb

$659: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35252/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-980-xtreme-gaming-4gb

They have relatively similar clock speeds and im honestly not sure which card to select?

Thanks again realy appreciate the help!

4 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

I'd be changing the motherboard. For Intel, in order for K-series CPUs to have the ability to overclock, you must pair it with Z-series chipset motherboard. In your case, a Z170 motherboard. That B150 will not be able to overclock the i7 6700K.

Although I understand your desire to stick with NVIDIA, there's zero reason to go for the more expensive GTX 970 with less video memory (4GB vs 8GB). I'd advise waiting for the aftermarket models of the RX 480 or the GTX 1060. If pricing is anything like the RX 480, the GTX 1060 should cost well beneath a GTX 980. Let's see.

As for if you should get a GTX 980 or not, I say don't. The price to performance is pretty bad and it's always worth waiting for the next-gen cards first.

ohhh i see! Well ill definitely have to go for a z-series Chipset then thanks heeps for pointing that out, and yeah it does seem that i should wait to get a 1060 now, as they are cheaper than the gtx 980s. 

thanks once again!

1 hour ago, Felix Maguire said:

ohhh i see! Well ill definitely have to go for a z-series Chipset then thanks heeps for pointing that out, and yeah it does seem that i should wait to get a 1060 now, as they are cheaper than the gtx 980s. 

thanks once again!

If your willing to wait then defiantly do and go with a 1070/1060... Otherwise in relation to those 980ti's... You might see a bit of a performance boost between them but it would probably be at most 20fps, So I would say just pick the one that fits your budget the best. Also a thing to note is that the  1070 is basically on par with a 980ti in terms of performance so if you can get that I would totally suggest going for it.

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

17 minutes ago, Inrix said:

If your willing to wait then defiantly do and go with a 1070/1060... Otherwise in relation to those 980ti's... You might see a bit of a performance boost between them but it would probably be at most 20fps, So I would say just pick the one that fits your budget the best. Also a thing to note is that the  1070 is basically on par with a 980ti in terms of performance so if you can get that I would totally suggest going for it.

I agree i think i will try and wait to save a bit of money, hopefully it wont be too long until they are released!

Do you have any idea how long until they will be released? I heard it was sometime this month somewhere...

Thanks Again

27 minutes ago, Felix Maguire said:

I agree i think i will try and wait to save a bit of money, hopefully it wont be too long until they are released!

Do you have any idea how long until they will be released? I heard it was sometime this month somewhere...

Thanks Again

For the 1070, it has already been released. For the 1060, it has been rumoured to be released on 7 July.