Forum telling me I have a notification when I do not

thekeemo

Browser: Opera 38.0.2220.31

it says I have one notification in the menu when I dont

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Was it showing up immediately when the page loaded, or did it show up afterwards?

HTTP/2 203

2 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Was it showing up immediately when the page loaded, or did it show up afterwards?

both

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

12 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

both

how "both"??

it either showed up immediately or after, it cant show up twice unless it went away at some point in between and then magically reappeared

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

how "both"??

it either showed up before or after, it cant show up twice unless it went away at some point in between and then magically reappeared

I mean it is not consistent

sometimes it says I have one as as soon as I load the page

sometimes it says I have one after I switch to the tab

1 minute ago, thekeemo said:

So this is a regular issue then? Or it's just being really inconsistent over the past few minutes?

HTTP/2 203

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

So this is a regular issue then? Or it's just being really inconsistent over the past few minutes?

consistently inconsistent

as in it happens all the time

but it is inconsistent in whether it does it as as soon as I load the page or after I load it for a while

1 minute ago, thekeemo said:

consistently inconsistent

as in it happens all the time

but it is inconsistent in whether it does it as as soon as I load the page or after I load it for a while

And when was the last time it happened? I have an idea for what could be causing it, but I couldn't find anything to support it when I looked around the time that you originally reported this.

HTTP/2 203

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

And when was the last time it happened? I have an idea for what could be causing it, but I couldn't find anything to support it when I looked around the time that you originally reported this.

Now..

first time when I setup opera 5-6 hours ago on my new old machine

i get some weird pointless notifications as well when i'm on another tab ,but that's some doesn't happen much
like that time when i left one page of a topic open and was on another tab then i got a notification of a reply on that topic that i had seen before at an instant when the reply was originally made

Edited by EvilNeo

9 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

have you tried the "mark site as read" button?

maybe if you mark everything as read then it wont have trouble deciding :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

have you tried the "mark site as read" button?

maybe if you mark everything as read then it wont have trouble deciding :)

May as well..

edit: no

16 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

May as well..

edit: no

Does that mean you're still getting it? How many notifications does it say are unread for you, and how many are actually unread, right now?

HTTP/2 203

3 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Does that mean you're still getting it? How many notifications does it say are unread for you, and how many are actually unread, right now?

Yes

6 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Yes

Are you sure? Asking the forum to count the actual number of unread notifications that you have is returning the same as what it claims it's displaying on the badge, even right around the time that you posted that. You do seem to be getting notifications quite frequently, but I can't see why that would cause issues.

When you open the notification list, are there notifications there that are actually unread, but that aren't showing as unread (so they're not bold, but you think they should be), that could be causing it?

HTTP/2 203

This has been happening to me too from time to time. Randomly (as in, I cannot discern any pattern as to when it happens). Sometimes it happens, sometimes I can go weeks without it occurring. It happened once last night, there is no telling when it will happen again. There is a thread discussing this problem (still unresolved) here.

It still happens from time to time even though my OS has changed to Win10 and my browser is now Chrome version 51.0.2704.103. I mostly gave up and just live with it.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

Are you sure? Asking the forum to count the actual number of unread notifications that you have is returning the same as what it claims it's displaying on the badge, even right around the time that you posted that. You do seem to be getting notifications quite frequently, but I can't see why that would cause issues.

When you open the notification list, are there notifications there that are actually unread, but that aren't showing as unread (so they're not bold, but you think they should be), that could be causing it?

There were I think I opened them all to see if that was it

I think the issue is probably that you're getting a notification, such as for a new like on a post, but it is then being removed. The notification itself is being removed correctly, but the count isn't being recalculated.

I have reported this issue to the devs, so hopefully it will be fixed in a future update.

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

I think the issue is probably that you're getting a notification, such as for a new like on a post, but it is then being removed. The notification itself is being removed correctly, but the count isn't being recalculated.

I have reported this issue to the devs, so hopefully it will be fixed in a future update.

I've had that before but shouldn't it be seen in the menu still?

10 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

I've had that before but shouldn't it be seen in the menu still?

Certain notifications can be removed from the menu without recalculating the count.

HTTP/2 203

Tonight it's doing it almost every time I move to a new page on the forum.

6 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

Tonight it's doing it almost every time I move to a new page on the forum.

Is it just the count on the notification icon going back to 1 even after you've read them all, or are you getting popups about it (either browser notifications or the popup in the bottom left of the page)?

HTTP/2 203

It was just the count going back to 1 and the notification sound playing, but no popups and all notifications showed as read (and there were indeed, no new notifications displayed).

2 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

It was just the count going back to 1 and the notification sound playing, but no popups and all notifications showed as read (and there were indeed, no new notifications displayed).

Was it 1 immediately when the page loaded, or did it only change to 1 about a second afterwards?

HTTP/2 203