Netgear GS724T Switch Fan Replacement

Jackpot17
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
1 minute ago, Jackpot17 said:

I did run into these but they seem a little overkill considering I don't mind having a little noise. I would also to prefer to spend a little less

Well just put a 20ohm reistor in the red lead of both fans.

I have a Netgear GS724T that I just bought off eBay, however its 2 fans are extremely noisy. I have seen a few tutorials for replacing them online but the recommendations for fans are all 2 pin but the fans on my switch are 3 pin (however they never seem to change rpm).

So I'm asking if anyone knows of any suitable 40mm fans that are quiet and have 3 pin connectors for my switch.

Here is a link to a couple photos of the switch: (I tried to upload them here but its says "You are only allowed to upload 20mb" even though they are less than that)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_iid8uJg1tTbXg3MXJkc202M1k

3 minutes ago, Jackpot17 said:

I have a Netgear GS724T that I just bought off eBay, however its 2 fans are extremely noisy. I have seen a few tutorials for replacing them online but the recommendations for fans are all 2 pin but the fans on my switch are 3 pin (however they never seem to change rpm).

So I'm asking if anyone knows of any suitable 40mm fans that are quiet and have 3 pin connectors for my switch.

Here is a link to a couple photos of the switch: (I tried to upload them here but its says "You are only allowed to upload 20mb" even though they are less than that)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_iid8uJg1tTbXg3MXJkc202M1k

There normal 40mm fans, you can use what ever you want. If you want quite buy the little noctuas here https://www.amazon.com/40x10mm-Bearing-Premium-Cooling-NF-A4x10/dp/B009NQLT0M

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

There normal 40mm fans, you can use what ever you want. If you want quite buy the little noctuas here https://www.amazon.com/40x10mm-Bearing-Premium-Cooling-NF-A4x10/dp/B009NQLT0M

I did run into these but they seem a little overkill considering I don't mind having a little noise. I would also to prefer to spend a little less

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you think the rpm will be high enough to cool it if I do so?

Do you think the rpm will be high enough to cool it if I do so?

Yea, its fine. Those switches don't make a lot of heat

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea, its fine. Those switches don't make a lot of heat

Okay. Would it be possible to use a 2 pin fans. Looking at what the pins do could I just leave out the tachometric pin?

2 minutes ago, Jackpot17 said:

Okay. Would it be possible to use a 2 pin fans. Looking at what the pins do could I just leave out the tachometric pin?

Yep, you shouldnt need the tachometer pin. Try unplugging it and see if it starts with no fans first, it might check rpm.

20 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yep, you shouldnt need the tachometer pin. Try unplugging it and see if it starts with no fans first, it might check rpm.

The fans do not come on when I disconnect the tachometer pin

2 minutes ago, Jackpot17 said:

The fans do not come on when I disconnect the tachometer pin

But the switch works? Just put a reisotor on the leads

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2016 at 10:42 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Update, I bought  2 22ohm resistors and soldered them in the red wire. The fans are now much quieter and I think the airflow is still more than adequate. Thank you for your solution.