New OS For Older Computer

Monti
Go to solution Solved by Carter,

Xp's days are numbered now, it's only like 6 months until they stop patching it. Ubuntu is good and user friendly so I would say that, or another Linux distort is the way forward.

I just found an older computer that was once a family computer. It currently has Windows XP with files and music on it. This computer is from either 2005 or 2006. I want it to be able to run some basic servers for my friends. Also my brother would like to play games and some flash games. It only has a single core with hyper threading or a basic dual core. 2gb of RAM and a really bad intel graphics chipset. I was thinking Ubuntu or SteamOS or should I stick with XP. Thanks for any help, have a nice day.

CPU-- AMD FX-8320 (Stock), Motherboard-- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0, RAM-- Team 8gb 1600Mhz, GPU-- Sapphire 7870 GHz with OC Edition, Case-- NZXT Tempest 210, PSU-- Corsair CX600m, HDD, 1tb Seagate & 2tb WD External, Monitor-- Dell S2240M IPS Display, Keyboard/Mouse-- Some Logitech keyboard and some Dell mouse, Speakers-- Logitech Z533

Any Linux variation is good and will be more efficient than any version of Windows.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Ok so do I use the SteamOS or Ubuntu. I have used Ubuntu before but I couldn't grasp the whole Ubuntu idea. The only reason I would object to the SteamOS is that the PC probable can play very if not any of my games.

CPU-- AMD FX-8320 (Stock), Motherboard-- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0, RAM-- Team 8gb 1600Mhz, GPU-- Sapphire 7870 GHz with OC Edition, Case-- NZXT Tempest 210, PSU-- Corsair CX600m, HDD, 1tb Seagate & 2tb WD External, Monitor-- Dell S2240M IPS Display, Keyboard/Mouse-- Some Logitech keyboard and some Dell mouse, Speakers-- Logitech Z533

Try bodhi linux, it is a very light linux distro that can basically run on anything. 

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

Ok so do I use the SteamOS or Ubuntu. I have used Ubuntu before but I couldn't grasp the whole Ubuntu idea. The only reason I would object to the SteamOS is that the PC probable can play very if not any of my games.

Actually, Valve intends to make SteamOS stream games from other platforms until more games become available for it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Ugh, no. Don't install Ubuntu. Install Linux Mint 15 (XFCE) instead. It has a familiar layout unlike Ubuntu with Unity and it has a way nicer start menu than Win7.

Ubuntu!

lubuntu or x ubuntu is better as it is an old computer  but ill suggest puppy as its one of my fav :) 

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

Xp's days are numbered now, it's only like 6 months until they stop patching it. Ubuntu is good and user friendly so I would say that, or another Linux distort is the way forward.

OnePlus 6T

ok I'm going to try Ubuntu untill steam OS is downloadable and try that. Thank guy for the help

Ubuntu isn't really for old PCs imo

Try crunchbang http://crunchbang.org/download/

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ubuntu isn't really for old PCs imo

Try crunchbang http://crunchbang.org/download/

I like Ubuntu alot but I also wouldn't recommend it for older computers

Cpu: Intel i5- 4570 | Ram: Crucial DDR3 8GB | Video Card: Evega GTX 660 Ti 2GB Super Clocked

Monitor: Philips 24" | Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK | Mouse: Logitech G700s |

Steam

I just found an older computer that was once a family computer. It currently has Windows XP with files and music on it. This computer is from either 2005 or 2006. I want it to be able to run some basic servers for my friends. Also my brother would like to play games and some flash games. It only has a single core with hyper threading or a basic dual core. 2gb of RAM and a really bad intel graphics chipset. I was thinking Ubuntu or SteamOS or should I stick with XP. Thanks for any help, have a nice day.

Pentium 4 with HT?  I still got one of those.  Stick with XP.  I also run Ubuntu (disable the load of graphics eye candy) and Win8 (in classic theme) on it for kicks.  The graphics part is the killer but still usable.

My Rigs (past and present)