Microsoft releases a full-screen "Get Windows 10" upgrade notification

evilarceus
2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

If you used Windows 10, and read what it says, he is ALREADY on Windows 10.

In his case, the reason for this, is that he delayed a large Windows 10 Update for 3 month, in which Windows tells you that it will restart, and decided to ignore it (probably didn't read what is on the screen, and then he is shocked. Well yea. i mean how many warning one person needs? Update your software and you'll have a smooth experience. If you plan to do some bug thing, check everything is updated before, make sure everything works... when it is your JOB (as he gets paid for this), you either do a good one or don't.

When you go on a film set, as a technician (for example) in audio and video, even before you do anything, you test ALL your cables. Even if you tested them yesterday. You never know when a cable might stop working. Imagine you work in a big film production, and a team is filming a 1 million scene with explosion, and the camera HDMI cable is broken, or the battery was not charged in the middle of the film... you'll loose your job.  There is no "take 2" in such scene. So you prepare and you test.

In his case, it is his job, and he lacks of any professionalism or even care to make sure his system is updated, that there will no notification of any update from any software that appear, that everything works, and THEN you start.

On mobile they changed the 3 months to 2 weeks for minimum time since the update is released.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

11 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

There are other options such as buying a Mac and using that OR using Linux on your PC instead. Use another option or stop complaining!

That was his fault for being ignorant and not paying attention before.

Do you even know what I mean by Windows X?

Again, use Linux or macOS and Stop complaining. Microsoft doesn't want to hear it, I don't want to hear it and neither does anybody who had a decent upgrade experience.

I fixed my post.  No offense but no one is going to buy a ridiculously overpriced Mac that they can't game on or do anything that requires high end components just to avoid an irritating Windows 10 feature.  I'm sure Linux is good for some people and I plan to try it someday but Windows is the best choice for gaming and general program compatibility.

If people have a problem with something they have the right to make reasonable complaints about it and voice an interest in having the problem fixed.  The answer to a problem is not to run away from it.  How will Windows ever stop doing things people hate if everyone starts using Linux or a Mac?

The people who have problems upgrading to or using Windows 10 have just as much right to their opinion as you do to yours.  You're free to say what you want within any forum rules but so is everyone else.

1 hour ago, evilarceus said:

Some streamers use a separate PC to capture video and stream to Twitch.

Well at least I've experienced framerate improvement when moving to windows 10 :) that os isn't as bad as everyone says.

3 hours ago, Robin88 said:

This is utter bullshit, I don't know how many of you deal with people who are easily scared by technology, but I know of several people who would be utterly terrified by this. Something big and scary takes over their entire screen, which they simply don't understand and it's basically yelling in their face to upgrade, it's going to scare the living daylights out of them.

To us who know what this means and how to deal with it, sure it's a minor annoyance, but to people who can just about turn on a computer without getting lost this will send them into a panic. This is simply not acceptable (at the risk of sounding like Lemongrab) and MS should be ashamed of these kinds of tactics, The more and more this shit goes on, the more I want to switch to Linux permanently.

And no, I strongly disagree that this makes disabling the notification easy, it's fucking purple text on a purple background, there are more than a handful of people who have poor eyesight that simply would not see that, or have dyslexia and need black text on pink to read a computer screen properly, or wouldn't be as attentive as we are and completely miss it, why should they suffer because Microshite are pulling the same tactics used by malware authors to get everyone on Windows 10?

Fuck Microshite. Bunch of twats

I did. Many times actually.

When I teach the first things I do is work in breaking the mental barrier that they have, that makes computer scary, before doing anything.

I make them understand how a computer internal work at a general level (how electricity turn into what they see), and not fear that it will explode from a wrong click, or that it is sensitive, or has explosives inside or something, or is a magic box. Whatever their fear is, I break it. I also teach them that software is can undo things, and that things can always be fixed.

Then, I don't teach them: "Oh to do this... do that, and that, and then that". This is wrong way! You should educate people on understanding the design direction of the GUI, what is the thought process, and teach them to read messages and pop-ups, and help them formulate critical thinking questions. This how you teach them how to use a computer. So that they don't bug you millions of times for small things, as they forgot, or can't find the notes in their page or whatnot.

Yes, it is a lengthy process, yes they might just want to quickly do things and want you to go straight to the point, but the payoff is worth it. And they start to enjoy more their devices, and not be lost when there is a change to the OS.

Like for example, say they are on Windows 10.. well in the Anniversary Update, the Start Menu has changed. Am I scared that my parents, or anyone I taught might get confused? Nope. The same way they are enjoying and using Office 2007, 2010, 2013, and now 2016.

11 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

You can't.  The only options for Windows 10 updates are Windows automatically downloads updates and it decides when to restart supposedly when you're not doing anything or Windows downloads updates automatically and gives you a few bs choices of how soon you want it to restart.  

Either way updates are downloaded without my consent and a restart is forced on me it's just a matter of do I want to be angry now or in a few hours.

[...]

Without modifying anything and through the settings app you can still tell Windows to rather install that update in a week than whatever it automatically decides to set that trigger too.

With the Enterprise version you have more advanced control but even without, there are 3rd party tools that let you automatically delete the scheduled restart as soon as it gets set, another option and my preferred one is you could control if it can download updates at all or if you temporally allow it via firewall rules (which can be easily automated via batch scripts).

My biggest problem with Windows 10 still are the privacy issues, all of the other issues can be easily resolved if you know how. You can even easily stop the upgrade notification if you prefer to use your current Windows if you just use google and follow one of the many guides for 5 minutes.

17 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

How do you use the laptop to test upgrades to Windows 10?  

I test by installing the original Windows 8.1, then by upgrading to the latest major release and using it for about a month. And that's no picnic since the A8 4555M utterly sucks as its not much better than an i5 U470M.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

46 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I test by installing the original Windows 8.1, then by upgrading to the latest major release and using it for about a month. And that's no picnic since the A8 4555M utterly sucks as its not much better than an i5 U470M.

Ah.  I'm not familiar with relative CPU performance but I'll take your word on that.

6 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Ah.  I'm not familiar with relative CPU performance but I'll take your word on that.

Long story short-both laptops have 1.8GHz (boost) dual core/ module 4 thread CPU that are only good for web browsing, youtube, and art (due to the excellent touch screens and the reliance on the GPU).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 02/07/2016 at 9:19 AM, Crowes said:

Not to play devil's advocate or anything, but I believe the majority of consumers.. "might as well."

Agree

and the majority of consumers have no idea what windows 10 is, and would not do it unless prompted

PC enthusiasts are a minority, this forum seems to forget that

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

And then there will be people who didn't upgrade but will complain about missing the deadline.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

"We've now extended the offer for another 10 years!"

No but seriously, I think people should take the free upgrade and revert back if you don't like it.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor