I caved

I caved and I bought a roll of black and white film, and so now I have no choice but to buy a film camera :P 

need to find a decent one 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

I don't know much about photography. Is there an actual point in doing that? Like the way some audiophiles love the sound of vinyls or something?

CPU: Intel 3930K @ 4.6GHz || MOBO: Asus P9X79-E WS || GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX Titans || CASE: Fractal Design Define XL R2 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i

RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum @ 2100 MHz || Storage: 240GB Samsung 840 Pro & 2TB Seagate Barracuda || Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX

Peripherals: Samsung S27B970D - Asus PB23HQ - Logitech MX Revolution - Corsair K95 - Samson Meteor Mic - Logitech C920 - Bowers&Wilkins MM-1

I don't know much about photography. Is there an actual point in doing that? Like the way some audiophiles love the sound of vinyls or something?

pretty much its the vinyl of the photo world 

#KilledMyWife 

So is the question, whats a good black and white film camera that's not too expensive? ^_^

yeah pretty much 

#KilledMyWife 

I recently found 2 old cameras and took some pictures but when I tried to get them developed they want to me to buy prints which I dont want I just want them on a CD. It was old flim that was found in the bags so I didn't really care to much about the pictures I took . I just want to see how the photos look. 

and wow while typing this 4 replies showed up. 

I recently found 2 old cameras and took some pictures but when I tried to get them developed they want to me to buy prints which I dont want I just want them on a CD. It was old flim that was found in the bags so I didn't really care to much about the pictures I took . I just want to see how the photos look. 

and wow while typing this 4 replies showed up. 

i'm gonna develop it myself 

#KilledMyWife 

Shake it like a polaroid picture baby 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Well it really depends what you are looking for and what your budget is.  Are you looking at getting an SLR or rangefinder?  Or just a good dependable fixed lens camera.  BTW a good B&W camera should also be a good color camera  ;)

Cameras that I've owned/used and can recommend:

SLR

Nikon F80

Olympus OM-1, although I hear other OM versions may be better

Fixed Lens Rangefinders

Canon Canonet GIII QL 19 & QL 17

Olympus XA (Great leiitle Camera)

Yashica Electro 35 (I`ve never owned one but I want one and it seems to have a great lens)

Rangefinders

Leica M3 & M6

Voigtlander Bessa R2/3A, R2/3M (Never had or used, but have read that they are great little cameras.

The good thing about Nikon cameras is that they all use the same lens mount, that saved me from buying a whole bunch of new lenses.  For my two Leicas, I am currently using two Voigtlander lenses (35mm 1.4; 50mm 1.5) and I am quite happy with the results and quality.

I develop my own B&W too and its pretty rewarding if you have the time and patience to do it.  I then just scan the negatives on my Canon F9000 flatbed scanner.  When I shoot color film, i just get the store to develop the film ($3.50) and I scan the negatives at home.  Otherwise, I'd have to pay for scans, and I'd rather spend that money on film. 

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

Well it really depends what you are looking for and what your budget is.  Are you looking at getting an SLR or rangefinder?  Or just a good dependable fixed lens camera.  BTW a good B&W camera should also be a good color camera  ;)

Cameras that I've owned/used and can recommend:

SLR

Nikon F80

Olympus OM-1, although I hear other OM versions may be better

Fixed Lens Rangefinders

Canon Canonet GIII QL 19 & QL 17

Olympus XA (Great leiitle Camera)

Yashica Electro 35 (I`ve never owned one but I want one and it seems to have a great lens)

Rangefinders

Leica M3 & M6

Voigtlander Bessa R2/3A, R2/3M (Never had or used, but have read that they are great little cameras.

The good thing about Nikon cameras is that they all use the same lens mount, that saved me from buying a whole bunch of new lenses.  For my two Leicas, I am currently using two Voigtlander lenses (35mm 1.4; 50mm 1.5) and I am quite happy with the results and quality.

I develop my own B&W too and its pretty rewarding if you have the time and patience to do it.  I then just scan the negatives on my Canon F9000 flatbed scanner.  When I shoot color film, i just get the store to develop the film ($3.50) and I scan the negatives at home.  Otherwise, I'd have to pay for scans, and I'd rather spend that money on film. 

I was thinking something more along the lines of a mid 1990's nikon f4 or f5 that it at least looks modern. Something that I can strap to me at this wedding and get some pointless black and white artsy shots of people getting wasted during the reception while I leave the 7d and the 600d to do the real work. 

nikon f4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-F4-35mm-SLR-Film-Camera-Body-Only-/181225486454

#KilledMyWife 

Is that really practical?  Why carry more gear than you have too?  Also, why spend more money when you can get the same pointless shots with your digital camera?  Do you have Nikon lenses that you could slap on the F4?  And if you think that film can't do "real work" you have to check out some professional photogs that do still shoot film.  Ming Thein comes to mind (http://blog.mingthein.com/).  For the wedding, I would probably just stick with what you have and not worry about the film shots. It might be more trouble than its worth.  Maybe just convert the digital shots to black and white and compose them in an artsy fashion?  You don't need a film camera to shoot "artsy" or "B&W". Spend the money on fried chicken!!

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

Is that really practical?  Why carry more gear than you have too?  Also, why spend more money when you can get the same pointless shots with your digital camera?  Do you have Nikon lenses that you could slap on the F4?  And if you think that film can't do "real work" you have to check out some professional photogs that do still shoot film.  Ming Thein comes to mind (http://blog.mingthein.com/).  For the wedding, I would probably just stick with what you have and not worry about the film shots. It might be more trouble than its worth.  Maybe just convert the digital shots to black and white and compose them in an artsy fashion?  You don't need a film camera to shoot "artsy" or "B&W". Spend the money on fried chicken!!

Well its not just for the wedding, I really really really really really really really for as long as I can remember have wanted to shoot film. I know film can do real work but its just to un reliable for a wedding so "real work" doesn't mean good quality i'm talking in terms of speed and accuracy as well as reliability aka not screwing up iso.

I got some fried chicken today, it was really good. I know I don't need film to shoot artsy black and white but I was brought up in a digital age and I just want to touch base with photographys roots. 

#KilledMyWife 

That's cool.  I still think that you may want to carry as little as you need during the wedding, but if you do get the F4, you should be happy.  The F5 is a BEAST too and would be great.  I would love to own one too!!

That's cool.  I still think that you may want to carry as little as you need during the wedding, but if you do get the F4, you should be happy.  The F5 is a BEAST too and would be great.  I would love to own one too!!

The f6 now that is a whole different beast :P 

#KilledMyWife 

I'm using a Canon eos 300, looks pretty modern, works great for me never had a problem with it. And it uses canon's EF mount. It's also cheap but probably most film camera's are now.

I think it's called a rebel 2000 if you are from the american area.
10.jpg

Core i7 2600  Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3  EVGA GTX 970 FTW  16Gb 1600Mhz G.SKILL

Samsung 500Gb 840EVO RAID0 Random 80GB HDD Corsair GS700 Corsair ArticWhite C70

I'm using a Canon eos 300, looks pretty modern, works great for me never had a problem with it. And it uses canon's EF mount. It's also cheap but probably most film camera's are now.

10.jpg

Thanks i'll look into it 

#KilledMyWife 

10.jpg

Thats a good film camera.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Thats a good film camera.

and only around 40 bucks, I seriously may pick this up 

#KilledMyWife 

If you have EF lenses, you might as well.  It would save you from having to buy into a whole new system.

If you have EF lenses, you might as well.  It would save you from having to buy into a whole new system.

I need money lol, I'm sure there will be some of those at the swap meet in 1 week but I only have like $3 working on selling stuff on craigslist. 

#KilledMyWife