What's the safe temperature limit for a GTX 1070?

Bleedingyamato

So far I've only run the Tomb Raider 2013 and Unigine Valley benchmarks and I'm partway through Spec Ops: The Line while using my Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070.  According to Afterburner's OSD it's gotten to about 97% load I think maybe 99% and only up to like 63C and about 45% for the fans.  

I'm wondering if it would be ok to fix the fan speed to maybe 40% or 35% and let the 1070 get a bit hotter but still keep it reasonably lower than an unsafe temperature.  

Before I'd actually do that I'd need to know what the safe temperature limit is for a 1070 or Nvidia GPUs in general if the limit wouldn't be specific to a 1070.  

Also is this even a good idea?  Would it be too risky not to leave the fan settings on auto/as determined by the 1070's bios?

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

So far I've only run the Tomb Raider 2013 and Unigine Valley benchmarks and I'm partway through Spec Ops: The Line while using my Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070.  According to Afterburner's OSD it's gotten to about 97% load I think maybe 99% and only up to like 63C and about 45% for the fans.  

I'm wondering if it would be ok to fix the fan speed to maybe 40% or 35% and let the 1070 get a bit hotter but still keep it reasonably lower than an unsafe temperature.  

Before I'd actually do that I'd need to know what the safe temperature limit is for a 1070 or Nvidia GPUs in general if the limit wouldn't be specific to a 1070.  

Also is this even a good idea?  Would it be too risky not to leave the fan settings on auto/as determined by the 1070's bios?

Keep it below 95-100

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

18 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Keep it below 95-100

Isn't 95/100 C too hot? It should be under 85C..

46 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

below or around 85

Thank you for the info.  It's not all that loud at 45 but as long as the temperature doesn't go up too much I figured I'd make it a little quieter.  

1 hour ago, bgibbz said:

Keep it below 95-100

Isn't that a little hot for an Nvidia card?

18 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Isn't that a little hot for an Nvidia card?

Maybe lol. I have had overclockd cards of mine hit they heat and be fine so I have always just considered that to be the acceptable range. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

• 1 year later...

My gpu is usualy pretty cool on intensive games staying around 74c but on full load for a while it can get up to 83c no higher though is this safe?

my card stays really cool until i play PUBG at ultra it can hit 90C but the fan kicks in at full force and usually cools it down to the 80s

• 1 year later...
On 7/17/2017 at 5:05 AM, cloneman said:

Why lock the fan speed? Let the card self-manage decreasing the RPM automatically for lower loads

This does not apply to MSI cards. It is better to use MSI Afterburner and manually set an auto fan graph at a curve. It keeps the fan from jumping from 0%-100% on MSI cards.

• 6 months later...

ThePcProcrastinato:::   Thanks for the info, i too was questioning, the temps on the founder edition 1070 8GB GTX, mine was @ 86c?️  on high settings after nearly 2 hours of playing  War Thunder or World of Warships, thing is only with those 2 games the card would get at the temps i said 86c, and was thinking  was to hot?. On other games, it wouldn't get in the 80's most it would get was in the '60s to mid-'70s, plus i was not to much into games as i am now. But after awhile i remembered i had my Zotac mini 1050 ti-4GB 1-fan, and i ran a test, sure enought the Zotac did not get hot what so ever, 6 hours went by, and was still at about 50c  to maybe Low 60c  but mostly t mid 50c. I haven't changed it back to the 1070 fe since i didn't want to bother with the high temps i thought where high when hitting mid 80's, but with the confirmed message i read here from you least now i let out a sigh? of Relief .

On 7/11/2017 at 4:52 PM, ThePcProcrastinator said:

83 is the highest it will go while playing me most intensive game i mean

ThePcProcrastinato:::   Thanks for the info, i too was questioning, the temps on the founder edition 1070 8GB GTX, mine was @ 86c?️  on high settings after nearly 2 hours of playing  War Thunder or World of Warships, thing is only with those 2 games the card would get at the temps i said 86c, and was thinking  was to hot?. On other games, it wouldn't get in the 80's most it would get was in the '60s to mid-'70s, plus i was not to much into games as i am now. But after awhile i remembered i had my Zotac mini 1050 ti-4GB 1-fan, and i ran a test, sure enought the Zotac did not get hot what so ever, 6 hours went by, and was still at about 50c  to maybe Low 60c  but mostly t mid 50c. I haven't changed it back to the 1070 fe since i didn't want to bother with the high temps i thought where high when hitting mid 80's, but with the confirmed message i read here from you least now i let out a sigh? of Relief .

On 7/1/2016 at 2:34 PM, Bleedingyamato said:

whoa  30c or 40c may even be to low of temps, as Linus said once, for got how he put it, but real low temps can cause problem also, from being to cool i think the right word he said was cause condensation, from running to cool guess its like for example like a muffler from a car  is cold and water starts comimg out of it when you warm up a car, more or less, but thats what it causes, condensation, in the parts with in the card.

23 minutes ago, Rom3 said:

whoa  30c or 40c may even be to low of temps, as Linus said once, for got how he put it, but real low temps can cause problem also, from being to cool i think the right word he said was cause condensation, from running to cool guess its like for example like a muffler from a car  is cold and water starts comimg out of it when you warm up a car, more or less, but thats what it causes, condensation, in the parts with in the card.

There's no way 30 Celsius causes condensation, it has to be super low

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

There's no way 30 Celsius causes condensation, it has to be super low

okay 20c mo less but i see many trying to get it to drop to the coldest they can, i heard this from Linus youtube videos, and others, ain't to the correct term, but i do remember that its not a good idea to drop ur Card temps to low. Also not here to critique, just offer a little here and there of what i heard from certain Pros on certain Channels, and find answers to my own questions, that's all. The original question was is 86c  too hot for a founder edition 1070 8gb GTX ???   that's my question, i happened to see one posted about how his card goes to 30 or 40, and he thought if that was to hot. But ur website is something to look forward to, i took a glance and if i like what you offer wouldn't mind buying, ill copy paste ur site in my Shopping folder, thanks.

• 1 year later...
On 3/11/2019 at 8:29 PM, Rom3 said:

okay 20c mo less but i see many trying to get it to drop to the coldest they can, i heard this from Linus youtube videos, and others, ain't to the correct term, but i do remember that its not a good idea to drop ur Card temps to low. Also not here to critique, just offer a little here and there of what i heard from certain Pros on certain Channels, and find answers to my own questions, that's all. The original question was is 86c  too hot for a founder edition 1070 8gb GTX ???   that's my question, i happened to see one posted about how his card goes to 30 or 40, and he thought if that was to hot. But ur website is something to look forward to, i took a glance and if i like what you offer wouldn't mind buying, ill copy paste ur site in my Shopping folder, thanks.

20C is about 70F, you aren't condensing at 20C unless your room is very hot and humid. But if that were the case you'd still have to be doing some sub ambient cooling with a chiller etc. You only get condensation if you are cooling below dew point. Dew point is always below ambient dry bulb temp, dry bulb is what a normal thermometer measures.

You can't really go too cold on a GPU. People OC them with liquid nitrogen for fun. RAM can get too cold, but never on ambient cooling unless your tower is outside in the winter...