AMD RX 480 Causing Faults For PC Gamers – PCIe Slots Have Died On High-End Boards

Mr_Troll

AMD RX 480 Causing Faults For PC Gamers – PCIe Slots Have Died On High-End Boards

AMD RX 480 owners will be livid after finding out that the company’s perfectly priced and ‘made for mainstream VR immersion’ GPU has been causing a boatload of problems for gamers’ motherboards. In fact, we are quite shocked to hear that a quite a few RX 480 owners have started to report issues with the graphics card, with varied levels of damage caused to their PCs.

AMD RX 480 Suspected Of Drawing More Power From PCIe Slot Than The Specified Limit – Reports Are Varying From Dead PCIe Slots To Dead Audio Ports

While some users have reported that RX 480 has ended up making the audio ports of the motherboard non-functional, more issues have emanated from the PCIe slot. According to an AMD forum post, one user has reported that after playing Witcher 3 endlessly for 7 hours, he started receiving artifacts and everything went pitch black on the display. With modern day motherboards shipping out with on-board debugging LEDs to provide users with a quicker way to isolate issues from their rigs, the user reports that the PCIe slot had died.However, after RX 480 was inserted in another PCIe slot, the system booted up fine. We have not received an update from the user regarding the spare PCIe slot, but he does state that the problem could arise from the GPU consuming more power from the slot than the recommended value, which stands as 75 watts.

Another user wasn’t so fortunate, since he reports that his ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX’s PCIe slot was not only rendered useless (the one where the RX 480 was installed), but the remaining two PCIe slots were not responding either. It should be noted that the GPU on this system was overclocked to 1350MHz on the GPU clock, but no changes were made to the voltage, or the memory clock speed side of things.

AMD FORUM

Such an issue should not be taken lightly as ASUS’s SABERTOOTH series of motherboards are considered high-end with military grade components. We don’t have information of the name of the OEM who’s RX 480 was being used, but it appears that one XFX RX 480 user hailing from an Overclock forum post had his audio ports fried except for the digital audio, thus indicating that the GPU is responsible for sabotaging parts of the motherboard. However, the difference here is that the XFX RX 480 was running at stock speeds, with no such tweaking done, at least according to the user.

AMD FORUM (2)

Whatever the case maybe, AMD and the sub-vendors should accept responsibility for the havoc that the GPU is causing and provide users with replacements as soon as possible. Additionally, the company should also look into the PCIe power draw issue and make appropriate arrangements in the form of a BIOS update to make sure that a myriad of other RX 480 owners do not suffer the same fate.

It is also advised that if you’re using an aftermarket GPU tweaking tool such MSI Afterburner, refrain from tweaking the GPU as it may have severe ramifications on your motherboard, at least until AMD can properly isolate the problem

overclock-post

And thought that those new gpus would save me some money on the power bill. Damn .

Source: https://community.amd.com/thread/202410

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-killing-pcie-slots/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

3 minutes ago, Mr_Troll said:

AMD RX 480 Suspected Of Drawing More Power From PCIe Slot Than The Specified Limit – Reports Are Varying From Dead PCIe Slots To Dead Audio Ports

AMD FORUM

AMD FORUM (2)

overclock-post

And thought that those new gpus would save me some money on the power bill. Damn .

Source: https://community.amd.com/thread/202410

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-killing-pcie-slots/

Technically a repost:

Damnit. Will this issue be resolved with aftermarket boards? This is utterly ridiculous.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Technically a repost:

Not really a repost... This article is stating people have already been having issues, the previous one was showing the potential for issues was there.

@Prysin That was fast...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, nosirrah123 said:

Damnit. Will this issue be resolved with aftermarket boards? This is utterly ridiculous.

No reason it shouldn't be, it only needs a few more power phases to move the load off the pcie slot.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

As I said on he other topic, this is why you do not exceed specs.  Too many watts going through a device not designed for it can kill it.  

Sabertooth boards dying? Not the first time then xD

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Well AMD, time to fix this.

Put an 8-pin on the damn thing.

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, Knaj said:

Was gonna tell my brother to get an RX 480 for his new PC.

But nope not anymore.

Not until they fix this shit.

AMD has already said it isn't something they can fix via software... AIB cards probably won't have this issue but still.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Hearing these faults way too often now for it to be a bad batch.  Pardon the smugness but I am quite happy now I got my R9 390 when I did.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

11 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Not really a repost... This article is stating people have already been having issues, the previous one was showing the potential for issues was there.

@Prysin That was fast...

Actually, they started covering people having issues with it. Even have links to tests about the power draw in the OP.

12 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

@Prysin That was fast...

there is like 100+ posts of "dying motherboards" on AMD forusm and reddit by now.

i bet 99.99% of them are bullshit. Just like the fan speed bug where some AMD GPUs fans got locked at 20%. heaps of people claimed their GPUs died because of this. Yet only ONE case was proven to be real. The rest was bullshit.

Even a shitty mobo shouldnt immediatly die from a AMD GPU drawing a little bit more power over the PCIe. UNless they overclock the shit out of the GPU then start mining or folding for a whole fucking day.

But in that case, you did it because you KNEW that it had that bug and are trying to pull a scam in order to get a whole new system.

9 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

AIB cards probably won't have this issue but still.

Not this one i guess.
POWERCOLOR-Radeon-RX-480-DEVIL.jpg

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

7 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Even a shitty mobo shouldnt immediatly die from a AMD GPU drawing a little bit more power over the PCIe. UNless they overclock the shit out of the GPU then start mining or folding for a whole fucking day.

Science Studio use uber old AM2+ board for a budget build with RX-480 and the system simply shutdown but still working.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

4 minutes ago, Prysin said:

there is like 100+ posts of "dying motherboards" on AMD forusm and reddit by now.

i bet 99.99% of them are bullshit. Just like the fan speed bug where some AMD GPUs fans got locked at 20%. heaps of people claimed their GPUs died because of this. Yet only ONE case was proven to be real. The rest was bullshit.

But in that case, you did it because you KNEW that it had that bug and are trying to pull a scam in order to get a whole new system.

I mean if it is going to have issues, acute issues are quite likely (short duration). 

Audio issues were expected from the get-go, the pcie ones are less likely obviously. 

8 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Actually, they started covering people having issues with it. Even have links to tests about the power draw in the OP.

Tests about power draw were the whole point....

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

9 minutes ago, Prysin said:

I don't think it's only people who knew about the issue. I think a lot of people would take their brand new card, push it to its overclock limit and then game for a few hours. I'm not saying these reports are credible, but I don't think it's uncommon for someone to overclock their brand new card to the limit and then put it under stress. Hell, the first thing I would do is stress test it for a few hours (and then overclock and stress test some more, although I do usually wait a couple days before overclocking to make sure everything is good).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

12 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I don't think it's only people who knew about the issue. I think a lot of people would take their brand new card, push it to its overclock limit and then game for a few hours. I'm not saying these reports are credible, but I don't think it's uncommon for someone to overclock their brand new card to the limit and then put it under stress. Hell, the first thing I would do is stress test it for a few hours (and then overclock and stress test some more, although I do usually wait a couple days before overclocking to make sure everything is good).

This, also I'd wait for superior driver support, no doubt the current drivers will be improved upon massively in coming weeks/months.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

If the MoBo is dead after only 7 hours, I'm very sure this would have been discovered in the internal testing by AMD. They stress the cards by running it full speed 24/7 and do temperature cycling. Not saying it will never kill a MoBo, but not that fast unless the internal case temperature was extremly high or the MoBo already on the edge.

However the additional noice on the audio pors can be annoying.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

20 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

If the MoBo is dead after only 7 hours, I'm very sure this would have been discovered in the internal testing by AMD. They stress the cards by running it full speed 24/7 and do temperature cycling. Not saying it will never kill a MoBo, but not that fast unless the internal case temperature was extremly high or the MoBo already on the edge.

However the additional noice on the audio pors can be annoying.

AMD likely did testing on a high end motherboard, not some POS 970 board. Plus AMD may or may not have overclocked the card as high. (Assuming the report is true)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I put on my robe and skepticism hat when I opened this thread. Surprisingly enough some of these seem pretty legit.

roquen22 used an ASRock 970 Extreme4 motherboard. That's a pretty old (probably 4-5 years by now) motherboard and it was not exactly high end back then. On top of that his RX 480 was overclocked on the core (although not overvolted and stock VRAM).

The person on overclock.net (the one with the Rampage IV Extreme motherboard) was using 3-way crossfire.

I would not be surprised if the majority of reports are fake, but it is worrying that some of them seem legitimate. I was expecting reports like these in 6+ months. Not 2 days.