Louis Rossmann going up against Apple starting tomorrow

So many people know this guy because he taught linus a lesson about how to repair a GPU properly instead of putting it in an oven.

He's got his own youtube channel with over 150k subscribers and he teaches and creates many different troubleshooting videos, repair videos, or just life videos.

Slightly over an hour ago he uploaded this video

He mentions he is not allowed to talk about anything right now, but he makes it very clear that "someone with a lot of money" (obviously Apple) will be making his life very difficult starting tomorrow.

He also leaves pretty large hints that people should download his content because he expects his youtube channel as well as his repair business to be closed forcefully.

the finite lifespan you'll find a lot of these channels on youtube have. [...] what often will happen is that sometimes people who don't like the content creator, or people who don't like the content creator's business, for whatever reason, you never know why people may not like somebody else, but they'll file a claim. And if they have enough money -if they have enough money- sometimes they'll be able to have laws passed that allow what somebody's doing to, you know, be on that gray area where they can have that content removed. And then maybe that person's business removed. And then maybe that person's source of income removed.

Most people suspect this has something to do with the "Right to Repair" bill he has been trying to pass against Apple's wishes.

I am personally not subscribed to this guy, but his tutorials are very informative, and very valuable information to tech people and repair people alike.

...tomorrow you may not be able to come back and watch it.

^ talking about his channel and all his videos

I’ve been hearing more and more stories of repair shops being raided for repairing Apple devices. There are 101 and more problems with this. Let’s start from the top.

More in depth info: https://www.rossmanngroup.com/lets-talk-something-serious-here-do-not-pass-go-read-this-shit/

That is all we know for now...storm hits tomorrow.

LATEST UPDATE:

so far no lawsuit, and things seem to be pretty positive between the two parties:

LATEST LATEST UPDATE:

So it is confirmed, the problem is him showing apple schematics in his videos.

At the moment he is deciding how to proceed by either fighting against these demands or by using Microsoft Paint to draw the schematics himself, or something else.

It is still unsure if he will have to remove/edit previous videos, but it seems like his channel will not be taken down as of now.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Dude knows his shit. I hope he gets all the help he needs.

i dont see how apple is able to sue/force him to shut down for wanting a bill that they are against to pass

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

So many people know this guy because he taught linus a lesson about how to repair a GPU properly instead of putting it in an oven.

He's got his own youtube channel with over 150k subscribers and he teaches and creates many different troubleshooting videos, repair videos, or just life videos.

Slightly over an hour ago he uploaded this video

He mentions he is not allowed to talk about anything right now, but he makes it very clear that "someone with a lot of money" (obviously Apple) will be making his life very difficult starting tomorrow.

He also makes pretty large hits that people should download his content because he expects his youtube channel as well as his repair business to be closed forcefully.

Most people suspect this has something to do with the "Right to Repair" bill he has been trying to pass against Apple's wishes.

I am personally not subscribed to this guy, but his tutorials are very informative, and very valuable information to tech people and repair people alike.

That is all we know for now...storm hits tomorrow.

the lawyer fund thing that H3H3 started should hopefully do good here

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

7 minutes ago, themaniac said:

i dont see how apple is able to sue/force him to shut down for wanting a bill that they are against to pass

I am working on adding a quote from the video

half of it is there now

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Probably that to fix the items he fixes that he has to reverse engineer and that they're suing for copy right infringement.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

I think there's a typo in your title

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Wow this is NOT good, poor louis

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Fuck Apple, or at least their legal team.

I understand when someone is doing obvious things that infringe a copyright but shit, fixing hardware is somehow reverse engineering? Oh really Apple? How stupid.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I understand when someone is doing obvious things that infringe a copyright but shit, fixing hardware is somehow reverse engineering? Oh really Apple? How stupid.

Hey we don't know what's going on right now, but you're probably right :(

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

1 minute ago, Flight1sim said:

Hey we don't know what's going on right now, but you're probably right :(

I'm sure it's Apple. It wouldn't be too surprising since their legal team is rather unforgiving, and pretty heartless. I mean I know protecting IPs are important and protecting copyrights and what not, are important. But still repairing stuff I don't think is reverse engineering.

Now this is a topic to be followed.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

I'm sure it's Apple. It wouldn't be too surprising since their legal team is rather unforgiving, and pretty heartless. I mean I know protecting IPs are important and protecting copyrights and what not, are important. But still repairing stuff I don't think is reverse engineering.

no but the problem here is that it has something to do with the actual parts used. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-apple-iphone-repair-20160618-story.html

Was posted in the youtube comments section. I feel this is very relevant to whats going on with Louis 

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Their legal team is the Lawful bit of Lawful Evil

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Apple.  First of all, who else would it be?  Everything he fixes is Apple.  Second, I can see them freaking out over someone showing the world that their computers are made of hardware like every PC and not actually magic and pixie dust.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Flight1sim said:

no but the problem here is that it has something to do with the actual parts used. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-apple-iphone-repair-20160618-story.html

Was posted in the youtube comments section. I feel this is very relevant to whats going on with Louis 

Huh,..

How messed up. I can see right through their motive of not wanting it to pass. It's simple. Greed. I know, sometimes companies feel they are only to exist to make money and report to their share holders. But then why the hell does Apple have such a public face and try to seem like a good company but then try to go against consumer rights. How messed up is that. I mean I used to adore Apple. I think Tim Cook isn't a bad guy but shit I think he needs to get some new people on their legal team or whatever who are less douche-y and greedy than the current people on their legal team. 

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Their legal team is the Lawful bit of Lawful Evil

Pretty much.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I would be surprised if it was Apple.  First of all, who else would it be?  Everything he fixes is Apple.  Second, I can see them freaking out over someone showing the world that their computers are made of hardware like every PC and not actually magic and pixie dust.

did you mean to say you wouldn't be surprised?

:P

typo in your post

Spoiler

Not sure what to make of this.

I mean, even in his older videos, he knew that this may eventually come.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

3 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Not sure what to make of this.

I mean, even in his older videos, he knew that this may eventually come.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I'm going to dare say this event could make or break the legality of independent repair. This is an all hands on deck situation, imho.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I would be surprised if it was Apple.  First of all, who else would it be?  Everything he fixes is Apple.  Second, I can see them freaking out over someone showing the world that their computers are made of hardware like every PC and not actually magic and pixie dust.

From their marketing of the MacBook last year they did show under the hood stuff like the "logic board" and the terraced batteries. So I don't think they pretend that their "innards" are anything special. They're just a bit of a rebel in the sense that they use black PCBs with black traces and what not. Which is kinda funny that they don't want you getting in but then they make the insides look pretty decent. So eh whatever. I mean with software and the EULA on that doesn't grant you ownership unless they're trying to treat hardware like software now and say that you don't technically own that either. Which that I think starts crossing a line. Like with software okay sure, you're not making us pay for it anymore (even though when Apple did make you pay for it I think they did still say that the software wasn't yours to play with but the disc it was on was yours.)

But hardware, that's a different story. There's is absolutely no reason an OEM should be able to say that they're just "loaning" you the hardware and that the hardware is property of the OEM and therefore how you can use it is up to the digression of the OEM.

32 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Fun fact: under United States federal warranty law, it's illegal for companies to void warranties over user maintenance. Yet, they do it anyway and try to mask peoples' rights from them.

If it really is Apple involved in this case, then I'm giving my full support to Rossmann. It is our right to repair our own computers, and I hope he and other independent computer repair workers continue to fight for our right to do so.

What exactly would stop him from opening a new channel?

1 minute ago, Rune said:

What exactly would stop him from opening a new channel?

if you have a channel shut down you are not allowed to create a new one by youtube TOS

or he would just end up getting sued or shut down again by apple

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Daring said:

Fun fact: under United States federal warranty law, it's illegal for companies to void warranties over user maintenance. Yet, they do it anyway.

Huh interesting. Wonder why the FTC or whoever is in charge of that hasn't pursued fining businesses that practice that warranty void if removed stuff. Probably lobbying and corruption.