Hi,

Just been thinking of a way to turn a non smart led tv to be able to gain access to the plex app. 

So is there any decent android smart tv boxes?

Cheers.

12 hours ago, Strayan_Bass said:

Hi,

Just been thinking of a way to turn a non smart led tv to be able to gain access to the plex app. 

So is there any decent android smart tv boxes?

Cheers.

you can try amazon fire stick or with google chromecast with your phone.

6 hours ago, AlanAlan said:

you can try amazon fire stick or with google chromecast with your phone.

Yeah chrome cast  is looking like my best option. Hopefully android will release a box soon. 

39 minutes ago, Strayan_Bass said:

Yeah chrome cast  is looking like my best option. Hopefully android will release a box soon. 

Most android box are laggy and slow. So the best bet is the chromecast or amazon tv.

4 hours ago, Strayan_Bass said:

I've tried a bunch of different devices with Plex like Fire TV, Roku, and a RPi 2.  The Chromecast 2 is a lot better than the original and IMO is the best option for Plex besides a high-end smart TV or a HTPC.  The main issue I had with most devices was that navigating through libraries was painfully slow but as long as you have a decent phone or tablet the Plex app runs really smooth.

Forget everything these people have been saying, The REAL Android box is the Nvidia Shield. It's so powerful and I would 100% recommend it. It's more than just for playing games, It's an AMAZING media consuming device with plenty of power.

Click here for Nvidia's website.

This link here takes you to Google's website, You can checkout Android TV's general features from here.

P.S. I'm talking about the Shield Android TV.

Just curious has anyone tried the anroid tv boxes you can get on eBay. I know the shield is best but costs allot in NZ. eBay ones are quite cheap

looking for x265 hevc support in plex. Currently using rasplex on pi2 but doest support x265.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/381462892232

• 2 weeks later...

@Strayan_Bass

Could try Fire or Xiaomi

I know it's a dirty word around here, but Apple *gasp* makes a great set top box with the AppleTV. I've used just about everything...Roku 3, WDTV Live, Boxee Box (RIP, they were awesome), G-Box Q2, laptop with and HDMI cable plugged into the TV and a wireless media keyboard and the new AppleTV is the best, IMHO. If you just want it for Plex, it will work great. It can't handle virtually any media files locally, and doesn't even support plugging in a USB storage device but for streaming it works really good.

As for the G-Box, it's the only Android TV box I've used and it's dreadful for anything other than Kodi. If you want something that can play all kinds of files locally, it's good, but as soon as you introduce any type of streaming it falls apart; super slow, awkward to navigate anything beyond simple arrow and select functions.

I'm really interested in the Nvidia Shield now, though. I never paid much attention to it because it seemed more like a "gaming" box which I don't want, but it sounds promising.

So, basically, I can't in good conscience recommend Android TV, and I've never tried Chromecast. If you don't mind using your phone, it sounds like the best option. If you don't need to play local files outside of Plex, I really do recommend the Apple TV, especially if you have other streaming services like Netflix. The only one not present on tvOS is Amazon Prime.

On 7/22/2016 at 4:36 PM, ogretactics said:

I know it's a dirty word around here, but Apple *gasp* makes a great set top box with the AppleTV. I've used just about everything...Roku 3, WDTV Live, Boxee Box (RIP, they were awesome), G-Box Q2, laptop with and HDMI cable plugged into the TV and a wireless media keyboard and the new AppleTV is the best, IMHO. If you just want it for Plex, it will work great. It can't handle virtually any media files locally, and doesn't even support plugging in a USB storage device but for streaming it works really good.

As for the G-Box, it's the only Android TV box I've used and it's dreadful for anything other than Kodi. If you want something that can play all kinds of files locally, it's good, but as soon as you introduce any type of streaming it falls apart; super slow, awkward to navigate anything beyond simple arrow and select functions.

I'm really interested in the Nvidia Shield now, though. I never paid much attention to it because it seemed more like a "gaming" box which I don't want, but it sounds promising.

So, basically, I can't in good conscience recommend Android TV, and I've never tried Chromecast. If you don't mind using your phone, it sounds like the best option. If you don't need to play local files outside of Plex, I really do recommend the Apple TV, especially if you have other streaming services like Netflix. The only one not present on tvOS is Amazon Prime.

Get da Nvidia Shield TV.. It's BOSS I heard.