DisplayPort, GTX 970, and Monitor Issues

XRylexX

I've just recently started experiencing issues with a newly purchased monitor, an Acer predator XB271HU, and my older Asus strix GTX 970 card. I've been using a DisplayPort connection between the two just fine for the past week or two, no problems whatsoever; it was just plug and play. Just a few hours ago I was tweaking the GPUs fan speed like I always do, the screen flashed and displayed "no signal". Restarting didn't fix the issue, I see my bios start and then the windows 10 loading screen come up, but once loaded it flashes again and goes back to no signal, but I can hear the windows welcome/startup sound like normal in my speakers.

I tested another DisplayPort cable and got the same issue. But when I use an HDMI cable everything works fine, windows loads and I am able to log in. I've been browsing for answers for hours, but nothing pertains to my specific issue. I've tried everything I've come across but nothing seems to work. I only have a single monitor, no more than that. I've tried starting without the GPU, I've tried changing settings in the nvidia control panel, but nothing will get it to detect the monitor via DisplayPort once windows is loaded. I can't even see DisplayPort as a connection option in nvidias control panel. Things seem to work through HDMI, but I really didn't want to spend the money on a 144hz capable monitor to be confined at 60. I've also heard that 970s and the like have had many problems with DisplayPort connections, but I have no idea how to determine if it is the GPU. I've also heard the issue could be with Windows 10 itself.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. I really need to figure out if it is a monitor issue while I till have the window open to return it, so any help is appreciated. I just created an account here to try and find some answers, so I'm hoping I'm posting this in the right area and such. 

I had an issue with my HDMI not working, and a DVI worked, turned out to be the cable, but if a different cable worked, Try to plug in multiple cables to the monitor at once, and see if It detects the other connections. I used DVI and HDMI at the same time and saw both recognizing, but HDMI was dead. If you have another monitor or displayport GPU, try those to see which link in the chain fixes.

38 minutes ago, UnitD77 said:

I had an issue with my HDMI not working, and a DVI worked, turned out to be the cable, but if a different cable worked, Try to plug in multiple cables to the monitor at once, and see if It detects the other connections. I used DVI and HDMI at the same time and saw both recognizing, but HDMI was dead. If you have another monitor or displayport GPU, try those to see which link in the chain fixes.

----

EDIT: I tried what I said, but to no avail. The PC runs fine via HDMI to the tv, but plugging in the monitor via DisplayPort causes windows to adapt to having two monitors connected. So apparently windows knows it's there. But there is no signal reaching it. Yeah, I still have no idea what to do. Never experienced anything like this. Maybe I can get a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter for the monitor, and at least then I could determine if it is the monitor's hookup or the GPU's. Or maybe I'm just crazy. Still looking for ideas if anyone thinks of any, it is appreciated. 

----

Thank you for the reply, I actually tried that not too long ago. Unfortunately the monitor only has a DisplayPort and an HDMI hookup, and having them both connected still seems to default to HDMI. In the nvidia control panel it still only shows me that HDMI is the only available connection. Unfortunately I don't have anothe monitor with DVI or DisplayPort hookups, but I do have a small tv with HDMI. I'll try connecting the tv and the monitor at the same time and see if I can get it to let me mess with the multiple monitor setting, I've heard others saying that they fixed similar problems that way.

Edited by XRylexX

• 3 weeks later...

looking on Nvidia Control panel there is a "My display is not shown" option under the set up multiple displays section. Try running that troubleshooter to see if it can detect it then. Something I found to try. Other than that, Besides checking each component individually I don't have any other advice. Sorry. Hope you get it working.

• 2 years later...

Its been 3 years and i have the exact problem. Wonder if you ever fixed this issue.

I have an Acer predator XB271H 144hz G-Sync & an Asus VG248QE 144hz.

GPU: GTX 970 MSI.

My Acer works fine with HDMI, but doesnt get a proper signal with displayport. I have tried the Acer with displayport on my brothers PC, and it works!

I switched it to 60hz on my brothers PC, plugged it back on my own, and it works too, problem is i cant get it above 85hz. My displayport is fine, since it works on my brothers PC, and on my Asus monitor.

My GPU works flawlessly on my Asus, but gives problems on the Acer.

I have used Display Driver Uninstaller, cleaning out all Nvidia drivers, re-installing them, i have tried everything else in Windows settings and Nvidia Control Panel.

The only thing i havn't tried is to make a new installation of Windows. Im going to try that now, i really hope you guys have a fix for this.