RX 480 huh? Is that what the kids are into these days?

Spooks_

480 is forward with it's day beginning, 970 is old and had it's wad shot.

Think of the future and who is actually working towards you going VR.

And then take the money you save and buy an SSD.

11 hours ago, Lotus said:

You do realize just how close the 970 and 980 are in performance right? Ignoring the VRAM issue, the 980 is only about 20-25% faster than the 970. Given the average benchmark has the 480 already ahead of the 970, driver optimizations and factory OC's from AIBs can easily make up for the rest in a little while.

980ti is unrealistic in DX11, but the GTX 980 is within reach.

20-25% is a rather decent difference, and that performance isn't going to just come from driver optimization and overclock. I have no doubt we might be able to get an additional 10-15% at MAX, which will still have it be a bit behind the 980.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

True, but this means one of two things, either amd already figured out drivers and now will see far less improvements from that in the future, or AMD hasn't figured out drivers and will be fiddling with this for a year before it lives up to the hype

Well they've had 3 whole years to fiddle with hawaii and the 390x is close to the 980 so...yeah, if they can optimise the RX480 like that then with a healthy OC and nice drivers then 980ti performance (almost) from a $200 card anyone?

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

11 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well they've had 3 whole years to fiddle with hawaii and the 390x is close to the 980 so...yeah, if they can optimise the RX480 like that then with a healthy OC and nice drivers then 980ti performance (almost) from a $200 card anyone?

The 390x was always close to the GTX 980, however the RX 480 will NEVER be close to the 980ti. You're hyping the card up to be way more than it is.

Is it a great budget GPU? YES.

Is it a great value for the money? YES.

Should we expect to see an additional 25% performance increase come from drivers and an OC? NO.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

i dont care the exact performance 1080p highest settings 60fps is all i need bro

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

23 minutes ago, molude said:

Let the people dream...

Day 1 drivers != Best

24 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

It will never be close to a 980 or 980ti. It barely beats the 970 in certain titles, with better aftermarket GPU's it'll beat it by a slightly larger margin, but lets not kid ourselves here- it'll never be that close to a 980 or 980ti.

Day 1 drivers != Best

25 minutes ago, 21rkosta said:

@wcreek @thony remember that the 970 is on a very mature driver, while the 480 is not, i expect that it will beat out 970 after a few driver updates

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Only time will tell, however I'm fairly confident in saying that the RX 480 with driver optimization and non-reference boards will gain performance most certainly, however it'll only be at that point likely 8-12% better than a GTX 970 which is still an amazing value for the performance.

Now please, understand I'm not hating on the RX 480 in ANY way shape or form, however I'm simply stating that from where the benchmarks sit currently I don't expect to see too much more out of this card in the future. AMD and all of AMD's fan boys hyped this card up far too much and made it seem like it was going to be GTX 980 performance at a $200 price point, which quite obviously it is not.

True. I still think that it could be a bit more than that since bringing the clockspeed up to about 1.5GHz gives the RX 480 like 6tflops which does help performance. Regardless if my prediction for the RX 480 is true or not. It's still a great card but if the prediction I made do come true. It could be an even better price/perf card. Perf/watt isn't as good as Nvidia right now. But still beats Nvidia in the price/perf regard.

I didn't think you were hating on the 480. Yeah I agree there was a little too much hype around this card. It's still impressive for what you're getting. But it might've left a sour taste in some people's mouth. Personally, I had hoped that AMD was going to bring an amazing card that could be $50 to $100 cheaper and trade blows with a 1070. Which they kinda did, except for the predecessor to the 1070 (970). Which still today and looking forward will still be a good card. 

I don't remember where I said it... But, I have been on the fence on whether I'll spend more on the 1070 or save some with the 480 and maybe change something. But from these benchmarks, it seems that I don't have to make too many compromises or sacrifices to get it to be a decent card for what I was hoping to do. See it would seem that I could get around 60fps at 1440p by turning the settings down from ultra preset to high preset and sparingly use AA and if I do use it, use FXAA or 2xMSAA (if I'm not mistaken SMAA is more demanding).

Though what might be a deciding factor for me is, aesthetics. I really like the ACX 3.0 on the GTX 1070 which the non-SC model costs $420 from Newegg and EVGA. Not sure where aftermarket PCBs/Coolers will be in terms of price on the 8GB RX 480.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

The 390x was always close to the GTX 980, however the RX 480 will NEVER be close to the 980ti. You're hyping the card up to be way more than it is.

Is it a great budget GPU? YES.

Is it a great value for the money? YES.

Should we expect to see an additional 25% performance increase come from drivers and an OC? NO.

nope, look at when the 390X launched...more powerful than the 970 but quite a bit less powerful than the 980.

Only the future would tell :P, time for the waiting game...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

11 hours ago, wcreek said:

True. I still think that it could be a bit more than that since bringing the clockspeed up to about 1.5GHz gives the RX 480 like 6tflops which does help performance. Regardless if my prediction for the RX 480 is true or not. It's still a great card but if the prediction I made do come true. It could be an even better price/perf card. Perf/watt isn't as good as Nvidia right now. But still beats Nvidia in the price/perf regard.

I didn't think you were hating on the 480. Yeah I agree there was a little too much hype around this card. It's still impressive for what you're getting. But it might've left a sour taste in some people's mouth. Personally, I had hoped that AMD was going to bring an amazing card that could be $50 to $100 cheaper and trade blows with a 1070. Which they kinda did, except for the predecessor to the 1070 (970). Which still today and looking forward will still be a good card. 

I don't remember where I said it... But, I have been on the fence on whether I'll spend more on the 1070 or save some with the 480 and maybe change something. But from these benchmarks, it seems that I don't have to make too many compromises or sacrifices to get it to be a decent card for what I was hoping to do. See it would seem that I could get around 60fps at 1440p by turning the settings down from ultra preset to high preset and sparingly use AA and if I do use it, use FXAA or 2xMSAA (if I'm not mistaken SMAA is more demanding).

Though what might be a deciding factor for me is, aesthetics. I really like the ACX 3.0 on the GTX 1070 which the non-SC model costs $420 from Newegg and EVGA. Not sure where aftermarket PCBs/Coolers will be in terms of price on the 8GB RX 480.

We know from the past that NVIDIA's tflops =/= AMD's tflops. The cards can have similar numbers but perform significantly different.

Right now the RX 480 is the BEST $200 GPU you can get, and if you're considering a 970 you should get a RX 480 for the lower power draw and more VRAM, the NVIDIA GTX 1060 is on the horizion and there's not telling where that GPU will land, but I can safley assume right next to the RX 480.

It's very easy to see a trend in performance per generation, the top tier  GPU is a massive leap, however perfomance steps down a tier per generation, at least for NVIDIA.

I borrowed some GPU's a few months ago and did some testing, a GTX 680 = a GTX 770 = a GTX 960, the numbers are very similar so I'm assuming from this trend we'll see GTX 970 or greater performance from the 1060.

1 hour ago, Spooks_ said:

So, I'm confused.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a better GPU...

RX 480 or GTX 970?

Or another GPU that's good on a tight budget?

What card do you currently have? I would wait for aftermarket 480's and a few software updates from AMD.

Funny I just typed 'Rip' when I wanted to type 480 on my phone.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

52 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

We know from the past that NVIDIA's tflops =/= AMD's tflops. The cards can have similar numbers but perform significantly different.

Right now the RX 480 is the BEST $200 GPU you can get, and if you're considering a 970 you should get a RX 480 for the lower power draw and more VRAM, the NVIDIA GTX 1060 is on the horizion and there's not telling where that GPU will land, but I can safley assume right next to the RX 480.

It's very easy to see a trend in performance per generation, the top tier  GPU is a massive leap, however perfomance steps down a tier per generation, at least for NVIDIA.

I borrowed some GPU's a few months ago and did some testing, a GTX 680 = a GTX 770 = a GTX 960, the numbers are very similar so I'm assuming from this trend we'll see GTX 970 or greater performance from the 1060.

See yeah, I'm looking at either maybe working/saving a bit longer to get the GTX 1070. Or if I just go with the RX 480, and don't have to save/work as long.

32 minutes ago, FRN said:

What card do you currently have? I would wait for aftermarket 480's and a few software updates from AMD.

Funny I just typed 'Rip' when I wanted to type 480 on my phone.

OP has a GTX 960.

8 hours ago, wcreek said:

RX 480 is cheaper, and with drivers. Could get closer to a 980 or 980ti. Also aftermarket cards and OCing could help that too.

No it cant get  to 980 and has absolute no chance of reaching 980ti LOL. Havent u watched the reviews ? Its not a good overclocker....

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

8 minutes ago, Thony said:

No it cant get  to 980 and has absolute no chance of reaching 980ti LOL. Havent u watched the reviews ? Its not a good overclocker....

Those are the reference cards, that can't overclock. Something like the Sapphire Nitro will probably OC just fine. Yes I have watched the reviews, but I don't recall them talking about OCs. No need to get salty, over the potential that this card has.

Right now yeah, it's not the greatest from the stand point of an enthusiast. But for what AMD told us and what it is, it's pretty good. Wished it was better but it's not like absolute shit, and like I said reference cards with either a single 8 pin or two 6 pins will probably be fine. Like someone said (forgot the username) AMD could just fix this voltage or wattage issue with a "sneaky vBIOS update" Or probably third party cards giving the card more juice through the plugs.

11 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Those are the reference cards, that can't overclock. Something like the Sapphire Nitro will probably OC just fine. Yes I have watched the reviews, but I don't recall them talking about OCs. No need to get salty, over the potential that this card has.

Right now yeah, it's not the greatest from the stand point of an enthusiast. But for what AMD told us and what it is, it's pretty good. Wished it was better but it's not like absolute shit, and like I said reference cards with either a single 8 pin or two 6 pins will probably be fine. Like someone said (forgot the username) AMD could just fix this voltage or wattage issue with a "sneaky vBIOS update" Or probably third party cards giving the card more juice through the plugs.

This seems to be the big thing.  I don't get why they would not do a simple 8 pin connector.  The VRM can handle the juice.

So far a foreign tech site has put on a cooler with heat pipes (not like the aluminum block the ref has) and was able to test at 1400MHz.  FS scores were higher than the GTX 980 at this frequency.  I would still want more outlets testing like this to be confident though.

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Foc.jagatreview.com%2F2016%2F06%2Fteaser-overclocking-amd-radeon-rx480-ke-1-4ghz-dengan-cooler-3rd-party%2F&edit-text=&act=url

Gamers Nexus did a tear down and will custom cool it soon.

5 minutes ago, stconquest said:

This seems to be the big thing.  I don't get why they would not do a simple 8 pin connector.  The VRM can handle the juice.

So far a foreign tech site has put a cooler with heat pipes (not like the aluminum block the ref has) and was able to test at 1400MHz.  FS scores were higher than the GTX 980 at this frequency.  I would still want more outlets testing like this to be confident though.

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Foc.jagatreview.com%2F2016%2F06%2Fteaser-overclocking-amd-radeon-rx480-ke-1-4ghz-dengan-cooler-3rd-party%2F&edit-text=&act=url

See, then the Sapphire RX 480 Nitro will probably solve the OC issue. I'm sure XFX will either do 6+6 or 8 pin too. @Thony

3 minutes ago, wcreek said:

See, then the Sapphire RX 480 Nitro will probably solve the OC issue. I'm sure XFX will either do 6+6 or 8 pin too. @Thony

The cooler for the 480 is really shitty.  ...and it likes power, so 6-pin was a bad idea.

8 hours ago, 21rkosta said:

@wcreek @thony remember that the 970 is on a very mature driver, while the 480 is not, i expect that it will beat out 970 after a few driver updates

Drivers reviewers received are the same customers get when they buy the card.

Jay2cents mentioned it in his review.

With only single 6pin I do t expect the reference to beat 970 across the board.

With aftermarket cards it should be possible. But if the price shoots up to$270 it's performance per dollar will sink. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

My reply is in there and I stay by it.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Oy vey! spend the extra shekels for the exact same product with patented 3.5GB VRAM Technology

9 hours ago, Lotus said:

You do realize just how close the 970 and 980 are in performance right? Ignoring the VRAM issue, the 980 is only about 20-25% faster than the 970. Given the average benchmark has the 480 already ahead of the 970, driver optimizations and factory OC's from AIBs can easily make up for the rest in a little while.

980ti is unrealistic in DX11, but the GTX 980 is within reach.

Please bear in mind this comment relates only to the 970 vs 980 argument I've seen people mention many times:

20-25% is not "close" by any stretch of imagination, it's about as close as a VW Golf GTI is close to a Porsche 911 S in a 0-60 sprint. 25% is a quarter for God's sake.

Also many people, when comparing a lower tier card to a higher tier (e.g. 970 to 980) love to call upon overclocking the lower tier card to scratch the higher tier peformance, but intentionally forgetting to mention the fact that the higher tier card can be overclocked as well, and that performance is simply out of reach for lower tier ;)

And then there's the VRAM issue... :)

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.