AMD once again violating power specifications? (AMD RX-480)

Majestic
1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

I imagine a 1060 being 5-15% faster at launch for $250-300. I also imagine that an RX 480 will be faster within a year or two.

I don't think Nvidia wants to sacrifice margins to stomp on AMD and it probably won't last either, so they'll end up in a position where they have a card that's already lower in price than they want to and could be forced to lower it further to stay competitive. Nah, they'll price it higher from the get go and lower it when the RX 480 starts to surpass it.

I am optimistic actually for to it to be much better within 6 months, AMD does need time to deliver the drivers, but not that much. And we'll see for the 1060.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

20 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Lmao yeah toms hardware.

Let them firstly officialy proof that the board went out because of pci-e peak power overshoot.

Let them proof it, they could verywell have messed up something else.

But yeah this is typical Toms :D

Its realy the last thing i have to say about it.

The cards are getting tested for standards, on which they have to pass.

Do you remember the xfx R9-295 X2 with dual 8 pins, drawing more then 450W?

It did not burn out any motherboard pci-e slot either right?.

Power overshoot normaly gets handled by the psu.

Those overdrew the cables, and enthusiast power supplies have been designed to do that ever since the 6990. Further, did you read their updated article? There are pictures of the burnt traces. It's definitely the PCIe slot that died.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I am optimistic actually for to it to be much better within 6 months, AMD does need time to deliver the drivers, but not that much. And we'll see for the 1060.

True, I also think we'll see significant gains earlier than that (although there will probably be gains perpetually just like previous gen cards), but I'm trying not be too aggressively optimistic in my assumptions. Otherwise you'll end up like at least 50% of this forum with too high a sodium concentration in their bloodstream.

5 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Those overdrew the cables, and enthusiast power supplies have been designed to do that ever since the 6990. Further, did you read their updated article? There are pictures of the burnt traces. It's definitely the PCIe slot that died.

Link to the article please. I couldn't find any updates in the original TH article nor did I see any new articles. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

can you link the updated article

Well we will see in the long run if this is exaly an issue or not.

I personaly think that Toms did fuck their shit up.

If we never hear about this issue again, then its a non issue. :)

Fact is that those cards are getting trough tons of tests before they getting released.

2 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

You're hearing about it from French and German review sites too.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

4 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Fact is that those cards are getting trough tons of tests before they getting released.

According to @LAwLz several other reviewers have also found the 480 to overdraw on the PCIE slot. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Can you link those reviews that claim it has destroyed their MBOs? 

Sure but did they tested and had the same issue?

Or do they just copy a story.

Its definitely not impossible that the cards power overshoot has killed that pci-e slot.

But its realy very rare and unlikely, unless they messed something realy up.

Or there actualy is a serious issue with the power delivery to those cards.

If we do hear more about this, then it will be realy bad for AMD.

If we never hear from it again, then it probably is a non issue.

Asrock OC formula boards are not just cheap boards for that matter.

7 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Apologies, it's a bit early in the morning (or actually stupid late for me right now) and I'm tripping. Everyone is finding overdraw problems on the PCIe slot. Some haven't been willing to push it past 120W over the slot. At least AMD is listening on reddit for now. For now, Tom's is the only one claiming to have borked a test bench.

Edit: I'm in the air over the Pacific right now on my way to Brisbane.

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

@patrickjp93

The article. Where is it? No one can find it it. I've asked for the source, I haven't gotten one yet. I realize you always refuse to provide sources but I can't rely on faith here.

So I'll ask you again

Same review article as before. They added a page to the end including OC data and mobo pictures, unless it's been taken down for revision.

5 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Watching you guys constantly ask Patrick for sources never fails to crack me up xD

-------

Current Rig

-------

Same review article as before. They added a page to the end including OC data and mobo pictures, unless it's been taken down for revision.

Skærmbillede 2016-06-30 kl. 18.10.08.png

Nothing on Tom's. Are you sure it's Tom's? Are you sure you're not dreaming?

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

It still does peak at more than 300W.

You can't compare apple and oranges.

That remark clearly talks about the fact that people blame AMD for endangering motherboards with short spikes at 300W on the total package, which clearly the graph above shows the 1080 is doing the exact same thing.

Only thing then if we are to blame amd and not nvidia is to say that on average the 480 does go above 150W. The debate around here have been more about the spikes than the average draw.

took nearly a full page before someone got it... wow.

The fanboy are strong with this thread.

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Nothing on Tom's. Are you sure it's Tom's? Are you sure you're not dreaming?

Ok, pages 12 and 13 were removed. They were posted about half an hour ago.

9 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Sure but did they tested and had the same issue?

Or do they just copy a story.

Its definitely not impossible that the cards power overshoot has killed that pci-e slot.

But its realy very rare and unlikely, unless they messed something realy up.

Or there actualy is a serious issue with the power delivery to those cards.

If we do hear more about this, then it will be realy bad for AMD.

If we never hear from it again, then it probably is a non issue.

Asrock OC formula boards are not just cheap boards for that matter.

12 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

lots of other people are getting this result from their own testing so it doesnt seem like an isolated incident

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

No, you're deflecting. AMD is pulling 100-110 ff the PCIe slot ALONE at stock settings in some games, most notably The Witcher 3. That is endangering the motherboard, period.

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Watching you guys constantly ask Patrick for sources never fails to crack me up xD

I like to the give everyone the opportunity to make his/her claim, everyone can be right or wrong. No matter the history... most of the time.

4 minutes ago, Prysin said:

What? No, he's still not making the distrinction between PEG and Mainboard draw. 

Not even mentioning the fact that the 1080 is enthusiast, and the 480 is mainstream.

It's about as apples to oranges as you can get.

5 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I've had their page open for the last hour and a half and I don't remember new pages being added or removed.

Interesting. That was a quick withdrawal. Maybe AMD threatened with lawyers or an editor thought it was too early to aim their guns at AMD.

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

I've had their page open for the last hour and a half and I don't remember new pages being added or removed.

Well given I saw them half an hour ago when wccf went nuts over it and the link was being spammed all over, I can tell you they were definitely there.

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Are you trying to imply @patrickjp93 is making up a source? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler