Radeon RX 480 Benchmarks

HKZeroFive
2 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Also not Benching the new Total War game in DX12, but uses 11. Then uses DX12 for Tomb Raider, where dx12 is usually slower than DX11.

Odd choices for me there. 
Interesting thing for me is in Fallout 4 and Assa Creed with full Gameworks settings on the 480 pulls well ahead of the 290X and 390 suddenly, but struggles in the other games.

Yup, should wait for other benches, this guy did choose weird settings.

That was interesting, did they implement the cuda translator or converter? Might be that or the new features that they implemented for gcn 4.

So it's performing at 970-390 levels at half the power draw and like $150 cheaper.

I honestly don't see the problem here. As for the 1.5% overclock resulting in super high temps: either it's just that bad, bad cooler mount or a faulty chip. Before you guys draw many more conclusions wait until the other guys have their videos up, then love/hate all you want.

Ye ole' train

This card still rocks in price/performace in the 4GB version, I honestly don't see why everyone was so hyped/disappointed. It did what it was supposed to.

Wait for one or two waves of drivers and we'll see who truly comes out on top for the majority of the market.

Personally, I'm going to get my hands on a second 390X for $329.99. Hooray for price drops!

Spoiler

Australian Prices: Cheapest 4GB model I've seen is $319 AUD which surprisingly isn't too bad, though the 8GB models range from $379-450 AUD. 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

3 minutes ago, Kobz360 said:

Australian Prices: Cheapest 4GB model I've seen is $319 AUD which surprisingly isn't too bad, though the 8GB models range from $379-450 AUD. 

The 4GB is decent, it's at a solid price point between the GTX 960 and GTX 970 but I'd be tempted to pay $15 more for the MSI R9 390 instead of a reference 8GB RX 480.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

The 4GB is decent, it's at a solid price point between the GTX 960 and GTX 970 but I'd be tempted to pay $15 more for the MSI R9 390.

The cheapest 390 you'll find here is 400-410 AUD, so in that essence it's pretty good ($379 8gb 480 vs 390). I still don't wanna make full conclusions though until I see more reviews. A 1.5% OC affecting Elric's card that badly is quite strange especially considering all the AIB OC'd reference cards. 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

all those people who sold their R9 290s, 390s and GTX970s are about to scratch their eyes out ... good! xD

1) This reviewer is an idiot and probably the most unscientific of all the reviewers I've seen

2) Nvidia fanboys and zMeul's are still fanboying hard I see.  

3) No mention of the fan curve used or what it was at and what the dB rating was at that fan speed

4) no mention of the usage of the new overclocking tool which allows voltage changing

5) No reseating the heatsink to see if it maybe had poor contact or not enough paste.  No investigations done whatsoever. See point #1

6) This forum is no better then WCCF in terms of commenters/trolls/general skepticism or intelligence displayed.  

1 hour ago, Kobz360 said:

The cheapest 390 you'll find here is 400-410 AUD, so in that essence it's pretty good ($379 8gb 480 vs 390). I still don't wanna make full conclusions though until I see more reviews. A 1.5% OC affecting Elric's card that badly is quite strange especially considering all the AIB OC'd reference cards. 

We'll know if he got a bad sample or what in one and a half hour. 1.5% OC is very odd indeed.

8 minutes ago, MilkJugg24 said:

This card still rocks in price/performace in the 4GB version, I honestly don't see why everyone was so hyped/disappointed. It did what it was supposed to.

Wait for one or two waves of drivers and we'll see who truly comes out on top for the majority of the market.

Personally, I'm going to get my hands on a second 390X for $329.99. Hooray for price drops!

Since they showed two of them being as powerfull as a 1080, we could expect it to be close to the 980, I know that ashes runs better on amd and I know the cards were cherry picked, but I was expecting it to be right between the 970 and the 980, not under and overclocking like dogshit

Sorry for Bad English, Baguette here 

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

6 minutes ago, Kobz360 said:

Centre Com is selling one for $395. I'm just happy we're not getting fucked over on prices...

We'll need more reviews to come to a conclusion on the card's overclocking ability but I feel like it'll be the same story.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

23 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Except in Fallout 4 and Assa Syndicate, then it does well somehow with Gameworks features on. I found that rather interesting. Also why Bench Tomb Raider with DX12, but the new Total War game with DX11. Both should be 11 and 12 tests.

Those are the exceptions rather than the norm though. Not what you should base the performance on. But not even in those games it manages to match the 970, which is cheaper (at least in Europe).

9 minutes ago, FatalityDiablo said:

so I guess every game from now on running Dx12 is a "biased amd game" .. rip logic.

No... We got quite a few DX12 games right now, and the gap in Ashes is far bigger than in the other games. There have always been games that favors one manufacturer over the other, even in DX11. I am fairly sure some of the Batman games heavily favored Nvidia cards. Just because that Batman game used DX11 doesn't mean all DX11 games favors Nvidia. Do you understand? Can't believe I have to explain this...

7 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

So it's performing at 970-390 levels at half the power draw and like $150 cheaper.

I honestly don't see the problem here. As for the 1.5% overclock resulting in super high temps: either it's just that bad, bad cooler mount or a faulty chip. Before you guys draw many more conclusions wait until the other guys have their videos up, then love/hate all you want.

It is not 150 dollars cheaper. You can get a GTX 970 for under 300 dollars, and the 8GB model (which was benchmarked here) will not cost 200 USD. It will cost more. So the difference might be ~40 dollars. The R9 390 can also be had for under 300 dollars. It does not perform at 970-390 levels either. It performs worse than those cards.

The problem is that we are getting the same or worse price:performance than we already had. AMD didn't price it at 200 dollars because they wanted to bring better price:performance to the market. They did it because even their own cards from the previous generation is outperforming it at a very similar price.

45 minutes ago, zMeul said:

like no shit xD

150W, but, some spanish (I think) reviewers actually measured the power draw to be quite near 170W - and that puts in GTX970 AIB territory

GloFo doesn't disappoint, like they did with 14nm LPE and delivers a shitty power hungry process node

RX480 ... facepalm AMD xD

"runs a little bit hot" it's an understatement - no wonder some people yesterday pointed this out, specifically

ps: the Ashes result was very disappointing as it's one of AMD's most biased benches

You claimed a 380X performance on it multiple times, where is it now?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

3 minutes ago, raphidy said:

Not really, I want a 480 just for the power draw and not heating my room when gaming.

Lol. Over here with 230w TDP and 20% worse framerates xD. I'll take that room heater any day

The 480 is a joke.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Centre Com is selling one for $395. I'm just happy we're not going fucked over on prices...

We'll need more reviews to come to a conclusion on the card's overclocking ability but I feel like it'll be the same story.

Ahh that's fair enough then. Hopefully MSY (despite their garbage customer service) can deliver even better prices. Our price vs. the US is a lot more logical with this card vs. what's currently going on with out 1070 and 1080 prices. ~$1150-1250 on a 1080 is absolutely insane 

Kinda dissapointed, yeah i know it does approx the same as the 390 but with half the power and heat, which is admirable, but from all the hype and whatnot i was expecting more... Still for the price they are giving it, its a very good deal, its just not the performance jump i was hoping for, so im definitely holding out until vega comes along

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

43 minutes ago, zMeul said:

it's not idiotic at since since there is no law that said the PCIe power can't deliver more than it's "rated" for - just a hind to R9 295X2 and it's monstrous power draw

jump to 3:43

Don't cards also get something like 75W from the PCI-E Lane itself? 
Which is how low-end gpu's are powered.++So taht's 150W from 6-pin + 75W from Mobo.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

*sigh*

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

8 minutes ago, GregButcher said:

Still for the price they are giving it, its a very good deal

But the problem is that it is not a good deal. It's an average deal. Price:performance wise it will be pretty much the same as if you went out and bought a GTX 970 or R9 390 right now. In Sweden, the UK and possibly some other EU countries the 480 is even more expensive than the 970 and 390, making it a worse deal.

It is just as good of a deal as the previous generation cards (and in Europe it is a worse deal).

5 minutes ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

Don't cards also get something like 75W from the PCI-E Lane itself? 
Which is how low-end gpu's are powered.++So taht's 150W from 6-pin + 75W from Mobo.

PCIe 6-pin is rated for 75 watts.

So it's: 75w (6-pin) + 75w (motherboard) = 150 watts.

13 minutes ago, zMeul said:

all those people who sold their R9 290s, 390s and GTX970s are about to scratch their eyes out ... good! xD

Sa.a.sss..aaa..savage. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

5 minutes ago, BbsMentos said:

Since they showed two of them being as powerfull as a 1080, we could expect it to be close to the 980, I know that ashes runs better on amd and I know the cards were cherry picked, but I was expecting it to be right between the 970 and the 980, not under and overclocking like dogshit

Again, we'll have to wait for more drivers to see if the card really stands out.

And the fact that it's in the ballpark of a 970 is doing what people thought it was going to do, which is just to be a plain and simple "VR Ready" card.

Spoiler

Thank god i didn't dump my 390 strix for the 480 :P. I was actually getting tempted to "upgrade". Guess its the gtx 980ti for my next upgrade($550sgd used compared to the gtx1070 at $768).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W