Radeon RX 480 Benchmarks

HKZeroFive

What does the FE edition run at again in a case?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Everyone needs to remember drivers are still in there infancy and it can only get better from here... i hope

What makes me kinda suspicious is that he benchmarked the RX 480 with the FX-8350 system yet the other numbers are from the benchmarks he conducted on the 5820k one.

Edit: Seems to fall in line with my expectations anyway. I wasn't expecting the second coming of Jesus, just a 200 buckaroo vidya card.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

27 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Thoughts: When I die, I want AMD to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.

This was so f*kin' funny, you made me lol so hard xD 

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Definitely a little disappointing, though I'll wait and see how other reviewers' cards perform. Those Fallout 4 and ACS benchmarks are significant outliers, I wonder why that's the case. 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

The other performance is probably driver related if anything, though.

they showed Polaris since fucking January .. it's end of June - what the fuck were they doing all this time?

3 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

You tell me, when you are gaming you set everything on max or try to get at 60 fps by lowering few settings. Also few settings are know to hit specific vendor harder than others

Yes, I try everything max out without msaa. If above 30, it's alright. That's my settings though.

It's standard in the industry to maxout a game because there's no settings above that. You can then compare because you have a baseline which is maxing out a game.

1 minute ago, raphidy said:

Yes, I try everything max out without msaa. If above 30, it's alright. That's my settings though.

It's standard in the industry to maxout a game because there's no settings above that. You can then compare because you have a baseline which is maxing out a game.

Thats given but here he is enabling game works settings that hit AMD harder

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

6 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

Everyone needs to remember drivers are still in there infancy and it can only get better from here... i hope

Drivers, drivers, drivers. Did you see that older games 480 performs worse than the 390 but recent games they are comparable? I think they already did a good job to optimize for recent games. I hope that they continue that trend for future games too.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Investing in marketing, clearly.  AMD's drivers are never in favor of cards that they just release.  It's always been that way.

they developed a OC function that clearly they forgot to teach the reviewers how to use it - assuming it actually works and RX480 is OCable

23 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Not exactly. It's basically slightly worse than a R9 390.

I'll admit the hype got to me... it's disappointing.

And a 1.5% overclock shot the card from 83C to 91C? What the actual fuck?!

Small node + overclocking = big temp increases from what I've seen.

The smaller the process, the closer all the transistors are smashed together, making it harder and harder to dissipate the heat.  It's the reason why the 1080 has serious issues with voltage scaling and getting past that ~2.15 ghz mark.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the OC thing is shotty at the moment.  They'll fix it, but not just yet.

like they "fixed" Crimson - it's still part CCC part .. whatever the fuck that is

on my laptop I don't even bother launching Crimson applet, I go directly CCC

Why dose he not specify what driver he is using]. says 1.5% overclock and dose not say what settings he used to overclock.
this review breaks NDA also snice its 3 hours early

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

Basically Dx12 the 480 is >980, other 99.9% games on Dx11 (or lower) the 480 is <290x/390 .. Conclusion: uppermid range perf/ 199usd, gj AMD! Waiting for Aftermarket coolers for that 1337MHz OC ;-)

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

6 minutes ago, raphidy said:

Drivers, drivers, drivers. Did you see that older games 480 performs worse than the 390 but recent games they are comparable? I think they already did a good job to optimize for recent games. I hope that they continue that trend for future games too.

Also not Benching the new Total War game in DX12, but uses 11. Then uses DX12 for Tomb Raider, where dx12 is usually slower than DX11.

Odd choices for me there. 
Interesting thing for me is in Fallout 4 and Assa Creed with full Gameworks settings on the 480 pulls well ahead of the 290X and 390 suddenly, but struggles in the other games.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I CALLED IT! I FUCKING CALLED IT!

I said it was gonna be a disappointment and it was!!!!!!!!!!!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Well I guess all that 480 ruckus shows that my 390X is still a good choice

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

So in Dx12 it beat the 970 Extreme OC...on stock. That's not bad I think. Remember, it is a 200$ card. It also beat the 390/390x in dx12. As for the OC. This was just one card, with the stock cooler... wait for more benches/other coolers and then we might see something better :)

7 minutes ago, Lays said:

Small node + overclocking = big temp increases from what I've seen.

The smaller the process, the closer all the transistors are smashed together, making it harder and harder to dissipate the heat.  It's the reason why the 1080 has serious issues with voltage scaling and getting past that ~2.15 ghz mark.

And here I was expecting some decent overclocks with this thing. I'll put a little faith in AIB models but from what I've seen (and what you said), I'm second guessing that if it'll ever break 1400 MHz on any of them. 

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

24 minutes ago, zMeul said:

ps: the Ashes result was very disappointing as it's one of AMD's most biased benches

so I guess every game from now on running Dx12 is a "biased amd game" .. rip logic.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

And here I was expecting some decent overclocks with this thing. I'll put a little faith in AIB models but from what I've seen (and what you said), I'm second guessing that if it'll ever break 1400 MHz on any of them. 

the AIB ones won't come out for like a month. For now everyone is stuck with this mess.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

the AIB ones won't come out for like a month. For now everyone is stuck with this mess.

Tis a sad time.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

XFX has a reference card with an OC @ 1330MHz but yeah, we're gonna have to see how this all goes 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150772

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

1 minute ago, FatalityDiablo said:

so I guess every game from now on running Dx12 is a "biased amd game" .. rip logic.

AMD used what now? Ashes !!! to show 2 * RX480 beating a GTX1080 at the AMD press event