Is it safe to change our passwords now?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Further information about what has happened as well as the integrity of user data will be provided shortly to all members.

Since the database was supposedly compromised, is it safe now @Slick @LinusTech to reset passwords?

Will there be a mandatory password reset?

Further information about what has happened as well as the integrity of user data will be provided shortly to all members. - @Windspeed36

2 minutes ago, NoUserHere said:

Since the database was compromised, is it safe now @Slick @LinusTech to reset passwords?

Will there be a mandatory password reset? 

Not sure if the h4x0rs got that far or if they just did some interesting back-end stuff to make the DNS not work but then take the host server down or something.

But I think out of safety they will probably force a password reset.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

so happy I log in threw steam.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I would recommend changing it now, then again when the situation calms down.

Primary: Xeon E3-1231v3, 32GB HyperX, GTX 960

Mobile: Lenovo Thinkpad X61 running Apricity Linux

I use Google to log in to the forum, recommendations on what I should do?

1 minute ago, MrCross said:

I use Google to log in to the forum, recommendations on what I should do?

Dont by any means assume that this is correct, but using google or any other platform like steam to login should remove their ability to get your password, atleast from their database since the external platform (google/steam) handles the login.. :)

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

I use several sites - steam, facebook are the two I think of off the top of my head.  I just changed my password (for the forum native login) from * to 5 PB of *'s ---- just kidding!  I DID change it, just not quite THAT long :D (although sometimes I wonder if I need a 5-quadrillion-character password...)

2 minutes ago, Inrix said:

Dont by any means assume that this is correct, but using google or any other platform like steam to login should remove their ability to get your password, atleast from their database since the external platform (google/steam) handles the login.. :)

This should be correct, it's an OAuth authorisation, so you should be okay. Remove the app from Google to be safe if you want to.

This issue is being evaluated and further information will be provided shortly, earlier connection issues was due to DNS.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

22 minutes ago, Ghost said:

This issue is being evaluated and further information will be provided shortly, earlier connection issues was due to DNS.

That's good news, but always better to be safe than sorry, they are claiming to have a copy of the site's database.

1 minute ago, fortera said:

That's good news, but always better to be safe than sorry, they are claiming to have a copy of the site's database.

I could claim I have a copy of your hard drive. Doesn't make it true. :)

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

1 minute ago, fortera said:

^ First thing I did was make sure two-step was enabled on stuff and am just keeping an eye on accounts and my email :) Though it should be fine

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

I could claim I have a copy of your hard drive. Doesn't make it true. :)

Good point, but like I said, better safe than sorry. :)

1 minute ago, Inrix said:

^ First thing I did was make sure two-step was enabled on stuff and am just keeping an eye on accounts and my email :) Though it should be fine

Doing the same here, this is more of a kick in the butt to make sure I activate 2FA on all possible services.

1 minute ago, NoUserHere said:

@Ghost, Will we see a mandatory password reset?

No reason for one any time soon.

8 minutes ago, Ghost said:

As far as we know the forum remained completely untouched, the issue was due to DNS.

They claim to have the forum database and are putting it up for sale, though.

I couldn't care less. I never use any personal information online, and if I am "forced to", I will just go to my local bank/public library and use their computers. I have no valueable stuff online, in my (several) random mail adresses. I even never check mail anyways. So what if they take things over. Takes only a minute to create new mail accounts etc...

All in all, as I said: couldn't care less.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

They claim to have the forum database and are putting it up for sale, though.

And this guy sold the Eiffel Tower twice: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Lustig

:)

Further information about what has happened as well as the integrity of user data will be provided shortly to all members.

I hope Linus becomes notified of this.
Im not very concerned for OUR safty, last time there was a breach of the forum Linus sent (or tried to send) everyone a warning email and all of that. They are really on top of things.

Best Regards, Goofygiggles

2 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

thanks!