@LinusTech Twitter Account Hacked

SuperBailey
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

On June 28, 2016 the Linus Media Group domain registrar account was compromised.

The exact methodology of the "hack" won't be disclosed for obvious reasons, but I can assure you that despite any claims to the contrary, the appropriate safeguards were in place on our side, and as I type this Yvonne is having a very heated phone discussion with the 3rd party responsible for the breach.

Anyway, the thing most of you are probably wondering about right now is what this means for your forum account or personal information, and the answer is very simple:

NOTHING.

The "hacker" simply changed the DNS settings in the dashboard and did not at any time have access to the linustechtips.com server. Any claims of a database dump are categorically false.

The compromised accounts - including Twitter - have been restored.

I hope this clears things up.

Linus

I was wondering is really Linus at fault?

Looks like Twitter is to blame (? maybe?) or the Phone Serv. Prov.
And if you were Linus how would you prevented this from happening.\

He actually got his twitter back right about now.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

His twitter is coming back :D It's been renamed back to  LTT wheee.gif

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Yeah it's back for now.

Windows 10 Latest Build
RAID 0 Samsung SSD 970 2tb EVO's (4Tb Store)
RTX 3090
9900k DELIDDED with custom copper Rockitcool @ 5ghz 
H150i RGB PRO XT
Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory 1.35v XMP Profile
Phanteks PH-P1200PS 80+ Platinum - Built-in Power Splitter 1200W Fully Modular

Z390 DESIGNARE (rev. 1.0)
Top Mon #2 ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q | NVIDIA G-Sync 100hz

Bottom Mon #1 Alienware Overclocked Refresh Rate #AW3418DW G-Sync 120hz

Server: 2019 DataCenter Edition, 42TB Store RAID 6 | WD Gold Enterprise Class 7200 RPM,SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache

7 minutes ago, lightningterror said:

He actually got his twitter back right about now.

Thought the same. Color is changed from default to orange, the tweets from the guy are gone, but the profile picture is not back yet

EDIT: description is back though

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Thought the same. Color is changed from default to orange, the tweets from the guy are gone, but the profile picture is not back yet

EDIT: description is back though

Give it some time.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

Ahh man He's got to feel so salty and embarrassed.

Windows 10 Latest Build
RTX 3090
H150i RGB PRO XT
Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory 1.35v XMP Profile

Server: 2019 DataCenter Edition, 42TB Store RAID 6 | WD Gold Enterprise Class 7200 RPM,SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache

2 minutes ago, nzgamer41 said:

Just saying, I love the new Twitter logo. Very simplistic.

prolly couldn't find the old pic file in time xD

2 minutes ago, nzgamer41 said:

Just saying, I love the new Twitter logo. Very simplistic.

The end and beginning of an era.

2 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

<snip>

what this means for your forum account or personal information, and the answer is very simple:

NOTHING.

<snip>

Business as usual guys, the man himself is back :Dwheee.gif

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

7 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

On June 28, 2016 the Linus Media Group domain registrar account was compromised.

The exact methodology of the "hack" won't be disclosed for obvious reasons, but I can assure you that despite any claims to the contrary, the appropriate safeguards were in place on our side, and as I type this Yvonne is having a very heated phone discussion with the 3rd party responsible for the breach.

Anyway, the thing most of you are probably wondering about right now is what this means for your forum account or personal information, and the answer is very simple:

NOTHING.

The "hacker" simply changed the DNS settings in the dashboard and did not at any time have access to the linustechtips.com server. Any claims of a database dump are categorically false.

Linus

Thank you very much for the clear up on the whole data breach part.

Good luck with getting everything set up back!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

NOTHING.

The "hacker" simply changed the DNS settings in the dashboard and did not at any time have access to the linustechtips.com server. And claims of a database dump are categorically false.

Linus

Are you aware of how they got into the Twitter account?

I see you have denied techtips888, though why would poodlecorp change it to that?

1 minute ago, rm -rf said:

I see you have denied techtips888, though why would poodlecorp change it to that?

Probably an attempt to give him bad publicity, seeing as he's done videos on choosing secure passwords etc.

Your username though :P copy and paste that into a nice sudo terminal on ubuntu and watch the wrath unleash...

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Thank you for clearing that up.

24 minutes ago, rm -rf said:

Yes we know exactly what happened.

22 minutes ago, 4ndrew said:

Can we expect a return of the legendary profile pic anytime soon? ;)

No, sorry. I'd been meaning to update it for quite some time, so this was a perfect opportunity to do so.

Has anymore safeguards been put in place to prevent this from happening again?

1 minute ago, burnttoastnice said:

Probably an attempt to give him bad publicity, seeing as he's done videos on choosing secure passwords etc.

Your username though :P copy and paste that into a nice sudo terminal on ubuntu and watch the wrath unleash...

They have also made a public commend earlier saying that they were going to hack a YouTube channel with over 5 million subscribers and disable the account.

rm -rf isn't usable in current versions of Ubuntu, even if you are in a sudo terminal

7 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

NOTHING.

Linus

You've been hacked multiple times buddy. My advice Hire a new firm and take some courses on real world security.

Windows 10 Latest Build
RTX 3090
H150i RGB PRO XT

The lvl 99 meme king himself Linus can't be hacked his dankness keep the shady internet beings at bay.

Although our forum accounts have not been compromised, I would still like to remind everyone that changing your password frequently and two-factor authentification is important. Also using different passwords is helpful to reduce multiple accounts being targeted.

1 minute ago, MrCross said:

Has anymore safeguards been put in place to prevent this from happening again?

I imagine that's what Yvonne's heated discussion with said "3rd party" is/will be about.