@LinusTech Twitter Account Hacked

SuperBailey
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

On June 28, 2016 the Linus Media Group domain registrar account was compromised.

The exact methodology of the "hack" won't be disclosed for obvious reasons, but I can assure you that despite any claims to the contrary, the appropriate safeguards were in place on our side, and as I type this Yvonne is having a very heated phone discussion with the 3rd party responsible for the breach.

Anyway, the thing most of you are probably wondering about right now is what this means for your forum account or personal information, and the answer is very simple:

NOTHING.

The "hacker" simply changed the DNS settings in the dashboard and did not at any time have access to the linustechtips.com server. Any claims of a database dump are categorically false.

The compromised accounts - including Twitter - have been restored.

I hope this clears things up.

Linus

3 hours ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Everybody Report Account Hacked On Twitter.

Step 1. Click the Gear 

6f7b2bf213233b87bdee9a20802a73a7.png

Then Click Report

ce1668d41f7e8390dd35379697f24231.png

Then Click Report Channel Hacked

68312b138637c7bc116cb3f8781b051d.png

Because clicking the report button solves everything! Remember kids!

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

3 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Everybody Report Account Hacked On Twitter.

Step 1. Click the Gear 

6f7b2bf213233b87bdee9a20802a73a7.png

Then Click Report

ce1668d41f7e8390dd35379697f24231.png

Then Click Report Channel Hacked

68312b138637c7bc116cb3f8781b051d.png

Was just writing this out, Thanks lol

ok so i got the password. one guy shared it on twitter. ffs hope this turns out well

edit: i tried it, it seemed to work. am i in deep shit now? now that i think it wasn't a good idea to try it... shit im sorry. gg im going to jail4lyfe

2 minutes ago, ben dover kid said:

ok so i got the password. one guy shared it on twitter. ffs hope this turns out well

Seriously?

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

k

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

1 minute ago, Knaj said:

Please don't create pointless threads.

noted

15 minutes ago, SamStrecker said:

I don't get the point of these hacker groups. For one the names are absolutely stupid, second it does nothing, they get no gain from it, and you think a company won't hand back their channel or account. The only gain I have heard is when someone got JayzTwoCents youtube channel they tried to sell it for like $30K but failed.

Earlier this year this guy named Towel hacked the YouTube channel of the Vinesauce streamer Joel Johansson, and after a few days (Google doesn't work on weekends, and the hack occurred over a weekend, so there was nobody at YouTube or Google to give Joel his account back right away) he got aggressive, deleted all of Joel's videos (which proved useless because YouTube keeps backups of every video uploaded to them) and said that Joel will "never" get his account back. He also hijacked the Twitch account of another Vinesauce streamer, KY, and nearly banned everyone who chatted on the main Vinesauce channel on Twitch.

Then Monday hit, Google's business hours resumed and Joel got his account back, with Towel promptly being locked out and all the damage he did being reversed.

If you guys are confused:

https://twitter.com/LinusTech

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

ufLzTNb.png

So, as those of you who actively follow @LinusTech on Twitter will have undoubtedly noticed, the @LinusTech Twitter account has been hacked! The culprit also burned Linus pretty hard, pointing out a certain irony in the possibility that a channel with "TechTips" in its name is in need of some "tech tips."

Will Linus get his Twitter account back? How long will Twitter take to respond? Why am I only now realizing that I typed this entire thing like the end of a comic book? 

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

1 minute ago, Kherm said:

Seriously?

if u on that poodle guys feed someone tweeted the right password. i hope i don't get in trouble for trying it out. when i logged in it said smthing like "we have noticed strange shit on ur account. give email and change ur password" then i closed the tab

First time one I follow on twitter that has been hacked.

but I am not surprised it happened if it is just Twitter, it have happened a lot with twitter users.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 minute ago, Daring said:

Earlier this year this guy named Towel hacked the YouTube channel of the Vinesauce streamer Joel Johansson, and after a few days (Google doesn't work on weekends, and the hack occurred over a weekend, so there was nobody at YouTube or Google to give Joel his account back right away) he got aggressive, deleted all of Joel's videos (which proved useless because YouTube keeps backups of every video uploaded to them) and said that Joel will "never" get his account back.

Then Monday hit, Google's business hours resumed and Joel got his account back, with Towel promptly being locked out and all the damage he did being reversed.

Yeah that was pretty bad until Google got back to work. The fact that his Twitch account got banned for putting "fuck" in as the title of the game was much funnier though

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Serious shit

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

This is already a thread.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

2 minutes ago, DPersonalized said:

ufLzTNb.png

So, as those of you who actively follow @LinusTech on Twitter will have undoubtedly noticed, the @LinusTech Twitter account has been hacked! The culprit also burned Linus pretty hard, pointing out a certain irony in the possibility that a channel with "TechTips" in its name is in need of some "tech tips."

Will Linus get his Twitter account back? How long will Twitter take to respond? Why am I only now realizing that I typed this entire thing like the end of a comic book? 

There are post around this ropic already. Please don't spam this forum with the same topics.

You're shitting me, this idiot group of hackers?

LinusMediaGroup.com has also been taken over

1 minute ago, Kherm said:

Yeah that was pretty bad until Google got back to work. The fact that his Twitch account got banned for putting "fuck" in as the title of the game was much funnier though

Apparently the "Fuck You" game title was reserved, but Joel didn't know that until after he got banned. Even his Twitch contact didn't know why he got banned on the spot instead of just simply being told to change the game title to something else.

4 minutes ago, DPersonalized said:

ufLzTNb.png

Look at this page: https://twitter.com/PoodleCorp

Fucktards at Lizard squad are invovled, and so is fucking Keemstar (that cancerous prick off Youtube).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

First time one I follow on twitter that has been hacked.

but I am not surprised it happened if it is just Twitter.

because looking at other examples out there, the security of Twitter cant be the best when there are people getting trough two step log in multiple times over a long time.

it's because their 2fa is based on the person's phone number

basically, if the hacker gets Linus':

* password,

* phone number,

* and has a chance to infiltrate the phone's connection;

then, you're in!

... but i'm pretty sure linus didn't even have 2fa.