Polish magazines RX480 benchmarks leaked - performance under 970

d0nsen
Go to solution Solved by Trixanity,

Well, it has been officially confirmed. zMeul has blocked half of the LTT forum members because they've proven him wrong. What an exciting debate culture, isn't it?

It's kinda like when as a kid, you'd play with your friend and when he was about to lose he ripped the controller out of your hands or shut off the Playstation so you couldn't win. That's the kinda guy he is.

Also, while he won't be able to read this: common sense dictates that if you feel like one person acts like an asshole, then that person is probably an asshole. If you find that everyone acts like an asshole, you're probably the asshole.

I'll let that one sink in.

c4plDlh.jpg

This screenshot of a polish magazine was posted to /r/hardware a few hours ago. There is some speculation around polaris drivers and outdated drivers but so far it looks like a turd unfortunately.

A quick translation, posted by user /u/AxilyaOryl

NtpjkK.png

Edited by d0nsen
Translation added

If these are legit that is gonna fall quickly lol

Sorry for Bad English, Baguette here 

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

Look just like the previous "leak" don't believe anything until tomorrow, because until then nothing is certain

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

There was also a video of gta V with the alleged 480 lagging quite behind the 970. I concur it could be drivers but also it could be AMD, to the surprise of nobody, cherry picked results and games. 

Probably a bit of both. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well, this doesn't seem like a proper benchmark, so I'd ignore it. I am from Poland so I understand everything there, and it's flawed.

1. They don't even know names for the FireStrike benchmarks.

2. They OC'd the 380X, the 970 and not the 480

3. The testbench CPU is an 6600K, not an i7, to prevent any potential bottlenecks

4. I have no idea why the fuck they benched World of Tanks as it's a CPU-bound game that's not GPU demanding at all and can be played on a haswell i-gpu

5. The 480 still beats an OC'd (!) 970 in FireStrike Extreme.

6. I've never seen this newspaper. Might be fake.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Ouch. AMD regressing here. Progression not regression.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

380X perf for 380X price .. who knew xD

hint hint all those months ago when I told you 480 will be at around 380X perf xD

How a 480 beating an OC'd GTX 970 in FireStrike Extreme is a 380X performance?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

hint hint all those months ago when I told you 480 will be at around 380X perf xD

yet is shows its faster then a OC 380X by about 20%? and that looks like a bad review.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

lol. That makes no sense. That would be like saying the upcoming 1060 performs like a 960 because it also has a 60. While the 1060 replaces the 960, there will be no performance improvements and it'll cost the same, so buy it just because.

The fakeness of this "Polish magazine" is astounding.

"We tested this card in Firestrike Extreme, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Extreme. The results are wildly different but that makes sense. These other cards were tested in completely different benchmarks but still comparable for some reason."

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

yet is shows its faster then a OC 380X by about 20%? and that looks like a bad review.

bad review as I can't seem to be able to find those exact results in FutureMark results database!? 

Since everything is still under NDA and no cards can be boaght yet.

I can highly say that this is just clickbait.

Its just a pile of nonsense.

Just wait for benchmarks from reputable sources.

Because its highly unlike and very doubtfull that AMD would send review samples out to somebody in Poland.

:)

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Looking at the two games that aren't CPU bottlenecked, it's 45 vs. 33 (+36%) and 50 vs. 40 (+25%). And that's with an overclocked 380X.

In the Firestrike benchmarks it's a 20-22% gap.

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

bad review as I can't seem to be able to find those exact results in FutureMark results database!? 

that and the list of issues someone posted above. I don't think its wrong just done badly that makes the results seem all over the place. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Looking at the two games that aren't CPU bottlenecked, it's 45 vs. 33 (+36%) and 50 vs. 40 (+25%). And that's with an overclocked 380X.

In the Firestrike benchmarks it's a 20-22% gap.

don't you mean 10FPS on average at best!?

please stop using percentages to make it look bigger than it actually is - 10FPS avg on non synthetic run is well within margin of error

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

10FPS avg on non synthetic run is well within margin of error

A 25% difference is "within margin of error"? I'd hate to fly a plane engineered by you.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

The numbers doesn't look right to me. an OC 380x beating an OC 970? Witcher 3 at those FPS? 

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

don't you mean 10FPS on average at best!?

please stop using percentages to make it look bigger than it actually is - 10FPS avg on non synthetic run is well within margin of error

50 FPS vs. 40 FPS is a big difference. Using percentages does not make it look bigger than it is, it makes it look exactly how big it actually is, better than an FPS difference ever could. A 10 FPS difference is a big deal at 50 vs. 40 but wouldn't really matter for 120 vs. 130 FPS.

And it's not within the margin of error when the other game shows a 36% performance gain. So stop being such an intolerable fanboy.

Let's just wait before we rush to any conclusions...

One more day...

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

11 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Since everything is still under R&D and no cards can be boaght yet.

I can highly say that this is just clickbait.

Its just a pile of nonsense.

Just wait for benchmarks from reputable sources.

Because its highly unlike and very doubtfull that AMD would send review samples out to somebody in Poland.

:)

How the hell can this possibly be clickbait? Of course its a rumor but how is a hotlinked picture of a printed magazine clickbait?

29 minutes ago, d0nsen said:

How the hell can this possibly be clickbait? Of course its a rumor but how is a hotlinked picture of a printed magazine clickbait?

Because the original person who released this on the www did this for as much clicks as possible probably? :)

Like i said everything is still under NDA, so its very unlikely that somebody in Poland allready tested these cards and put an article in a magazine about it.

9 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

50 FPS vs. 40 FPS is a big difference

no it's not

50 is just like everything between 30 and 60 - you will have tearing and stutter all over; you either cap at 30 or 60, if you can

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

no it's not

50 is just like everything between 30 and 60 - you will have tearing and stutter all over; you either cap at 30 or 60 if you can

Guess you haven't heard of Freesync and G-Sync. Also people were playing without Vsync for years, and there's nothing I would call stuttering at 50 FPS, assuming the framerate (and frame time) is reasonably stable.