Laptop E-gpu questions

Tigercub72

Hi there

As the title states I am wondering about getting a thunderbolt 3 e-gpu. I have a dell xps 13 with a 6200u and I was mainly wondering if this would be enough to power a gtx 1070 in games. I will be playing at 1080p 60Hz so nothing to demanding but am concerned that my cpu will bottleneck the graphics card.

The reason I ask is becuase in my country itll be about the same price to build a mini Itx computer with a 1070 in it and I would rather just have one computer.

So will the 6200u bottleneck it? If it will there is a chance that it will,I can probibly swap laptops and upgrade the xps 13 to have the 6560u instead and so would this be enough?

Again, I'm only playing at 1080p and so this won't be too demanding but im worried about the cpu (and possibly 8gb ram) bottleneck.

Cheers

Will it bottleneck? Yes. Will it pull of 1080p at 60hz? Probably. Worst case you could try the 6560u and see how that goes. I doubt 8GB of RAM will bottleneck anything though unless your RAM usage is exceptionally high.

2 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Will it bottleneck? Yes. Will it pull of 1080p at 60hz? Probably. Worst case you could try the 6560u and see how that goes. I doubt 8GB of RAM will bottleneck anything though unless your RAM usage is exceptionally high.

How much will the bottleneck be? I mainly play Warthunder and will probibly get warhammer total war. Will it be a major bottleneck considering its a hyperthreaded dual core? I'm just wondeirng how much. Apparently thunderbolt 3 means you loose 10% performance but then how much will be lost on the CPU?

If you want the full performance, build a new Mini-ITX PC and use the laptop for everything but gaming. If it will cost the same amount, a desktop PC is more worth it as you are not loosing the full performance. I don't know how/where/why you use your computer, so I can't specifically recommend based on why, but i would only recommend it in certain situations due to performance loss and bottle necking.

Main Rig 1: Intel Core i5-6600k | Cooler Master Seidon 120V Liquid Cooler | Asus Z170-AR | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR4-2400 | Inland Professional 480GB SSD | WD Blue 1TB HDD | Zotac GeForce GTX 960 4GB | NZXT S340 White | Corsair CX 600W PSU | Windows 10 Pro | PCPartPicker Link |

Main Rig 2: Intel Core i7-6700k | CRYORIG H7 Air Cooler | EVGA Z170 FTW | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-3200 | Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB SSD | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | NZXT S340 Elite Matte Black | Corsair RM 750x PSU | Windows 10 Pro | PCPartPicker Link |

Laptop: 2018 15" MacBook Pro | 2.6GHz 6 core i7 | Vega 20 GPU | Mac OS Catalina