Display calibration?

SageOfSpice

So I've been having some issues trying to optimally set up my display. It's easy enough to do when I've got the color pixel format set to YCbCr, but when I set it to RGB Full, I get some strange issues with dark colors. Namely, dark objects kind of just morph together and become completely indistinguishable from one another. I can sort of circumvent this by altering the gamma, but the creates other issues which mimic having too high of a contrast, but altering contrast on the display doesn't reduce the effect.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm using the Windows display color calibration utility.

I'm like, really, really dumb when it comes to monitors, so I'm sorry if I'm missing some relevant information.

Well, if anybody is curious, I've found the solution to my problem.

Initially I'd thought the morphed dark images or as I've now come to learn they are called, "Crushed blacks" were a result of my TV being unable to properly display the full range of RGB. However, after some tinkering, I've found that this is not the case.

While I was trying to adjust the image, I was using Windows image calibration settings, and I could not find a configuration that would allow satisfactory results. So, I decided to use the driver level calibration tools. Low and behold, full RGB range, and no crushed blacks.

Boom. 

So I guess if you ever have a similar situation where you're experiencing these crushed blacks, and no matter how much you tweak your settings you can't get it calibrated, try using the driver level solution before tossing your monitor/TV out the window.