Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BuildToLast

[QUESTION] Custom Hardtubed Watercooling

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello LTT,

 

I am planning on making a project which as you can see in the title, I want to be fully custom watercooled with hardtubes. 

Since this is my first project when it comes to watercooling, I am looking for someone that could make a list of components that I would have to purchase for my build.

In the attachment I did put a picture of the hardware for the PC that I have bought so far.

 

If it would be possible, can you send or create a list with prices included of components that I would need for watercooling.

The website I want to purchase the components from is; EKWB. 

Other websites are fine aswell, I just need quality an as less problems as I can get.

 

 

Thank you for your time, its really appriciated!

 

Sincerly,

Michel van der Donk

Setup.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

You could get an i5 6600k, 600W PSU and a GTX 1080. If this is the first time when you do watercooling, I suggest to stick to soft tubing first. It's a lot easier to do and you'll get a lot of experience with doing so. I've done close to 10 watercooled PC's including a few hardline ones and I tell you- it's very difficult.


See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, blu4 said:

You could get an i5 6600k, 600W PSU and a GTX 1080. If this is the first time when you do watercooling, I suggest to stick to soft tubing first. It's a lot easier to do and you'll get a lot of experience with doing so. I've done close to 10 watercooled PC's including a few hardline ones and I tell you- it's very difficult.

I know that, but I need the i7 for the power. And the graphics card is going to be overkill, so its just for future preferences. Also my dad is a plumber, so I should be fine with the tubing since he has been using and creating tubing for the past 25 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BuildToLast said:

I know that, but I need the i7 for the power. And the graphics card is going to be overkill, so its just for future preferences. Also my dad is a plumber, so I should be fine with the tubing since he has been using and creating tubing for the past 25 years.

Metal tubing is different from acrylic/PETG. Depends what you use the PC for too. You could watch a few videos on Jayztwocents channel on bending acrylic tubing and acrylic vs petg.


See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, blu4 said:

 I've done close to 10 watercooled PC's including a few hardline ones and I tell you- it's very difficult.

It's more of 'pain in the ass', not that difficult :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, blu4 said:

Metal tubing is different from acrylic/PETG. Depends what you use the PC for too. You could watch a few videos on Jayztwocents channel on bending acrylic tubing and acrylic vs petg.

Alright I will keep that in mind, I know he has worked with acrylic bending before. Is there any way you can make me a list of components that I would need? :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BuildToLast said:

Alright I will keep that in mind, I know he has worked with acrylic bending before. Is there any way you can make me a list of components that I would need? :)

PETG is way better for hardline tubing, check the video that JayzTwoCents made about hardline watercooling tubes :)


Sorry for Bad English, Baguette here 

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BuildToLast said:

I know that, but I need the i7 for the power. And the graphics card is going to be overkill, so its just for future preferences. Also my dad is a plumber, so I should be fine with the tubing since he has been using and creating tubing for the past 25 years.

Since others have not posted you a link to it.. here you go:

 

 


PSU Tier List Thread

 

"White Ice"

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | EVGA RTX 2080ti | Flare X 16-16-16-34 3600mhz 16gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 3x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

 

Dedicated Streaming Rig

 Ryzen 7 1800x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Vengeance LPX 3000mhz | Corsair RM550x (2018) | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv 

 Elgato HD60 Pro | Elgato 4k60 Pro mk.2 | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Since others have not posted you a link to it.. here you go:

I can't go to youtube right now cause I'm at work :P


Sorry for Bad English, Baguette here 

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Since others have not posted you a link to it.. here you go:

 

 

Yeah ive been looking into his links for the past week thank you. The only thing I need is a list with stuff that I have to purchase to start building at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BuildToLast said:

Yeah ive been looking into his links for the past week thank you. The only thing I need is a list with stuff that I have to purchase to start building at this point.

I'll toss you a list together real quick. One thing I recommend is that even if you don't go with this exact list, ALWAYS get your tubing and fittings from the same place.


Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Lurick said:

I'll toss you a list together real quick. One thing I recommend is that even if you don't go with this exact list, ALWAYS get your tubing and fittings from the same place.

Yeah I got that, thats what jay2cent told me aswell otherwise its never gonna fit propperly ive heard.. But thanks for the headsup :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BuildToLast said:

Yeah I got that, thats what jay2cent told me aswell otherwise its never gonna fit propperly ive heard.. But thanks for the headsup :D

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/pfq4Cy

 

You'll need 12 of the fittings, at least 8 units of the tubing along with 2 of the coolant. I wasn't sure what theme you might be going for so I just went with the clear coolant and black everywhere else as much as possible. All said and done you're looking at around $650 USD or 590 Euro. I didn't include fans but you'll need 5 120mm fans as well.


Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, Lurick said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/pfq4Cy

 

You'll need 12 of the fittings, at least 8 units of the tubing along with 2 of the coolant. I wasn't sure what theme you might be going for so I just went with the clear coolant and black everywhere else as much as possible. All said and done you're looking at around $650 USD or 590 Euro. I didn't include fans but you'll need 5 120mm fans as well.

Is nickel the best you can use for watercooling? Or can I instead of the CPU and GPU block that you selected take the transparant ones?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BuildToLast said:

Is nickel the best you can use for watercooling? Or can I instead of the CPU and GPU block that you selected take the transparant ones?

Yah you can swap them out just fine. It doesn't really make a difference at all. For the GPU you were referring to this one? https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc1080-gtx-strix-nickel


Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah you can swap them out just fine. It doesn't really make a difference at all. For the GPU you were referring to this one? https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc1080-gtx-strix-nickel

Is there any way I might be able to talk to you in person, since you seem to know allot about it and I have some questions left.. Like throught skype or teamspeak by any chance?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BuildToLast said:

Yeah, I want transparant fluid either way to start off with. But if I would want to add dyes later on that I can atleast see it :)

Ah, if you're going to be going with dyes then I would suggest the following coolant:

https://mayhems.co.uk/coolants/x1-coolants/x1-concentrate-100ml/x1-clear-100ml/

Mayhems has a ton of dyes which are compatible with their coolant, for EK you would have to go with the pastel concentrate only.


Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who just built their first hardline watercooled loop, I highly recommend buying a LOT of extra PETG. Like A LOT. Be prepared for a few days downtime. Do NOT try to get it all done in one night--you'll get frustrated and just make more mistakes.

I also recommend to pick up a few 90degree fittings, for the really tight spots, and the really complicated bends you may have to do. I needed a few of them, and they really saved the day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BbsMentos said:

PETG is way better for hardline tubing, check the video that JayzTwoCents made about hardline watercooling tubes :)

Seriously...  Name a likely scenario where having PETG over acrylic will make a difference? Even if it can take a beating  I can't thin of one... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

Seriously...  Name a likely scenario where having PETG over acrylic will make a difference? Even if it can take a beating  I can't thin of one... 

It's easier to bend. That, to me, is huge. Acrylic is much pickier than PETG temperature-wise.

It's easier to cut and deburr.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×